[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Maple Tree Down

frenzal rhomb

Due to some prettynasty winds in PA and about six inches of rain this week, about 2/3 of my maple tree in the back yard split off and crashed down last nigh, fortunately not in the direction of the house. I dont use wood heat, anyone know if I should offer the wood to someone who will remove it or if I'm stuck paying a tree service to haul it and resell for their own gain??

guess it depends on the size........i've heard of woodworkers that would love to have the Maple and drop it for the wood and i just met a dude that is into smokin BarBQue for a hobby but is now doing it for other peoples parties and he drops trees (mostly fruit) to stoke the smoker

thaks - I was just wondering if its a reasonable exchange to say if you want the tree to go ahead and take it even up. At this point, there wouldnt even be any climbing left todo as there is only one large tall limb left which can be roped and cut from ground level

thaks - I was just wondering if its a reasonable exchange to say if you want the tree to go ahead and take it even up. At this point, there wouldnt even be any climbing left todo as there is only one large tall limb left which can be roped and cut from ground level

Sure it is if someone wants it. Call around. People even sell such trees for removal if they are in demand for woodworkers or firewood.

Same thing happened to me last year(only one tree though) and I cut up and burned the logs.

Guest Chappy
If it wasnt me - that would be funny

Totally true, therefore my apologies. I don't want to make a joke out of your situation or insult you while you're having this problem. It was just the first thing I thought after reading the title of the thread. I hope you get everything worked out as inexpensively as possible.

Totally true, therefore my apologies. I don't want to make a joke out of your situation or insult you while you're having this problem. It was just the first thing I thought after reading the title of the thread. I hope you get everything worked out as inexpensively as possible.

Nah its cool - I have a sense of humor. At least it didnt hit the house, land on the fence, kill someone etc. Thanks though.

Guest Chappy
Nah its cool - I have a sense of humor. At least it didnt hit the house, land on the fence, kill someone etc. Thanks though.

NP, glad to hear that. I also posted what I did because of the bolded part above. Hoped it would bring a little levity to the situation.

We had wicked winds here in N FL yesterday. I came home from work only to find that the power was out. Hugh area without power. Neighbors told me the power went out around 10:30AM. I didn't get power again until 3 or 4 in the morning. Man, it's boring as hell with no power. I need to invest in that generator. I think about it every year and let it slide. I hope you get someone to do the tree for you. At least yours is a maple. Mine were all pines and the bugs got to them last summer. Ended up costing me a fortune to have 5 tall slash pines taken down. Maple is good wood so you shouldn't have a problem, although if the tree companies are busy due to the storms you may. Good luck!

Due to some prettynasty winds in PA and about six inches of rain this week, about 2/3 of my maple tree in the back yard split off and crashed down last nigh, fortunately not in the direction of the house. I dont use wood heat, anyone know if I should offer the wood to someone who will remove it or if I'm stuck paying a tree service to haul it and resell for their own gain??

Sorry I don't have anything substantial to say other than a good chunk (limb) of one of our trees got zapped by high winds a few weeks ago, and we've been using it as firewood. Gives me a chance to use my chainsaw. :wacko:

Edited by darin3

Spoke to my neighbor two doors down - he came up with a chain saw - dropped the rest of the tree. Cut it up, I stacked it. He's coming by for the pieces he wants - I have a crap load of limbs to cut up and burn. No cost to me - he gets several cords of nice

maple wood and he wouldnt take a dime. Guess I gotta get him a gift cert to take his wife out - saved me about 400 bucks.

Life in rural America (yes Northampton) is good today. Good neighbors are awesome. Gotta run with the Kharma and do something good for someone soon.

Guest Chappy
Spoke to my neighbor two doors down - he came up with a chain saw - dropped the rest of the tree. Cut it up, I stacked it. He's coming by for the pieces he wants - I have a crap load of limbs to cut up and burn. No cost to me - he gets several cords of nice

maple wood and he wouldnt take a dime. Guess I gotta get him a gift cert to take his wife out - saved me about 400 bucks.

Life in rural America (yes Northampton) is good today. Good neighbors are awesome. Gotta run with the Kharma and do something good for someone soon.

That's great stuff. I'm glad to hear that all has worked out. The gift card would also be a nice little touch on your part and will solidify a nice relationship/bond between you guys.