[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

let's talk about phlegm

polksalet

Aight, I have been fever free for nearly two days now. For some reason I keep coughing up phlegm. It is still the same nasty color with the same odor. Now I know I have hacked up at least a couple cups of this thus far. Does my body keep producing it after the the antibiotics have killed the infection? Is the infection still present? Why does it come on strongest at night when I try to sleep? When does the phlegm stop its attack on my sleep?

Thanks

Colored phlegm is a sign of a sinus infection. The darker the snot, the worse off the infection. So, yellow = eh, no big deal... but you still have a sinus infection. Darker yellowish-greenish = um, you might want to have that looked at. And brown = :wacko:

The antibiotics (if you're on one that will kill the specific infection) should start working after 3-4 days, depending on the severity of the infection.

I believe it accumulates during the night based on your position (it's not able to drain out of your sinuses).

As a veteran of sinus infections (killing one off as we speak), I know this too well. :D

Good luck with your phlegm issues.

What kind of antibiotics were you taking? Zithromax (the stuff you take for 5 days), work for 10 days even though you've stopped using it.

Still, if you had a sinus or other infection, all that crap you're coughing up was stuck in there and now needs to come out. If you're fever free I'd guess that you're just passing the stuff that was making you sick. Mucinex is an EXCELLENT over the counter product for breaking up the crap that collects inside you during a cold or bronchitis type thing. I swear it helped me get over pneumonia way faster when I had it last year.

Still, if you had a sinus or other infection, all that crap you're coughing up was stuck in there and now needs to come out. If you're fever free I'd guess that you're just passing the stuff that was making you sick. Mucinex is an EXCELLENT over the counter product for breaking up the crap that collects inside you during a cold or bronchitis type thing. I swear it helped me get over pneumonia way faster when I had it last year.

I agree, I took Mucinex for the first time last week and I was impressed.

Aight, I have been fever free for nearly two days now. For some reason I keep coughing up phlegm. It is still the same nasty color with the same odor. Now I know I have hacked up at least a couple cups of this thus far. Does my body keep producing it after the the antibiotics have killed the infection? Is the infection still present? Why does it come on strongest at night when I try to sleep? When does the phlegm stop its attack on my sleep?

Thanks

:D you're gonna have to treat your wife to a nice clean fresh night of sex at some point this year..............still laughin about her wakin up gaggin...... she was dreamim about being choked but it was one of your clouds from an awesome meal :wacko:

Colored phlegm is a sign of a sinus infection. The darker the snot, the worse off the infection. So, yellow = eh, no big deal... but you still have a sinus infection. Darker yellowish-greenish = um, you might want to have that looked at. And brown = :D

The antibiotics (if you're on one that will kill the specific infection) should start working after 3-4 days, depending on the severity of the infection.

I believe it accumulates during the night based on your position (it's not able to drain out of your sinuses).

As a veteran of sinus infections (killing one off as we speak), I know this too well. :D

Good luck with your phlegm issues.

Darin, we are more alike once again :wacko: fiest the achille's surgery and now sinus infections

I get them alot

i treat them aggressively ( had a couple of surgeries as well for polyps , septum , etc over the years )

Prednisone ( steroid ) which severely shrinks the swelling

Antobiotic , Zithro should be fine , they used to give me ceclor and Cephalosporin Antibiotics that worked really well

Flonase ( nasal spray ) also helps with swelling and rhinitis

and over the counter sudafed just t o manage the pain

ofcourse most of these need DR prescription but i normally clear up very quickly

Edited by isleseeya

Darin, we are more alike once again :wacko: fiest the achille's surgery and now sinus infections

I get them alot

i treat them aggressively ( had a couple of surgeries as well for polyps , septum , etc over the years )

Antobiotic , Zithro should be fine , they used to give me ceclor and Cephalosporin Antibiotics that worked really well

ofcourse most of these need DR prescription but i normally clear up very quickly

:Whomper: I am jealous :Whomper:

Has anyone ever tried sinus irrigation? I never get allergies, but I've been dying with them for the last month or so. A buddy of mine recommended something called a Neddi Pot. Basically you mix this powder (mostly sea salt) with water and insert into one nostril and it runs out the other. It has completely cleared my sinuses and I haven't had a problem with them since using it.

Has anyone ever tried sinus irrigation? I never get allergies, but I've been dying with them for the last month or so. A buddy of mine recommended something called a Neddi Pot. Basically you mix this powder (mostly sea salt) with water and insert into one nostril and it runs out the other. It has completely cleared my sinuses and I haven't had a problem with them since using it.

http://www.sattvahealing.com/netti-pot.shtml

On sinuses, I just take a syringewith salt water and suck it up my nose. It unlocks everything and after the burning stops I feel a lot better.

You can eliminate the burning by using the following mixture. It's supposed to replicate the body's PH level.

1 cup water

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon Karo syrup

My nose never burns on this mixture.

You should start progressing as far as the phlegm goes. It should begin to lighten up in color, but the important thing is that you're bringing it up. Lots of fluids and start taking the mucinex. The quicker you get that old junk out of your lungs the better. Don't try to suppress your cough ( if you have one ).

I use this..it's NetiPot....

it works wonders...and you look like a jackass when using it....

perfect for me :wacko:

I wake up every day coughing chit up...but this is the difference between me functioning and,....not functioning...

I get them alot

should i change my name to whomper3? :D

you know what, i tried the prednisone with a nasal spray and i think it made me swell worse....

i'm currently fighting off my infection with an antibiotic and have been using a neti pot (as others have suggested here) ... the neti pot has worked pretty well, but my left sinus cavity is SO f'in stuffed with junk.... i can pour from left to right but when i try to pour the other way, nothing happens.... :D

Yay!!!! BLOOD!???????!!!! :moon:

Don't worry too much, you're just real torn up from the dried-up snot, blowing your nose, etc. I get this once in awhile.

Yay!!!! BLOOD!???????!!!! :D

Aw, buck up. My mucus is typically a mix of yellow, green, red and brown. A little blood just makes things interesting.

My sinuses are so jacked up, I have an infection more often than not. I don't worry much about it until my ears get bad too.

On the plus side, I can always win a spitting contest due to volumous think junk always at my disposal. That stuff really carries. :wacko:

Aw, buck up. My mucus is typically a mix of yellow, green, red and brown. A little blood just makes things interesting.

My sinuses are so jacked up, I have an infection more often than not. I don't worry much about it until my ears get bad too.

On the plus side, I can always win a spitting contest due to volumous think junk always at my disposal. That stuff really carries. :wacko:

Once again my sinuses sre fine. I am coughing the blood up from my lungs I believe. However the phlegm is starting to change color to green now.