[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Internet Gambling Ban.

evil_gop_liars

This past December, the United States settled a trade dispute with Canada, Europe, and Japan over the recently enacted Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act.

The U.S. Trade Office won't release the terms of the settlement-an odd development itself, given that the settlement involves U.S. tax dollars, was negotiated by employees of the U.S. government, and isn't likely to involve any information related to national security. But most experts believe that given the immense popularity of online poker, and the fact that America is home not only to most of the world's poker players but also the wealthiest, the settlement was likely in the tens of billions of dollars.

The ban on internet gambling was a travesty of government. A nut-job bible thumping Repuli-nazi named Bill Frist waited until the congressional session was almost over and everyone was either already home or in a hurry to leave Washington. He then paperclipped the law onto another proposal that had zero chance of losing when put to vote. It was a bill on port security. The bottom line of it was, this guy took it upon himself to legislate what Americans can and can't do in the privacy of their own homes, with their own money, in their own spare time.

This bill is the #1 reason why I will NEVER vote for a candidate from the morality police republican party.

The ban on internet gambling was a travesty of government. A nut-job bible thumping Repuli-nazi named Bill Frist waited until the congressional session was almost over and everyone was either already home or in a hurry to leave Washington. He then paperclipped the law onto another proposal that had zero chance of losing when put to vote. It was a bill on port security. The bottom line of it was, this guy took it upon himself to legislate what Americans can and can't do in the privacy of their own homes, with their own money, in their own spare time.

This bill is the #1 reason why I will NEVER vote for a candidate from the morality police republican party.

What you are missing is that there is NOTHING in the bible about gambling being bad. This was about strangling the the gambling industry in the future while building political points from his constituents.

What you are missing is that there is NOTHING in the bible about gambling being bad. This was about strangling the the gambling industry in the future while building political points from his constituents.

And whick constituents do you think he was acting on behalf of? Whatever their reason is, it's people like Frist who feel that their personal beliefs should be everyone's beliefs. These kinds of people frighten me, as they should you.

The bottom line is, this law was passed underhandedly and without popular support. It was a travesty.

I think the Johnny Depp avatar from his role in Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas may have been an earlier tip off.

Nothing against gambling, per se. But there is plenty in there about the love of money being bad. So, I guess if you aren't gambling for financial gain, then its okay. Kinda like when you eat sushi from a gas station that comes free with every fill up.

The bottom line is, this law was passed underhandedly and without popular support. It was a travesty.

It's not alone in being passed this way. There's a ton of crappy laws making their way through the system all the time by being attached to some must-have bill that can't possibly be voted out.

It's not alone in being passed this way. There's a ton of crappy laws making their way through the system all the time by being attached to some must-have bill that can't possibly be voted out.

This is the most inane thing I've ever heard of. I mean, this is even below Third World countries' government. :D Can we start over? :D

I didn't take the time to read this....but is this talking about gambling online as in playing cards etc?....

or placing bets on games etc?...

or all of the above?...

my bookie has a website and that's how I place my bets....but he has to change the website address every 6 months so he doesn't get caught...

I just wish he let me know when he did this :D

Absolutely doesn't make it right and it is f'n underhanded, at best.

This is the most inane thing I've ever heard of. I mean, this is even below Third World countries' government. :D Can we start over? :D

:nod:

Absolutely doesn't make it right and it is f'n underhanded, at best.

Didn't mean to imply it was right in any way, on the contrary, it's totally f'd up. Problem is the volume of new laws, I guess, plus there's Congress being full of lazy bastards who are too busy doing other things like raising money for their next campaign.

It works like pork in the appropriations bills - a ton of crap that would never see the light of day otherwise.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

I didn't take the time to read this....but is this talking about gambling online as in playing cards etc?....

or placing bets on games etc?...

or all of the above?...

my bookie has a website and that's how I place my bets....but he has to change the website address every 6 months so he doesn't get caught...

I just wish he let me know when he did this :D

The bookie stuff has been and will remain to be illegal for the foreseeable future.

The UIGEA did not make it illegal to play online poker, it made it illegal for banks to process transactions to offshore gambling providers, but carved out exceptions for lotteries and horse racing operated out of the US. THis was in direct violation of agreements with the WTO and as such the US was sued by Antigua, the EU, Canada and several other countries. The US response.. F it, we'll just change the treaty. WTO rules against the US on several occassions and now the US would rather pay fines, etc. I believe the actual payoff to Antigua was under $100 million over the next X number of years, and much of that comes in the way of lifting copyright protection for US products, so, in theory an Antgua based company could sell Coca Cola legally without infringing on the Coca-Cola trademark because of the ruling against the US (I'm not 100% certain on this, but it was one of the possible punishments against the US for the treaty violation).