[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calling All Dead Heads

DemonKnight

I am currently reading Phil Lesh's book Searching For The Sound. I have never been into the Grateful Dead and got this book for Christmas. Reading this book is really making me wanna listen to some of thier stuff. I grew up in VA and attended many tribute band shows but never really was into that kind of thing. Saw lots of Dark Star, Umphres McGee, etc. Sure the drugs were great but I just was into heavier music. i think I have mellowed enough now to apprecieate the Dead and now that I'm reading this book it just seems the perfect time to dive in.

So my question is, where should I start? Can you buy any of thier good stuff in a record store? I know there are a ton of bootleged sessions of thiers floating around, is that where I should start? If so, I will pay someone to make me a compilation disk of thier favorites and send it to me.

TIA for any info.

Hey Demon , start with Dick's Picks in my opinion ( live concert CD's made over a period of the years and concerts that the Dead played )

I went to one show in early 1990's ..amazing ..i remember it and then i don't ..it was one of those nights

my favorite song is Viola lee blues

Youtube video of it : Viola Lee

But i have heard better clearer versions ..One of Dick's Picks has a great version of it ( lasts like 15 minutes )

Hey Demon , start with Dick's Picks in my opinion ( live concert CD's made over a period of the years and concerts that the Dead played )

I went to one show in early 1990's ..amazing ..i remember it and then i don't ..it was one of those nights

my favorite song is Viola lee blues

Youtube video of it : Viola Lee

But i have heard better clearer versions ..One of Dick's Picks has a great version of it ( lasts like 15 minutes )

Is that something I could get at Borders?

If so, I will ask someone to make me a compilation disk of thier favorites and send it to me.

Fixed. It's... like... against the moral code of the deadhead to pay or charge for a bootleg or mix. Feel the love.

Just for starting this thread, I'd bet there are 10 huddlers chomping at the bit to send you a mix of their favorite live Dead stuff. I'm guessing Yukon or Brent will be the first ones to arrive, but Sheik could be a sleeper pick.

There are also a ton of places to download tracks for free.

Edited by AtomicCEO

I have all of the Dick's Picks and about 40 other concerts on CD and afair amount of their studio stuff including a bunch on vinyl. I can set up something for you to download or I can mail you something if you PM me an address.

I know you said that you were into harder stuff, but there's a little something for everyone in the Dead. Please be a little more specific about your tastes. Country? Jazz? Folk? Rock? Blues? They really are a blend of it all but not always at the same time.

I have all of the Dick's Picks and about 40 other concerts on CD and afair amount of their studio stuff including a bunch on vinyl. I can set up something for you to download or I can mail you something if you PM me an address.

I know you said that you were into harder stuff, but there's a little something for everyone in the Dead. Please be a little more specific about your tastes. Country? Jazz? Folk? Rock? Blues? They really are a blend of it all but not always at the same time.

Sweet. I have pretty broad tastes these days. I like some folk, traditional country, bluegrass, blues. Nothing "popy". Not a big jazz fan (radio smooth jazz liek Kenny G). I will PM you my address.

WOW! Good for you! I would gladly give you three or four discs worth that would span all the era's of the Dead. That is one thing that you must understand, the Dead has 5 or 6 different stages in their long career with each phase having it's own distinct sound and energy. PM me and I'll get you going. Being a HUGE Umphrey's fan myself, I can lean you into the stuff your searching for.

Peace,

Pete

WOW! Good for you! I would gladly give you three or four discs worth that would span all the era's of the Dead. That is one thing that you must understand, the Dead has 5 or 6 different stages in their long career with each phase having it's own distinct sound and energy. PM me and I'll get you going. Being a HUGE Umphrey's fan myself, I can lean you into the stuff your searching for.

Peace,

Pete

Nice dude, PM sent. I am really looking forward to putting a sound to the faces.

1977-1978

1987-1990

Any rockin' version of Bertha, Sugar Magnolia, or Hell in A Bucket added in with sunshine blaring down on your face. Very few things on Earth match that feeling.

And Rock Scully's book "Living With the Dead" is a fantastic rock n' roll book. Told through the eyes of the road manager from 1967-1986.

1977-1978

1987-1990

Any rockin' version of Bertha, Sugar Magnolia, or Hell in A Bucket added in with sunshine blaring down on your face. Very few things on Earth match that feeling.

And Rock Scully's book "Living With the Dead" is a fantastic rock n' roll book. Told through the eyes of the road manager from 1967-1986.

I never knew that was a cover... the Sublime version was GREAT!

