[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dad keeps kid in car

MikesVikes

Dad suspected of leaving year-old son in van as he sat in strip club

David Mantor of Maplewood was arrested on suspicion of leaving the little boy in a locked van for more than three hours. The child suffered frostbite.

By COURTNEY BLANCHARD, Star Tribune

Last update: January 11, 2008 - 7:30 AM

link

With his 1½-year-old son in tow, David Mantor left his Maplewood home Wednesday evening, telling his wife he was headed for the grocery store.

Hours later, police say, Mantor's wife bailed him out of jail in western Wisconsin, after he was arrested on suspicion of leaving the little boy in a locked van for more than three hours as he sat in a strip club. Charges are being considered.

The manager at the Cajun Club in Houlton, Wis., called police after a customer noticed a baby strapped in a car seat in the van in the club's parking lot. It was about 30 degrees outside.

The boy, who was wearing a coat, suffered frostbite on his face and other exposed skin, said St. Croix County Sheriff Dennis Hillstead.

Mantor, 45, was arrested about 1:30 a.m. Thursday on suspicion of misdemeanor child neglect, he said.

Authorities took the baby to a hospital in Hudson, Wis., Hillstead said.

The St. Croix County district attorney's office said it is still reviewing the case and hadn't filed charges as of Thursday. Child protection services of Wisconsin and Minnesota will also review the case.

Hospital officials declined to give the child's condition Thursday night.

The boy was awake and responsive when emergency officials found him, Hillstead said.

Temperatures were relatively warm for January, "otherwise we might have a different situation," Hillstead said. The National Weather Service reported a record high of 50 degrees in Houlton during the day Wednesday.

The Mantors' neighbor, Donna Gervais, said she looked after the Mantors' 4-year-old daughter while his wife bailed him out of jail about 2:30 a.m. Thursday.

When he returned, "he was very upset and very near to tears," Gervais said. "All he said is he messed up, and he's so sorry for what happened."

Gervais called the situation shocking, adding that she has never seen her neighbors mistreat their two children or suspected them of doing so.

"I've never seen anything go wrong in that house," Gervais said. "They're very good parents. Those kids are very well-loved."

Gervais said her granddaughter often goes over to the Mantors' home to play with their children under the supervision of Mantor's wife, 32, a stay-at-home mom.

"I don't know what's going on,' she said. "But it's just a fluke that something like this happened."

Club paged van's owner

Hillstead said employees at the Cajun Club told police that Mantor's van had been in the parking lot for more than three hours without anyone going out to it.

Police looked up the van's owner and asked the club to announce Mantor's name over the loudspeaker.

Tess Ross, manager of the Cajun Club, said one of the club's regular customers had left the club for home and heard a baby crying when he walked by the van. The customer went back into the club and whispered to her that he thought there was a baby in a vehicle outside. Ross sent an employee out to confirm that observation, then called police.

"My heart fell when I went out there and saw the little boy crying," said Ross, a mother of four.

Ross said Mantor arrived at the club about 9:30 p.m. and spent his time drinking and watching the strippers. At no time did she see him looking concerned or looking out a window in the front of the club, where the van was parked. "He didn't seem worried or anything," she said. "He just seemed like he was out for a good time. That's why it was baffling when I discovered all this was going on."

The Cajun Club is about 2 miles from Stillwater, just across the St. Croix River, Hillstead said. It's not uncommon for Minnesotans to frequent the club, he said.

According to public records, Mantor has been booked by police more than a dozen times on minor offenses such as traffic violations and disorderly conduct.

Ya know what really ticks me off about this story? This... misdemeanor child neglect. :D

The leave your baby in the freezing car for hours (could have just left the kid at home with Mom by the way) and he ends up with frostbite on his face because you have to get some skank to rub up against you??? F that! Don't try to sell me on a misdemeanor... this guy should end up doing some jail time.

What a freaking loser.

OK, at the risk of derailing the topic, perhaps this would be a good time to bring this up. Not long ago, somebody posted a thread about some woman in England who didn't want kids because they were bad for the environment. Everybody piled on about what a whack job she was without also noticing the whacked agenda of the author going on and on about what a horrible thing it was that she wasn't having a baby. Now, chick did seem like an eco-nut, but what I took from that is that people's decisions to not have children tend to be more scrutinized than their decisions to have them.

A couple announces their having a baby. Unless they're junkies or something, everyone chimes in with how great that is. "Oh, you must be so excited! How great for you!"

A couple announces they've decided not to have kids. First thing they hear is, "Really? Why's that?" Like you need a reason not to embark on a very long relationship with a human who relies on you almost 100% for support and training.

Every time I read about some crappy parent, I'm reminded of how strange this is. That maybe 3 of 4 times when somebody asks me if I have kids and I explain that we don't plan on having them, I'm asked why.

Now, imagine what an ass you would sound like if you dared ask the same question to somebody who just told you there were having a child.

Edited by detlef

What a freaking loser.

OK, at the risk of derailing the topic, perhaps this would be a good time to bring this up. Not long ago, somebody posted a thread about some woman in England who didn't want kids because they were bad for the environment. Everybody piled on about what a whack job she was without also noticing the whacked agenda of the author going on and on about what a horrible thing it was that she wasn't having a baby. Now, chick did seem like an eco-nut, but what I took from that is that people's decisions to not have children tend to be more scrutinized than their decisions to have them.

A couple announces their having a baby. Unless they're junkies or something, everyone chimes in with how great that is. "Oh, you must be so excited! How great for you!"

A couple announces they've decided not to have kids. First thing they hear is, "Really? Why's that?" Like you need a reason not to embark on a very long relationship with a human who relies on you almost 100% for support and training.

Every time I read about some crappy parent, I'm reminded of how strange this is. That maybe 3 of 4 times when somebody asks me if I have kids and I explain that we don't plan on having them, I'm asked why.

Now, imagine what an ass you would sound like if you dared ask the same question to somebody who just told you there were having a child.

I think the big issue with the eco-nut was that she had herself sterilized in her early 20's, thus leaving no options in case she changed her mind later on.

And the dude in the van can now be sterilized.

I think the big issue with the eco-nut was that she had herself sterilized in her early 20's, thus leaving no options in case she changed her mind later on.

And the dude in the van can now be sterilized.

That's not exactly the point.

The point is (and I wish I could find the link), the author was obviously as whacked out in the opposite direction, going on and on about how, rather than lamenting the horrible damage they had done by denying themselves the chance to have a child, they were happy they weren't going to have one. None the less, everyone just went on about how glad they were somebody as messed up as her wouldn't be pushing their genes and thoughts into the world.

Once again, the notion of not having kids being more scrutinized than the notion of having them.

And, there's always the option to adopt.

Didn't this guy's wife think he was taking quite a while down at the grocery store? :D

Exactly.. and why in the hell did he take a one and a half year old to the "grocery store" at 9:30 at night?? Me thinks his wife is equally stupid!

Edited by sundaynfl

:D

Common phrase amongst my friends here in the Lou.

Dam, gotta love Florida. Great club just up the street from my work. We decided to make this a monthly tradition. Got a great "free" lunch of penne a la vodka. 2 shots of patron and 3 bud lights. Not to mention commin back to work smellin like pink. :wacko: Now to avoid any close talkin with the boss the rest of the day. :D

What a freaking loser.

I am in agreement.

And what a horrible story. Be glad that kid wasn't in a car in Phoenix in the summer. He wouldn't have last a half hour. I think the wife should have let him sit in jail. And how do you suspect a person of doing this? Hello!