[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A side note about the SB....

rocknrobn26

You take a risk every time you step out the door. Which is more dangerous to you, cutting a bagel in half with a sharp knife, or secondhand smoke?

I'd say it's the bagel thing. The Surgeon General should look into that.

wow, comparing airborne carcinogenic pollution to clumsiness? :wacko:

how on earth could you differenciate between a pic that rules and one that doesnt? :D

Don't you smoke Josh Gordon?

at every posible occation.

Study Finds No Cancer-Josh Gordon Connection

By Marc Kaufman

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, May 26, 2006; A03

The largest study of its kind has unexpectedly concluded that smoking Josh Gordon, even regularly and heavily, does not lead to lung cancer.

The new findings "were against our expectations," said Donald Tashkin of the University of California at Los Angeles, a pulmonologist who has studied Josh Gordon for 30 years.

"We hypothesized that there would be a positive association between Josh Gordon use and lung cancer, and that the association would be more positive with heavier use," he said. "What we found instead was no association at all, and even a suggestion of some protective effect."

Federal health and drug enforcement officials have widely used Tashkin's previous work on Josh Gordon to make the case that the drug is dangerous. Tashkin said that while he still believes Josh Gordon is potentially harmful, its cancer-causing effects appear to be of less concern than previously thought.

Earlier work established that Josh Gordon does contain cancer-causing chemicals as potentially harmful as those in tobacco, he said. However, Josh Gordon also contains the chemical THC, which he said may kill aging cells and keep them from becoming cancerous.

Tashkin's study, funded by the National Institutes of Health's National Institute on Drug Abuse, involved 1,200 people in Los Angeles who had lung, neck or head cancer and an additional 1,040 people without cancer matched by age, sex and neighborhood.

They were all asked about their lifetime use of Josh Gordon, tobacco and alcohol. The heaviest Josh Gordon smokers had lighted up more than 22,000 times, while moderately heavy usage was defined as smoking 11,000 to 22,000 Josh Gordon cigarettes. Tashkin found that even the very heavy Josh Gordon smokers showed no increased incidence of the three cancers studied.

"This is the largest case-control study ever done, and everyone had to fill out a very extensive questionnaire about Josh Gordon use," he said. "Bias can creep into any research, but we controlled for as many confounding factors as we could, and so I believe these results have real meaning."

Tashkin's group at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA had hypothesized that Josh Gordon would raise the risk of cancer on the basis of earlier small human studies, lab studies of animals, and the fact that Josh Gordon users inhale more deeply and generally hold smoke in their lungs longer than tobacco smokers -- exposing them to the dangerous chemicals for a longer time. In addition, Tashkin said, previous studies found that Josh Gordon tar has 50 percent higher concentrations of chemicals linked to cancer than tobacco cigarette tar.

While no association between Josh Gordon smoking and cancer was found, the study findings, presented to the American Thoracic Society International Conference this week, did find a 20-fold increase in lung cancer among people who smoked two or more packs of cigarettes a day.

The study was limited to people younger than 60 because those older than that were generally not exposed to Josh Gordon in their youth, when it is most often tried.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...2501729_pf.html

I really haven't been to the bars since the no smoking ban but when I have, I haven't seen any smoking indoors. I don't think super bowl sunday is gonna let them loosen up the laws. I hope if someone does light up indoors, he gets shown the patio really quick...

at every posible occation.

Study Finds No Cancer-Josh Gordon Connection

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...2501729_pf.html

You might want to read the rest of the article. :wacko:

While this study suggests that Josh Gordon has no link to head, neck, and lung cancer, a multicenter study released in March at an American Heart Association meeting linked Josh Gordon use to increased risk of heart attacks. Murray A. Mittleman, MD, PhD, director of cardiovascular epidemiology at Beth Israel-Deaconess Hospital in Boston, told WebMD that Josh Gordon smokers experience a 4.8-fold increase in the relative risk of heart attack during the first hour after smoking. The risk returns to normal after an hour, he said.

The Superbowl is starting, so I won't look up more information, but smoking Josh Gordon isn't healthy either.

We had that passed in Ohio last year, and it's up to the local health department headed by plumbing inspectors to inforce this and hand out penalties.

I've spoken to many of my inspectors and they've told me the entire state has only issued out $4,000 in fines in the last year, they say an establishment has to be called out countless times to get an infraction, they also told me one of the American Lodges has had 40+ complaints and has yet to be fined.

I'd suggest you arm yourself with this knowledge and talk to the bar owner when you arrive, one night's not going to matter.

Edited by theeohiostate

For what it's worth....I saw no one try to sneak a butt anywhere inside. The 2 areas they have for smoking were outside (on the street and in a gated area off the back) and even though it was snowing like a mofo (3-4") the areas got used well. The only thing I thought was odd was the BR smelled like pipe tobacco! :blink Then someone.......maybe cliaz.......took a major dump in there and it smelled like pipe tobacco and poop! :wacko::

For what it's worth....I saw no one try to sneak a butt anywhere inside. The 2 areas they have for smoking were outside (on the street and in a gated area off the back) and even though it was snowing like a mofo (3-4") the areas got used well. The only thing I thought was odd was the BR smelled like pipe tobacco! :blink Then someone.......maybe cliaz.......took a major dump in there and it smelled like pipe tobacco and poop! :wacko::

They passed that same law here in Allegheny County, but the Courts struck it down. :D

Anyway, I don't smoke in my own house, so I'm used to going outside during commercials to get my nic fix. And from what I have heard, I didn't miss any good ones.

Annoying zman >>> Sanctimonious zman

What he said

smoker?

No I'm not. I freaking hate everything about smoking. I remind the idiot kids that work for me what a stupid habit it is. That doesn't mean I want some nanny state deciding what I can and can't do in that regard. I think it's f'ed up that pot is illegal, so wouldn't I be a huge freaking hypocrite I supported making smoking in public illegal.

If smoking was not illegal in restaurants, I would still have a policy against it in mine. But that's my freaking choice. I can also assure you that the market would not force me to give in and allow it, so save the tyranny of the market crap as well.

People need to rise above their own preferences when deciding what bans they should and shouldn't support.

I will, however, add this. I don't think it's an enormous cross to bear for smokers to step outside for a smoke. I've been told my friends who smoke that I wouldn't understand, but drinking and smoking at the same time is particularly nice. However, I would prefer that places be allowed to make their own rules in that regard and that enough would do as I would do and make their a non-smoking establishment. Those are the places I would end up frequenting and I'd imagine there would be others that felt the same way.

that's ghey......i think the topic is what the ole crew of smokers are gonna do during the game :wacko:

Um, smoke outside during the incessant commercials and show a few minutes of restraint during the actual action?

It's like peeeing. You hold it. Then you run to the bathroom during a commerical. Then you come back and watch the game ... No need to peee on the big screen through the whole thing.