[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

UNC vs. Duke

BigMikeinNY

Who wins tonight?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins tonight?

• UNC
    • Duke

One of the top 5 rivals in all of sports, some say maybe even in the top 2. I am not even going to try to predict a winner, but I am rooting for UNC because some of those Cameron Crazies get under my skin. The place gets full at about 8,000.......Come up to the Carrier Dome where we can put 30,000 in there a couple times a year :wacko:

BigMike

By Jay Bilas

ESPN

No. 1 North Carolina at No. 5 Duke, Saturday, 9 p.m. ET, ESPN

Outlook: North Carolina and Duke are the two most potent scoring teams in the ACC, with Carolina averaging 88 points and Duke averaging 84.8 points in conference competition. While many have been critical of North Carolina's defense, the Tar Heels are limiting opponents to 43 percent shooting (third-best in the ACC), while Duke is allowing opponents to shoot 46.8 percent (11th in the ACC). But Duke's defense is bolstered by its ability to force turnovers and its huge turnover margin. Duke forces almost 19 turnovers per game and boasts a +5.9 turnover margin. North Carolina is the superior rebounding team, with a league-leading +11.5 rebound margin. North Carolina and Duke defend differently, with Carolina forcing fewer turnovers but also giving up fewer offensive rebounds and scores.

Join Rece Davis, Jay Bilas, Hubert Davis and Digger Phelps in Durham, N.C., on Saturday as they break down the day in college basketball (ESPN, 11 a.m. & 8 p.m. ET).

This game will be about the 3-point line and the free-throw line. Duke has made 143 3-point field goals in 15 ACC games, including 13 against North Carolina in the Blue Devils' 89-78 win in the first game. The Tar Heels have given up 112 3-point field goals, the second-most in the ACC.

To beat Duke, North Carolina has to get up on Duke's perimeter threats and force them to be contested 2-point shooters. If Duke can score 36 or more points off made 3s, North Carolina will have a tough time winning in Cameron. Duke has shot a league-leading 400 free throws in ACC play, while North Carolina has made a league-leading 302 free throws in ACC play, with the Heels hitting a remarkable 78.4 percent of their free throws in 15 league games. The team that wins the free-throw battle will have a hammer-lock on the game.

Duke won the first meeting by hitting 10 more 3-point shots than Carolina, having five fewer turnovers and by hitting only three fewer free throws. Duke scored 55 of its 89 points off 3s and free throws. North Carolina missed 14 of its 17 3-point attempts, missed 11 of its 30 free-throw attempts, turned the ball over 20 times, and had Danny Green and Wayne Ellington go a combined 4-for-24 from the floor.

Key Matchup: Tyler Hansbrough and Kyle Singler. Hansbrough is the toughest and hardest working player in the country. He has been prolific against Duke, and you can almost bank him for a triple-double with double-figure points, rebounds and free-throw attempts. Singler is the best freshman in the ACC, and while he has not shot the ball well over the past few games, he understands how to play. Singler's ability to draw a bigger defender away from the basket is an important factor.

Key Stat: Turnovers and 3-point field goals. Even with Ty Lawson back in the lineup, he will not be at 100 percent. It is vital for North Carolina to take care of the ball and limit turnovers. If the Tar Heels allow Duke to turn them over and take it the other way for easy scores or opportunistic 3s, Duke will win. North Carolina will have to cover the 3-point line, and it cannot afford to help too much on drives and leave shooters open for 3-point looks.

Mitchell Layton/Getty Images

Wayne Ellington needs to shoot better against Duke than he did on Feb. 6.

X-Factors: Wayne Ellington and DeMarcus Nelson. Ellington shot only 3-for-14 from the floor against Duke in February, including 0-for-6 from 3. I would not expect Ellington to miss so many open shots, especially since he has now had so many games without Lawson to learn how to get his shots. Ellington has had a great season, averaging 16 points in ACC play, but he is not a prolific 3-point shooter. He has a marvelous pull-up game, and he is the type of player that can have a big game against Duke. Nelson has had an All-America caliber season. He is strong and can defend multiple positions with his strength, athleticism and long arms. He is a good rebounding guard, and he can get to the rim in transition. Saturday will be Nelson's senior goodbye, and one never knows how the emotions of that day will affect him.

