[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pimp my lawn mower

The Captains Wench

I have a 54" cut Sears Craftsman, 27 horsepower. triple blade cut lawn tractor with automatic key start, cruise control, and 7 different height settings at the push of a button. Overkill for my 5 acres? There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to a lawnmower. It has started everytime, the blades are easy to change and I just tore it through a bunch of sticky, knarly honeysuckle bushes this past Monday. Oh, and the seat is softer than Whomper's hands.

Fuzzy picture of it right before I got my shed when I moved in.

I have a 54" cut Sears Craftsman, 27 horsepower. triple blade cut lawn tractor with automatic key start, cruise control, and 7 different height settings at the push of a button. Overkill for my 5 acres? There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to a lawnmower. It has started everytime, the blades are easy to change and I just tore it through a bunch of sticky, knarly honeysuckle bushes this past Monday. Oh, and the seat is softer than Whomper's hands.

Fuzzy picture of it right before I got my shed when I moved in.

Thanks.

So far in my research and opinion polls, I have one vote for Craftsman and one vote against. I guess my uncle had a bad experience. I also have one vote for Cub Cadet and one for John Deere. There is surprisingly little in the way of consumer opinions online.

I would've gone John Deere, but it was pricey as heck. I've heard some have bad issues with Craftsman, but I've always bought their Briggs & Stratton lawnmower engines and have had great luck with them....if maintained properly. I always change out the filters, oil once (sometimes twice) a year and the blades every couple of months.

If your Dad is like my Dad and maintains nothing :wacko:, then you may wanna spend the extra and go John Deere.

Edited by TimC

I would've gone John Deere, but it was pricey as heck. I've heard some have bad issues with Craftsman, but I've always bought their Briggs & Stratton lawnmower engines and have had great luck with them....if maintained properly. I always change out the filters, oil once (sometimes twice) a year and the blades every couple of months.

If your Dad is like my Dad and maintains nothing :D, then you may wanna spend the extra and go John Deere.

You know, I thought my Dad was the type to take good care of things but when he sold me his car, it had been over 10,000 miles since his last oil change. :wacko:

(he did give me a great deal on the car so I don't hold it against him)

We used to have a Craftsman, but constantly had problems with it. Sears has great at home service, but it was still a pain in the butt. I think the main problem is I'm on about 2 acres so I think we were over working the thing. In FL during the Summer and Fall months, you have to mow every week at least and with the heavy St. Augustine grass it just took its toll on the Craftsman motor. I think for a small yard like your pops, it would probably be ok.

We now have this bad boy and I can mow my entire yard in about 2+ hours. The problem here is that it's pricey to say the least.

I cannot recommend against the Craftsman rider lawn mowers enough. Parents bought one and it was nothing but trouble from day one. Sure it had a Briggs and Stratton engine which worked great, but every other damn thing went wrong with it. Must of had at least 6 warranty service calls and the thing finally just sat in a shed and they hired some neighborhood kid to mow the lawn with his rider.

On the flip side, I've only heard good things for John Deer from two friends who have one.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

Here you go.

thank you good sir.

I cannot recommend against the Craftsman rider lawn mowers enough. Parents bought one and it was nothing but trouble from day one. Sure it had a Briggs and Stratton engine which worked great, but every other damn thing went wrong with the it. Must of had at least 6 warranty service calls and the thing finally just sat in a shed and they hired some neighborhood kid to mow the lawn with his rider.

On the flip side, I've only heard good things for John Deer from two friends who have one.

Thanks, this is good stuff. John Deere is gaining points and I think you've convinced me on the Craftsman.

I cannot recommend against the Craftsman rider lawn mowers enough.

Wurd, actually, Craftsman makes nice hand tools, but they're gas powered equipment blows. I bought a snow blower from them, first one didn't work, exchanged it, second one gave me problems, returned it and got my money back.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Is cost a concern?

If your mom is on a real tight budget, it might be worth perusing Craigslist.

As far as making recommendations go, I have never owned one so I dunno. I do know that motors are generally considered from best to worst: Briggs and Stratton, Kohler, Kawasaki, Honda. Something like that. The different brands are all about the chassis they build around the motor and the controls and comforts they give. Craftsman uses Briggs and Stratton motors just like the Deeres they sell at Home Depot. Anyone that tries to tell you different hasn;t looked under the hood.

I looked at them once and was advised to look for a model with at least a kohler engine. I didn't buy one...so I can't comment. But, and this goes back to money, if money is a non-issue you can;t go wrong buying something with a Kawasaki engine...or if you can find a Honda.

Craftsman uses Briggs and Stratton motors just like the Deeres they sell at Home Depot. Anyone that tries to tell you different hasn;t looked under the hood.

Good point. From what I understand, don't buy the John Deeres from Home Depot/Lowe's. They are the "cheap" John Deeres.

Get a Simplicity. They're awesome.

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/products/lawn_tractors/regent/

14 inch turning radius, hydrstatic controls (one pedal for forward and reverse, no shifting), electronic PTO, cup holder :wacko: . Awesome unit.

That's what I use, I have about .5 acres.

Thanks Hugh,

The "expert" reviews I could find online suggest buying Simplicity. I'll put a +1 to Simplicity.

Is cost a concern?

If your mom is on a real tight budget, it might be worth perusing Craigslist.

As far as making recommendations go, I have never owned one so I dunno. I do know that motors are generally considered from best to worst: Briggs and Stratton, Kohler, Kawasaki, Honda. Something like that. The different brands are all about the chassis they build around the motor and the controls and comforts they give. Craftsman uses Briggs and Stratton motors just like the Deeres they sell at Home Depot. Anyone that tries to tell you different hasn;t looked under the hood.

I looked at them once and was advised to look for a model with at least a kohler engine. I didn't buy one...so I can't comment. But, and this goes back to money, if money is a non-issue you can;t go wrong buying something with a Kawasaki engine...or if you can find a Honda.

The biggest cost concern is how angry my Dad will be when he finds out how much my Mom spent. You know, the usual. I think the game plan is to buy something that is decent quality without all the bells and whistles. I'm trying to convice her to buy the zero turning radius but I don't think she wants to spend the extra money.

My suggestion would be to forego the Briggs & Stratton engines on the Craftsman's (although my experience is that Sears has a good warranty and service program)... and look for an affordable model with a Honda engine.

I hate you.