[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

That's what friends are for

DMD

Pretty cool is all I have to say. When's the last time you carried a full grown man for three hours?

Heroic Teen Saves Friend After Fall In Frigid Swamp

18-Year-Old Carries Friend Three Miles

CHEROKEE COUNTY, S.C. -- A teenager is alive and recovering in a hospital, thanks to a friend who went the extra distance to save him.

Brandon Byars, 19, and Hunter Poole, 18, were on a hunting trip near the intersection of Old Plantation Road and Goucher Green Bethel Road in Cherokee County on Sunday night.

The teens were following hunting dogs across a beaver dam when Byars fell, landing in 5 feet of water. It was so cold the water was icing over, and Byars could not stay afloat.

"He went completely under twice," Poole said.

Poole scrambled down to the water's edge, and was able to pull Byars to the bank. By the time Poole dragged his friend from the water, Byars had no feeling in his legs.

Poole said, "It's cold. You can't feel nothing -- your hands, your feet. Your body just starts shutting down."

"I got him on my shoulders," Poole said,

"He was still conscious, talking to me," Poole said. "But he kept going in and out on me."

He carried Byars a few miles to where he could get help.

They were both soaked and freezing, and it took about three hours for Poole to make it to the location where Byars could be rescued.

"We're like brothers,” Poole said. “I'd have done anything to get him out of there."

The Cherokee Chronicle was there as first responders loaded Byars into an ambulance for the trip to the Upstate Carolina Medical Center.

Byars suffered cuts and hypothermia. The feeling is slowly returning to his legs. He still can't feel from the ankles down, but on Monday he was able to wiggle his toes.

He is expected to be released as soon as sometime on Tuesday.

Byars' father, Bobby Byars, said, "Luckily, my other adopted son -- Hunter -- he was with him."

"If it hadn't been for Hunter, Brandon would be dead," Byars said. "I honestly believe that."

In the meantime, Brandon Byars will be going through some testing to make sure he didn't get a staph infection from the dirty swamp water. But in spite of that, his father is thankful for the happy ending.

"He's alive, that's the main thing," Bobby Byars said. "My youngin's alive."

"If it hadn't been for Hunter, Brandon would be dead," Byars said. "I honestly believe that."

Or maybe he would have been home playing x-box rather than falling into frozen swamps. . .

But seriously, nice story.

PS, amazingly, this isn't on CNN.com :D However they are featuring this great worthy stuff among others:

Latest News

Ticker: Clinton on 'Dancing With Stars'?

Mitchell: Clemens' ex-trainer truthful on steroids 55 min

Missing climbers phone home

'Secret' of Diana's butler trashed

KTVU: Tiger attack 911: My brother's about to die

Deserted cargo ship capsizing in rough sea

Band student punished with handful of spit

Galileo protest halts pope's visit

WTKR: Lawmaker wants 'truck castration'

Cops bill teen $20K for party; he just scoffs

Moose trapped in ice struggles on hoof-tips

:vomit:

That is great DMD, but curse you for getting that song in my head now. :D

that made me want to keep smilin', keep shinin', knowin' that you can always count on me, for sure.

Great story about friendship, but would it have been better for him to help him walk and get circulation going again?

After being immersed in water that is nearly 32 degrees, he could not use his legs. He could not even feel them. Think about the end of the movie Titanic with DiCaprio only colder water and without Kate Winslet there. Or a really big boat. Add in beavers. You're there.

that made me want to keep smilin', keep shinin', knowin' that you can always count on me, for sure.

I really want to borrow (not buy) a copy of your book and smack you upside the head with it, you sick bastage. I had finally purged the $%#@ song and it's back.