[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Conservatives against McCain

BeeR

:wacko:

Why?

The conservative base is gun shy. They gave their support to in 2000 and 2004 to big government Chimpy McDrunkmonkey. The base wants someone to represent conservative values. That isn't McCain. Problem number one.

Although McCain is a genuine war hero, he went from a respected Bush critic to towing the party line. Therein, lies the problem...It's hard for anyone, let alone a conservative, to support a guy who is blueprinting his presidency after the worst administration of all time. Problem number two.

mccain was the most conservative candidate in the field when it came to fiscal restraint and refusal to vote for tax increases. conservatives who care primarily about government spending and foreign policy like mccain just fine. conservatives who care about bashing gays and teaching creationism in schools and such don't like him because he has called them out in the past. the talk radio windbags, and in turn their more brainless listeners don't like him -- at least in part, i am convinced -- because it is better for business if a democrat is in the white house than a pragmatic republican.

mccain was the most conservative candidate in the field when it came to fiscal restraint and refusal to vote for tax increases. conservatives who care primarily about government spending and foreign policy like mccain just fine. conservatives who care about bashing gays and teaching creationism in schools and such don't like him because he has called them out in the past. the talk radio windbags, and in turn their more brainless listeners don't like him -- at least in part, i am convinced -- because it is better for business if a democrat is in the white house than a pragmatic republican.

Didn't he vote against the Bush tax cuts? :wacko:

The New York Slimes and the Washington Compost both endorsed McCain. That is all the reason I really need not to like him. As far as being fiscally conservative, Romney was just as conservative. McCain in the Republican party's version of Lieberman.

yep. that would fall more under the "fiscal restraint" part of the sentence you bolded. the other part of the sentence you bolded, that he never voted for a tax increase in 20+ years, holds true. a no vote on a tax cut is not a yes vote on a tax hike, but you knew that.

Yes, but he now says he would not vote to repeal them. I'm not sure I believe that.

he rightly views repealing them 8 years later as a tax increase. he has never voted for a tax increase in his entire career. what logical basis would you have for believing he will go back on his word and start now?

Good post.

He voted against them because Bush/Cheney increased Federal spending at the same time. I don't agree with McCain on every position, but I find it hard to fault him for this one.

Is it fiscally responsible to continue the Bush tax cuts in a time of war when we are adding hundred of billions of dollars of debt annually to a 9 trillion dollar deficit?

well, yes since THAT is what would stimulate the economy and lead to higher revenue for the Gov't.

Is it fiscally responsible to continue the Bush tax cuts in a time of war when we are adding hundred of billions of dollars of debt annually to a 9 trillion dollar deficit?

it is if we cut spending.

would it be fiscally responsible to pay for all of the massive amounts of new chit on obama's platform when we have a 9 trillion dollar debt? :wacko:

it is if we cut spending.

would it be fiscally responsible to pay for all of the massive amounts of new chit on obama's platform when we have a 9 trillion dollar debt? :wacko:

It depends, is he going to borrow to pay for it, or raise taxes to pay for it?

They all spend, left, right, and down the middle. Pay as you go or mortgage the future?

It depends, is he going to borrow to pay for it, or raise taxes to pay for it?

They all spend, left, right, and down the middle. Pay as you go or mortgage the future?

How about cutting spending and get yer ass off the gubment teet?