[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

nascar noob

tonorator

ok, so if a dude has a big multi car lead and then there's a crash with the caution coming out, they all line back up right in a row behind the pace car and the front runner loses his big lead. is that right? so if it's down the the final laps and i've got a nice lead, heading home for the win, and some jackhole crashes, then my lead is wiped and i have to start again with someone right on my tail? how does this make sense?

ok, so if a dude has a big multi car lead and then there's a crash with the caution coming out, they all line back up right in a row behind the pace car and the front runner loses his big lead. is that right? so if it's down the the final laps and i've got a nice lead, heading home for the win, and some jackhole crashes, then my lead is wiped and i have to start again with someone right on my tail? how does this make sense?

yes, the field is re-grouped, set in order, the track is cleaned, and the green waves again.

And if the wreck is spectacular enough to have you circle the track under caution those final laps you win too!

they've started to try to avoid this over the past few seasons. generally, they are now extending the race to at least get 1 lap of green flag racing in rather than ending under caution. if another caution happens on that lap, then it's over.

I'm not saying it makes sense, but I believe that's how it works.

True -- just don't overthink it. Nascar isn't about making sense or earned victories. It's about selling alcohol (used to be alcohol and cigarettes). In that context, losing all competive advantage and having a farce of a finish is irrelevant.

Edited by Donutrun Jellies

Better solution?

don't know. one thing i was trying to work out was how each car could have it's time kept separately, but that breaks down pretty quickly and would make things chaotic to follow. i believe if you do lap someone, this lead is maintained, but if you are say, a half track ahead, that lead would be eliminated ... makes no sense.

don't know. one thing i was trying to work out was how each car could have it's time kept separately, but that breaks down pretty quickly and would make things chaotic to follow. i believe if you do lap someone, this lead is maintained, but if you are say, a half track ahead, that lead would be eliminated ... makes no sense.

Then you'll love this part. :wacko:

If there is a caution/yellow flag....out of all the cars that are a lap down. The one that is "in the lead" of those cars one lap down, gets that lap back and restarts at the end of the line of all the cars on the lead lap and is no longer one lap down... :D

Better solution?

I took teh tour of the Indy Motor Speedway a coule of years back, quite facinating. At this track, they have transponders burried in the track. For IRL reaces, when a yellow comes out, a snapshot of the field is taken and the distance between the cars is calculated. There are displays around the track that supposedly keeps the cars separated by the same distance as thery were when the yellow happened.

Then of course there's the F1 way of doing things. They just wave a yellow flag in the corner where the wreck happened but everywhere else it's racing as usual.

Then you'll love this part. :wacko:

If there is a caution/yellow flag....out of all the cars that are a lap down. The one that is "in the lead" of those cars one lap down, gets that lap back and restarts at the end of the line of all the cars on the lead lap and is no longer one lap down... :D

that is nuts. you know, you could actually win the race from a time standpoint, but lose overall. in the race over the weekend, one dude was leading for like 150 some laps of the race, but continually kept getting his leads erased by caution flags. then, he had a problem that was fixable, but it knocked him way back. overall, the guy was probably still ahead in time, but all that time was taken from him.

so i guess it changes the entire strategy of the race. in some sense, since cautions are inevitable, you can still jockey for position and then actually hope for an incident to put you back in a position to make a move.

that is nuts. you know, you could actually win the race from a time standpoint, but lose overall. in the race over the weekend, one dude was leading for like 150 some laps of the race, but continually kept getting his leads erased by caution flags. then, he had a problem that was fixable, but it knocked him way back. overall, the guy was probably still ahead in time, but all that time was taken from him.

so i guess it changes the entire strategy of the race. in some sense, since cautions are inevitable, you can still jockey for position and then actually hope for an incident to put you back in a position to make a move.

Nascar added this to stop people from racing back to the caution to try and get a lap back.It happened after Dale Jarrett wrecked,and cars were flying past him without slowing down to the line.When the yellow flag comes out,you're supposed to stop racing and the field is frozen...unless you're Mark Martin leading the Daytona 500 on the final lap.

Then of course there's the F1 way of doing things. They just wave a yellow flag in the corner where the wreck happened but everywhere else it's racing as usual.

It works for F1 drivers, but you're dealing with a different cat. Nascar drivers are toooo soft for this kind of racing. They wouldn't dare.