[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Could somebody please explain how delegate representation is determined

wiegie

In Alabama, Obama won the popular vote 56%-42%. But Clinton is actually going to win 21 delegates to Obama's 20.

In California, Clinton looks like she is going to win 52%-42% and Clinton is going to get 42 delegates to Obama's 23. (Meaning that Clinton is getting 65% of CA's delegates.)

What the f' sort of operation are they running here anyway?

It's complicated. There are delegates, bonus delegates(in some states given when a candidate get a large percentage of the votes) and super delegates that can vote anyway they like.

A lot has to do with awarding districts power and not just the overall statewide results.

David Schuster explains it.

It's the Deconstructing Delegates video.

Edited by Randall

I know some states like Texas, are winner takes all. You win the majority and you get all the delegates. I've heard the explanation for breaking down the other distribution of delegates before and it still is a bit confusing since there seems to be no uniformity.

Edited by 'canes2004

Most Republican contests are winner-take-all,. Most Democratic contests are awarded proportionally based on the number of congressional districts won.

That's right. It gives more local say in awarding of delegates.

Then there are caucuses and primaries where republicans can vote in democratic primaries.

Most Democratic contests are awarded proportionally based on the number of congressional districts won.

I've done a little reading and I think it is slightly more complicated than this. I think a certain amount of delegates are assigned to each congressional district and then within each districts the delegates are assigned proportionally.

(or at least that's as close I can figure out so far and I think the rules are different from state to state)

I've done a little reading and I think it is slightly more complicated than this. I think a certain amount of delegates are assigned to each congressional district and then within each districts the delegates are assigned proportionally.

(or at least that's as close I can figure out so far and I think the rules are different from state to state)

I read from a few sources, and that's the easiest explanation. Rules vary from state to state. For example, Michigan and Florida receive no delegates. :wacko:

You can blame Jesse Jackson in 1988 for crying racism and how "winner takes all" hurts minorities and changing all this tp the current system.

I think proportional representation is better than winner-take-all. It's just that when proportional representation isn't really proportional at all that I start to wonder what the hell is going on.

I read from a few sources, and that's the easiest explanation. Rules vary from state to state. For example, Michigan and Florida receive no delegates. :wacko:

I could be wrong on this, but I don't think it's that they get no delegates, I think it's that this year, the Democratic Party penalized those states for having their primaries too early and that all the candidates agreed on this as well as agreed not to campaign there. In fact, I thnk Obama had even taken his name off the ballot in one of them.

I think the "no delegates" is a one-time thing, not a rule of thumb for those states.

Edited by Cunning Runt

I could be wrong on this, but I don't think it's that they get no delegates, I think it's that this year, the Democratic Party penalized those states for having their primaries too early and that all the candidates agreed on this as well as agreed not to campaign there. In fact, I thnk Obama had even taken his name off the ballot in one of them.

I think the "no delegates" is a one-time thing, not a rule of thumb for those states.

That's right. Per democratic party rules states that moved up were penalized and the candidates agreed thery wouldn't campaign there. Hillary had to wait until the polls closed to go there and have her fake "winning rally". :wacko:

The democrats want space between primaries.

I know, but eventually you have to pick someone. Imagine if NY and California were winner take all. Hillary would have the nomination in the bag because Obama won states with 6 people and 12 cows in them last night.

Well if George Bush would agree to leave office now I would be for winner take all. :wacko: Have the election now and let everyone run. .

In Alabama, Obama won the popular vote 56%-42%. But Clinton is actually going to win 21 delegates to Obama's 20.

In California, Clinton looks like she is going to win 52%-42% and Clinton is going to get 42 delegates to Obama's 23. (Meaning that Clinton is getting 65% of CA's delegates.)

What the f' sort of operation are they running here anyway?

Those results are extremely premature and reflect superdelegates in addition to factoring in SOME of the results from last night. Basically, in party nominating primaries and caucuses, the popular vote is only a reflection of what people are doing with their singular vote. The process involves more than just an A/B choice, especially on the Democratic side.

Basically, the race is nowhere near over on the Democratic side. Although there aren't a lot of big states left for Hillary to solidify her lead (and I'm not so sure she'll do well in Ohio, Texas, and Pennsylvania). McCain is a lot closer to the Republican nomination than anyone else.

One interesting thing to note about both sides selecting their candidates: Obama won powerfully everywhere the Democrats are going to lose in November, and McCain won everywhere the Republicans are going to lose. Funny way to select your ticket.

These guys are doing a good job of tracking the super delegates.

They include lists of the super delegates that have endorsed a candidate already and those that have yet to choose a side. If the race stays as close as it is at this point, the super delegates will play a big role.

FWIW, the super delegates can vote for whichever candidate they want when the time comes, even if they happen to represent a portion of the population that doesn't support their choice. Case in point: the Democratic congresswoman that represents our district (Lynn Woolsey, ugh) pledged her support for Hillary in late December and our district as a whole went 50.9% to 41.7% in Obama's favor yesterday.

Edited by turnit643

These guys are doing a good job of tracking the super delegates.

They include lists of the super delegates that have endorsed a candidate already and those that have yet to choose a side. If the race stays as close as it is at this point, the super delegates will play a big role.

FWIW, the super delegates can vote for whichever candidate they want when the time comes, even if they happen to represent a portion of the population that doesn't support their choice. Case in point: the Democratic congresswoman that represents our district (Lynn Woolsey, ugh) pledged her support for Hillary in late December and our district as a whole went 50.9% to 41.7% in Obama's favor yesterday.

Is a super-delegate elected?

Because that sounds like a good reason to vote her out.

Is a super-delegate elected?

Because that sounds like a good reason to vote her out.

Some super delegates hold elected positions (democratic congresspersons, democratic governors, any living former democratic presidents, vice presidents, speakers of the house, and senate majority leaders) and some are just party officials and other members of the democratic national convention.

... and yes, I agree it's another good reason to vote her out.

I know, but eventually you have to pick someone. Imagine if NY and California were winner take all. Hillary would have the nomination in the bag because Obama won states with 6 people and 12 cows in them last night.

Sounds like the typical Dem vs Rep November results...