[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jones / Trinidad

whomper

What do you guys think of this match up ? I am not going to buy it. I promised myself after Jones/ Tarver 3 that I wouldnt rent another Jones fight because he doesnt really throw punches anymore. I think he is afraid to expose that chin. Tough to guage because we havent seen Tito in a long time. I say Tito wins. If Jones engages I think he gets KO'd. Roy was a freak of nature back in the day but I think he should have hung them up after the back to back KOs. Opinions ?

a very interesting fight ..both guys probably beyond their prime but if they get ready and train real hard should be great

at one time i thought Roy Jones was by far the best boxer in the world pound for pound

I think if he is ready he takes this as imo he is a harder hitter and faster than tito

a very interesting fight ..both guys probably beyond their prime but if they get ready and train real hard should be great

at one time i thought Roy Jones was by far the best boxer in the world pound for pound

I think if he is ready he takes this as imo he is a harder hitter and faster than tito

+1

Thisn is the odds I have from my office

1905  Roy Jones Jr	-350   Over 10½ -105			1906  Felix Trinidad	+290   Under 10½ -125

Edited by whomper

this fight is a catch weight of 170....trinidad beat william joppy at 154...but got worked when he stepped up to 160 to face bernard hopkins....roy is too big for felix...and probably still too quick...in tito yer talking about a guy who is a welterweight.......roy has campaigned all the way up to heavy

it would be interesting to see trinidad land one of his trademark hard left hooks and see if roy still has any legs left...but i doubt that even happens....trinidad needs to see a target in order to let his hands go...and ive heard roy say that during a tito fight while he was working for hbo...i doubt roy gives him a target...

this fight is a catch weight of 170....trinidad beat william joppy at 154...but got worked when he stepped up to 160 to face bernard hopkins....roy is too big for felix...and probably still too quick...in tito yer talking about a guy who is a welterweight.......roy has campaigned all the way up to heavy

it would be interesting to see trinidad land one of his trademark hard left hooks and see if roy still has any legs left...but i doubt that even happens....trinidad needs to see a target in order to let his hands go...and ive heard roy say that during a tito fight while he was working for hbo...i doubt roy gives him a target...

What do you think of the odds I posted above ? Think it goes over 10.5 rds ? Thats the way I am leaning. My gut is telling me Tito might catch him but if I put anything straight up on him it will be small.

This fight only has two possible scenarios IMO: Roy will win an ugly, boring decision (if he has the legs to move for 12) or Tito will pin him against the ropes and KO him. Roy has never been a technically sound defensive fighter (see Mayweather). His defense was his cat-like speed and athleticism. The loss of reflexes and foot speed with age got him pinned against the ropes more and more and eventually KO'd by Tarver and Johnson. Although Tito is robotic, and does not cut off the ring well.... I think Roy will tire enough that Tito will catch him with a big left hook late in the fight and stop him. Tito by TKO 8

Edited by Hitman

What do you think of the odds I posted above ? Think it goes over 10.5 rds ? Thats the way I am leaning. My gut is telling me Tito might catch him but if I put anything straight up on him it will be small.

my gut is telling me the opposite...roy is just naturally bigger...i think this is going the distance...roy will outbox tito...and throw some flurries here and there(probably especially late in the round) in an effort to win and seal the round while getting the crowd on its feet...

roys easily outboxed anthony hanshaw in his last right and worked the ropes well....and hanshaw is relatively young bull in his physical prime...he was pretty hungry...id seen hanshaw fight on showtime before....

i just dont see tito putting fear into roy...and i dont see roy giving him any openings

This fight only has two possible scenarios IMO: Roy will win an ugly, boring decision (if he has the legs to move for 12) or Tito will pin him against the ropes and KO him. Roy has never been a technically sound defensive fighter (see Mayweather). His defense was his cat-like speed and athleticism. The loss of reflexes and foot speed with age got him pinned against the ropes more and more and eventually KO'd by Tarver and Johnson. Although Tito is robotic, and does not cut off the ring well.... I think Roy will tire enough that Tito will catch him with a big left hook late in the fight and stop him. Tito by TKO 8

interesting-

I will be at the sports bar mainly to watch UFC and the BJ Penn/Stevenson fight - but definitely will watch this as well.

Tempting to put some dough on Trinidad since he is such a hugh dog................

As much as I say I wont do it it never fails. Im buying this tonight and watching with my brother in law and brother..I bet Tito at +290 and over 10.5 rds. I also put a small bet on tito decision since it paid +1200..If Tito wins this by decision I hit all 3 and you will hear me scream in joy from NJ

Roy Jones Jr. by UD.

He took this one fairly easily. Tito had the early rounds, but then Roy used his speed, backed Tito up, and landed some solid rights.

I think Jones Jr.-Calzaghe would be a pretty good fight if he doesn't fight Hopkins. Tito didn't really put up much against him tonight, but I think Roy still has something left in the tank.

Edited by budlitebrad

Early rds Tito did well but Jones took over from about 4-5 on..I still think Jones may not fair well against the active top tier fighters. He did look great last night but against a man that Jones didnt think could hurt him..Tarver/ Jones 3 he was reluctant to exchange in fear of getting tagged IMO. Golata / Mollo on the undercard was pretty entertaining. Battle of will for the young Mollo to last 12 rds..

Did you see when the ref almost scored a knockdown on him? :D

:wacko: yep..The fight before that one the russian guy Karmizan ? was a -2200 favorite. 50 bucks on the other guy would have won you 1100 :D