[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Battlestar Galactica season 4

Riffraff

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any thoughts on Week 2?

Although it had way more drama than action, I thought the episode was solid. They seem to be setting up some storylines with Kara Thrace leaving to look for earth and the beginning of a Cylon civil war, which I think will get pretty ugly.

I guess Lee is going into government or something. This bugs me. When you're fighting to survive as a race, how can they let a good pilot leave the military. Don't they have a stop-loss program? :wacko:

Although it had way more drama than action, I thought the episode was solid. They seem to be setting up some storylines with Kara Thrace leaving to look for earth and the beginning of a Cylon civil war, which I think will get pretty ugly.

I guess Lee is going into government or something. This bugs me. When you're fighting to survive as a race, how can they let a good pilot leave the military. Don't they have a stop-loss program? :wacko:

+1

so i just looked on BSG's IMDB listing, and it says 11 episodes are supposed to air this year, with another 9 next year. i guess they're going for "the sopranos" definition of "final season."

:wacko:

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that the writers' strike may have had something to do with that.

Weapons room "1701D" = Star Trek reference.

You have to be a real sci-fi :D to pick up the "1701D" connection to the Enterprise. Unfortunately I also caught that reference. :wacko:

This Week 3 episode was a mixed bag for me. The Kara Thrace search for earth thing seemed like more of the usual with her pouting about this destiny crap and butting heads with her husband, what's his name.

Cylon lady with the dark hair has a thing for the Chief and is not so nice after all. Good stuff with what's her name getting sucked out into space.

The Lee Adama politics thing just doesn't do much for me at all. Where the hell are they're going with this? This had me wishing for more stuff with Baltar's cult.

The Cylons are not getting along, and things are escalating there. I wonder if the centurions (sp?) are going to turn against the skin jobs.

I love the more liberal use of "frak" this season...it's frakin' awesome.

:wacko: i came here to post the same thing. this is the most i've heard them use it. it makes it all so absurd -- it's not like anyone has any doubt what they're "supposed" to be saying, and yet if they did, it would be a hugh deal.

This Week 3 episode was a mixed bag for me. The Kara Thrace search for earth thing seemed like more of the usual with her pouting about this destiny crap and butting heads with her husband, what's his name.

Cylon lady with the dark hair has a thing for the Chief and is not so nice after all. Good stuff with what's her name getting sucked out into space.

The Lee Adama politics thing just doesn't do much for me at all. Where the hell are they're going with this? This had me wishing for more stuff with Baltar's cult.

The Cylons are not getting along, and things are escalating there. I wonder if the centurions (sp?) are going to turn against the skin jobs.

i was just happy that a ton seemed to happen this episode. there was some cold-blooded sh*t going on, from the cylons ambushing each other to tori sending callie out the airlock. i was also surprised to see how many people were sent with starbuck -- who's left to defend the galactica? that angle didn't seem to go anywhere, but i did like that they're setting up some stuff with lee vs roslyn.

I'd assume they would have had the coordinates for the previous jumps before they took off. Guess not. Too early to find Earth, have to postpone it with a little drama.

Both humans and cylons need to be at odds with themselves in order to come together.

Only way to unite all 12 cylon models is to get them all in the same location.

Tori is ruthless and just understanding her sexual side. Chief is the temperamental one. Each cylon model has a different characteristic about them.

One main character down, 20 or so left to go. 17 episodes left?

Cally was originally meant to be killed off early in the show, during a rape. But her character was liked too much, so they developed her more into the storyline.

Easy, Adama is being set up to become President by the end of the show.

Roslyn has almost a dictatorship set-up right now. Controls the military and the government. No recourse against her and her word is god.

The skinjobs will eventually turn to humans for help. The toasters are the catalyst for the reaction.

Had to get Xena cylon unboxed somehow.

It has all happened before...

Warning - post contains religion stuff. Don't let it turn into that kind of debate.

The Roman Empire (Battlestar colonist) worshiped many gods, until it turned to Mithraism (paganism). Mainly a military and politician religion. Lore was passed down orally, hardly anything in writing. Plenty of mystic ceremonies. The religion had 7 ranks (first 7 cylons?).

The Battlestar colonies call their religion Mithris. Mentioned in this week's episode in a quorum meeting with President Roslyn.

During his old age, Constantine's final years, he changed the official religion of the Roman empire to Christianity (one god). Enacted further by Theodosius I. He changed it because he could be saved during the current lifetime. Will President Roslyn change it before she dies too? Could eventual President Apollo ban paganism like Theodosius did?

More stuff:

Mithraism lasted for 400-500 years before Christianity. Paul/Saul lived among Mithra followers while in Tarsus. He persecuted many Christians before he converted and led the subsequent conversion. Saul Tigh, the cylon, was converted after leading the rebellion and around long enough during the transition between religions.

Paul wrote many of the books of the New Testement. Many of Christianity/Jesus info was copied from Mithras (both called the son of god, both born on December 25th, both saviours for the human race, both part of a greater trinity, Mithras sacrificed a bull for mankind's salvation while Jesus sacrificed himself, eating of the flesh to symbolize faith, concept of heaven and hell, judgment day, and both religions had baptism). Haven't found much reference to this in the show's storyline.

Other Mithras/Christ similarities not inspired by Saul/Paul were Mithras had 12 heavenly zodiac disciples while Christ's were human, both had a last supper, both resurrected after 3 days of darkness in a tomb, both have their resurrection celebrated annually (Easter), and both use a cross as the religion symbol. Notice only "12 occupants" were allowed into Baltar's cult room at a time during this week's episode.

Wonder if Starbuck's circular symbol is supposed to be a star (Christ) or a sun (Mithras).

I'm not totally sure if the Battlestar writers are using Mithra or Jesus as the basis of the storyline.

Edited by Riffraff

• 3 weeks later...

that was a pretty good episode. now we have to wait two weeks for the next one. :brew:

i think it's too easy to make starbuck the missing cylon. what if the hub is not destroyed, roslin dies and is then resurrected? or perhaps gaius "jesus" baltar is killed and resurrected? :wacko: or the hub IS destroyed and gaius dies but is resurrected ANYWAY? :D:D

that was a pretty good episode. now we have to wait two weeks for the next one. :brew:

i think it's too easy to make starbuck the missing cylon. what if the hub is not destroyed, roslin dies and is then resurrected? or perhaps gaius "jesus" baltar is killed and resurrected? :wacko: or the hub IS destroyed and gaius dies but is resurrected ANYWAY? :D:D

Starbuck = Harbinger of Death (of the cylons)

Baltar = Harbinger of Life (leads to the proper path)

Gaetta = 12th cylon

Edited by Riffraff