[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yet another school shooting

Ursa Majoris

I just got an email from a friend who just graduated NIU's law school and still lives in DeKalb. She was not on campus when it happened, but she is pretty shaken up - understandably so. Like I said in my other post, stuff like this isn't supposed to happen down there.

She has friends who were in class a pretty good distance away from Cole Hall at the time of the shooting. She said they were in denial when they heard the news, but they are all now shocked and saddened.

There's no end to it when the press makes such a spectacle out of it. These gunmen want fame...and we give it to them. I know news should be reported, but maybe stuff like this shouldn't.

Agreed. I have said it before and I'll reiterate I think the media NEEDS to stop glorifying/sensationalizing these things. I do not think it is any coincidence that (as these tradegies get more and more coverage) there are more and more of these types of tragedies.

I am certainly no psycholgist, but it seems to me the people who are perpetrating these horrific acts would likely feel (among other things(ie anger, rage, etc)) that they lack worth and/or importance. Perhaps, in their twisted minds, they believe if something gets so much attention on a national level, it must be worth something...must be important. I think the media hype each one of these things receives is giving these troubled individuals the hope they can gain some recognition/importance from doing something like this and/or their empty life would then have some value or meaning. I could be way off, but it seems to me the trend is these people are increasingly feeling more as though they are going out in a "blaze of glory" rather than as a selfish coward.

I think the media on all levels needs to realize they may be inadvertantly dumping gas on the fire that is the number of sad/depressed/deranged people in our society. What needs to happen is for these sick people to have the idea (if they do something horrible like this) they will not gain any attention. They will just be gone not in infamy but in annonymity.

As I said after the last one of these, we need to somehow reinforce in peoples minds that they need to do something good to gain attention and recognition.

Isle,

Your focus is better than mine. I saw the atrocity and got angry, but you saw the families! Bless you for that. :wacko:

Last I heard is 4 dead plus the mofo, so 5 total. May God Bless each and every one of the survivors and their families.

Please let 5 be the max! Why.........dammit..................WHY?????

:D I guess this just strikes too close to home. Sorry!

I was near there when b-i-l and I drove to Rockford airport to pick up his brother. I'm mad too RnR! But I'm also sad for the students and families.

I just got an email from a friend who just graduated NIU's law school and still lives in DeKalb. She was not on campus when it happened, but she is pretty shaken up - understandably so. Like I said in my other post, stuff like this isn't supposed to happen down there.

She has friends who were in class a pretty good distance away from Cole Hall at the time of the shooting. She said they were in denial when they heard the news, but they are all now shocked and saddened.

NIU grad in 1996. I was a Political Science major there so I had most of my classes in DuSable(sp) Hall. I did have one stats class in Cole Hall. I can envision the door the guy came through. Pretty damn senseless if you ask me. I was worried some of my favorite professors might have been involved. While I am relieved they are not involved....pretty damn sad for the families whose loved ones were lost....including the family of the gunmen. As for the gunmen....I hope God deals with him.

One of the girls that died went to the same elementary school where my girls are now. Different high school, a town over. This has moved me at such a level...it's not only sad, I'm sick of the cycle.

Did everyone know that the NIU shootings was actually the 4th school shooting of the week around the country? Illinois, Louisiana, Tennessee, and California.

I'm sick and tired of the over exposure, where the national media swoops in, reports it like crazy, and then blows out of town, and then the rest of the country can bury their head in the sand just to wait for it to happen again.

I just don't know what can be done, but I have this feeling that more can be done that what is being done today. Just sickens me.

One of the girls that died went to the same elementary school where my girls are now. Different high school, a town over. This has moved me at such a level...it's not only sad, I'm sick of the cycle.

Did everyone know that the NIU shootings was actually the 4th school shooting of the week around the country? Illinois, Louisiana, Tennessee, and California.

I'm sick and tired of the over exposure, where the national media swoops in, reports it like crazy, and then blows out of town, and then the rest of the country can bury their head in the sand just to wait for it to happen again.

I just don't know what can be done, but I have this feeling that more can be done that what is being done today. Just sickens me.

I hear ya Gil.

I don't know if this is the answer....I am torn both ways. I feel the campus is no place for guns. However, I do support a conceal carry law for qualified citizens in everyday life....walking down the street...the mall....etc..etc..etc. I have heard some suggestion that if one of the students were packing heat also that this could have been averted with less death. To that I say maybe. What really can be done other than to allow students to conceal carry? Again, I don't know I want guns on a college campus, but given the events of Va Tech and NIU...and the others you have mentioned Gil....what can we do to protect our kids while they are learning short of armed guards at every entrance.

I don't know if this is the answer....I am torn both ways. I feel the campus is no place for guns. However, I do support a conceal carry law for qualified citizens in everyday life....walking down the street...the mall....etc..etc..etc. I have heard some suggestion that if one of the students were packing heat also that this could have been averted with less death. To that I say maybe. What really can be done other than to allow students to conceal carry? Again, I don't know I want guns on a college campus, but given the events of Va Tech and NIU...and the others you have mentioned Gil....what can we do to protect our kids while they are learning short of armed guards at every entrance.

Allowing CCW holders to carry on campuses is a good move. Thankfully, Utah allows this and I have taken full advantage. It is not realistic to think CCW holders could stop or even lessen these disasters in all cases, but it certainly couldn't hurt. These school shootings have made me and others hyper-aware of our postions in classrooms and many CCW holders have a plan in place for each classroom they are in.

If I missed it in an earlier post, I apologize - but the asassin in this case was mentally ill and recently off his medication. Tragic all the way around.

Allowing CCW holders to carry on campuses is a good move. Thankfully, Utah allows this and I have taken full advantage. It is not realistic to think CCW holders could stop or even lessen these disasters in all cases, but it certainly couldn't hurt. These school shootings have made me and others hyper-aware of our postions in classrooms and many CCW holders have a plan in place for each classroom they are in.

If I missed it in an earlier post, I apologize - but the asassin in this case was mentally ill and recently off his medication. Tragic all the way around.

I fully understand your logic too Jimmy. Obviously there should be stricter requirements for those who are allowed to conceal carry....at least more so than just gun ownership...like maybe some formal training and what not. I am leaning more towards allowing the students to arm themselves...although I don't like that it has to come to this.