Theyve mentioned Rock Scully in the book in passing. Theyre about to play the '66 Trips Festival.

Sorry, I'm not a big Deadhead. . .just the basics. You'll get better help elsewhere.

Then you are dead to me.

I never knew that was a cover... the Sublime version was GREAT!

This is much worse than the time I got mad at my friend for asking me who was covering Sublime when I was playing The Descendents "Hope" one time.

Seriously, I look forward to the time every year on that first warm sunny day of spring when I can roll the windows down in my car, and blast "Help On The Way > Slipknot > Franklin's Tower" as I drive down the road. It brings such a huge genuine smile to my face. It's like the real new year celebration for me.

That song goes from desparate to chaotic to crazy happy in smooth moves. I love a song that takes you on a journey.

Edited by AtomicCEO

Saw The Dead in Highgate, Vermont in '94 ... Meh. Most entertaining memory was the man who surfaced a day later, still thinking he was Jesus and demanding ammends because as he was absolutely convinced someone stole his f-ing pickup truck ... when he finally came down, it turned out he wasn't Jesus, never had a pickup truck, couldn't remember how he got to Vermont, and needed help to get home to his mother's basement. :D

Without the inspired marketing gimmic of making their concerts essentially police-protected venues for illegal drug use resulting in public defecation and irresponsible sex in cars, tents, and shrubbery, I'm not sure they would have been anything beyond a mediocre garage band ... :D

Or was Garcia truly God and I'm an infidel? :wacko:

Edited by Donutrun Jellies

Without the inspired marketing gimmic of making their concerts essentially police-protected venues for illegal drug use resulting in public defecation and irresponsible sex in cars, tents, and shrubbery, I'm not sure they would have been anything beyond a mediocre garage band ... :D

I disagree.

Saw The Dead in Highgate, Vermont in '94 ... Meh. Most entertaining memory was the man who surfaced a day later, still thinking he was Jesus and demanding ammends because as he was absolutely convinced someone stole his f-ing pickup truck ... when he finally came down, it turned out he wasn't Jesus, never had a pickup truck, couldn't remember how he got to Vermont, and needed help to get home to his mother's basement. :D

Or was Garcia truly God and I'm an infidel? :D

:D

Highgate was a mess. Part of the problem started when Hicksville invited the Dead. The only worse scene I was at was the Phish mess in upstate NY and the traffic leaving Maine.

'94 was at the end and the shows were not nearly as good as they had been. 91-92 were the last decent concerts IMO.

As was said earlier,- 77, 85, 73 were some primo years and there are lots of bootlegs out there. I prefer the Pigpen years and stuff from 69-71. But each of the years I mentioned the band was different due to the changes at keyboard and it has a really different feel.

Maybe we should start a BoTH Dead league. Every team is named after a band member? :wacko:

Edited by Zooty

ill see what i can do.. pm me so i dont forget... i have stuff from 66 to present.. sb, aud's, dicks picks. studio, i can do what ever you wish... i also have alot of jerry, phil, bob, solo stuff .... oh and if youre into drums i have some hart cd's that are cool

Or was Garcia truly God and I'm an infidel? :wacko:

stop mixing the maple syrup with lsd ...

I am currently reading Phil Lesh's book Searching For The Sound. I have never been into the Grateful Dead and got this book for Christmas. Reading this book is really making me wanna listen to some of thier stuff. I grew up in VA and attended many tribute band shows but never really was into that kind of thing. Saw lots of Dark Star, Umphres McGee, etc. Sure the drugs were great but I just was into heavier music. i think I have mellowed enough now to apprecieate the Dead and now that I'm reading this book it just seems the perfect time to dive in.

So my question is, where should I start? Can you buy any of thier good stuff in a record store? I know there are a ton of bootleged sessions of thiers floating around, is that where I should start? If so, I will pay someone to make me a compilation disk of thier favorites and send it to me.

TIA for any info.

phil can get very heavy .... he drops some heavy bombs

the Dead has 5 or 6 different stages in their long career

i counted 8, how do you break it down?

66-69 psycodelic albums and acid tests

70-72 tangible songwriting and more coherent live shows

73-75 album theme oriented writing and the emergence of the typical live show

76-77 the dead in full song writing stride and live shows that are arguably their best

78-82 the 'disco dead' era followed up with their only 'hit' and some acoustic influence

83-86 a down time with no albums and the shows lacked the old spirit, the masses had arrived

87-90 their final songwriting studio push and more technical gaget orinted shows

91-96 the waning years, jerry's health was an issue and the shows were hit or miss

Edited by zmanzzzz