What To Watch For: Watch how Singler slips a ball screen or rolls a smaller defender into the post. He has great footwork and understands exactly how to space the floor and take advantage of matchups. Also watch how North Carolina guards him, and whether the Tar Heel big guys can guard on the perimeter. North Carolina is stronger inside and on the glass, and Duke has the ability to distort and stretch the Carolina defense. If Duke is hitting perimeter shots, it will be a very interesting game. One thing you can count on is that North Carolina is going to run at every opportunity, and the Heels will punch that ball inside.

I'm just wondering if ESPN will talk about this today.

Yeah, the hype for this game has really gotten out of hand. I think ESPNNews is running past UNC-Dook games all day long today. I mean, its a big game , don;t get me wrong, but the two teams play twice a year, every year.

As far as who wins tonight, well, if you want to be the man, you've got to beat the man. Heels have to get it done tonight. I expect a much more confident team to show up tonight than played in the last game. Lawson is back (and I think is pretty healthy), Ellington and Green can't play any worse than they did in the last game, and QT is a much more confident player than he was a month a go. Psycho T will have a double-double.

Something interesting to look for tonight, obviously, part of Dook's advantage is its non-traditional lineup. They have no real presence in the lane, no player who scores receiving the ball with his back to the basket. The trade-off is that they have exceptional perimeter quickness. In the game against FSU, the Heels experimented with a lineup towards the end of the game with Lawson, Thomas, and Ginyard on the floor together, Since those three players make up all of our point guards, it's not something that you'd think Roy would want to do. If the Tar Heels are struggling towards the end of either half (or even if they are not) look to see if Roy throws that little twist out to counter the Dookies speed.

The Heels have got to maintian their rebounding advantage tonight. You can't let Dook shoot lots of 3's and keep pace in rebounds. There's got to be a tradeoff. UNC's defense has improved over the last month, and hopefully that will show tonight. It may be the single biggest factor in the game. Duke will not be able to press and trap the way they did in Chapel Hill with Lawson in the game (assuming that ankle is close to 100%) That's one of the biggest advantages about having Lawson back, you simply cannot press the heels without giving up easy baskets.

All in all, I think UNC is a much improved team from the first game. Dook, not so much. UNC has seen steady improvement on defense, in its half-court offense and in the play of QT and Alex Steveson. Duke came into Chapel Hill as one of the hottest teams in the country. Duke has since lost 2 ACC games and almost lost another to bottom-dweller NC State. They have gotten back Zoubek, but I really don;t think he helps them. They are a slower team, a less dangerous team on the floor. Again, Dook must shoot well, create turnovers, and keep pace with the Heels' rebounding to win.

I think the Dookies don't hit quite as many 3's and UNC executes more effectively on the offensive end. Heels by 7.

Guest Chappy
With 4 minutes to play, Tyler Hansbrough has not shot a free throw. That's absurd.

No kidding. His season low is 4 and he may in fact set a new low. What a great game!!!

Guest Chappy
I thought it was kinda boring.

No offense, but you were either watching the wrong game or don't follow how basketball is played including all the little aspects; solid defensive effort, ball movement, coaching adjustments, excitement/adrenalin within a game, etc.

Definitely lived up to the billing I thought but to each is own.

Guest Chappy
Nice win by UNC. I'm happy with Duke's play though. I was scared that they'd panic after being down 11 at half. They didn't panic. Instead they fought back & made UNC fight for the win. I really think this team can make a run in the tourney.

Duke did a nice job overcoming the first half deficit and like you said not panicking. There's no doubt that Duke is a talented team that plays solid D and can shoot the ball. However, they lack that true big man inside and Hansbrough is an absolute beast that wore them down along with a big game from Denny Green who had 6 blocked shots and 18 points. Green played lights out.

Edited by Chappy

No offense, but you were either watching the wrong game or don't follow how basketball is played including all the little aspects; solid defensive effort, ball movement, coaching adjustments, excitement/adrenalin within a game, etc.

Definitely lived up to the billing I thought but to each is own.

I was watching the game. I follow how basketball is played. And other than Green's dunk when he teabagged Paulus, I thought it was boring.

No offense.

Anyone see what the new Speedo guy did that made the game commentators apologies for what viewers may have seen?

I believe he shook as a$$ in front of the camera like he was working the pole. He also gave the 'ole Triple H "SUCK IT" gesture about 4 dozen times.

I was laughing :wacko:

BM