[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pope Benedict warned of the "seductive" powers of science.

evil_gop_liars

So, we should all just disregard the ethical issues in certain areas of biotechnology, such as the cloning of higher forms of life? You do realize that we currently have the technology to clone a human being, right?

I don't agree with everything the Pope says, but his point that scientific research needs to be held to ethical standards is a very valid one.

I hope the next time he gets sick he refuses to take any medicine. If god wants him healed, he'll get better.

God gave man the vision , wisdom and tools to do good and help others ...including making medicine

in same way man has tools , resources and knowledge to make crystal meth ...

the difference is which way do you go with the gifts you get and have

Edited by isleseeya

So, we should all just disregard the ethical issues in certain areas of biotechnology, such as the cloning of higher forms of life? You do realize that we currently have the technology to clone a human being, right?

I don't agree with everything the Pope says, but his point that scientific research needs to be held to ethical standards is a very valid one.

While those are valid concerns, religious leaders of powerful organizations insinuating that people should be skeptical of science, to the point that we need let faith commingle in the process, hasn't historically proven to be the best thing for our country and civilization in general. I can see his heart is probably in the right place. These comments definitely influence an international religious political power play into the scientific realm. I don't like it, but there isn't much I can do.

Edited by bushwacked

While those are valid concerns, religious leaders of powerful organizations insinuating that people should be skeptical of science, to the point that we need let faith commingle in the process, hasn't historically proven to be the best thing for our country and civilization in general. I can see his heart is probably in the right place. These comments definitely influence an international religious political power play into the scientific realm. I don't like it, but there isn't much I can do.

I believe Mr Wheaton said it best.

Generally speaking, there is danger in being too sure that you have the answer.

Athiests, anarchists, fundamentalists, existentialists, Marxists, fascists, capitalists, pacifists, etc...apply this, please...

"In an age when scientific developments attract and seduce with the possibilities they offer, it's more important than ever to educate our contemporaries' consciences so that science does not become the criteria for goodness," he told scientists.

Scientific investigation should be accompanied by "research into anthropology, philosophy and theology" to give insight into "man's own mystery, because no science can say who man is, where he comes from or where he is going", the Pope said.

These comments do not seem unreasonable to me.

Generally speaking, there is danger in being too sure that you have the answer.

Athiests, anarchists, fundamentalists, existentialists, Marxists, fascists, capitalists, pacifists, etc...apply this, please...

True, but I've found that large groups of people who chant in temples on a routine basis generally believe they have the all knowing answer and have more than a headstart on lobbying for political power.

I don't believe that the Pope is lobbying for Christianity to be taught in science courses (and if he is, I strongly disagree). And I don't think that the Vatican should have final say on scientific ethics, although I believe that their opinion should be considered, as well as the opinions of other religious and non-religious organizations.

We live in an age where the ability to conceive human life in a test tube and the ability to wipe out millions of people with a single bomb is considered "yesterday's technology." With all of this power comes a lot of responsibility and it's more important now than ever to strongly consider the ethical ramifications of certain areas of scientific research and draw a consensus ethical line in the sand when needed.

While nobody wants a mob of angry Baptists and Pentacostals burning down molecular biology and genetics labs, the 20th century showed what can happen when "societal progress" is made paramount and morality is pushed completely out of the picture because it's deemed to impede said progress (Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, North Korea, China, etc.). I believe that's part of the bigger picture that the Pope is trying to address.

Edited by Bill Swerski

True, but I've found that large groups of people who chant in temples on a routine basis generally believe they have the all knowing answer and have more than a headstart on lobbying for political power.

When Fabio and I agree, it must be right.

"Man is not the fruit of chance or a bundle of convergences, determinisms or physical and chemical reactions," Benedict told a meeting of academics of different disciplines sponsored by the Paris Academy of Sciences and Pontifical Academy of Sciences.

This is a little vaugue to me. I imagine he's speaking more to the human experience of life and free choice here, but if he's making a scientific statement on origin, well... we've already done that here.