[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Potty Training

Atlanta Cracker

My boy just turned 3. I apprecieate all the advice. Our main training method right now is the runnin round the house nekkid thing. He will not go on the floor but when he is ready he asks for a diaper. I then take him to the toilet and let him give it a shot. If he actually does go I get real excited and try to reward him with something. He's not there yet but he defenitly gets the concept.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My kid said something like... "Omma Daddy guzza guzza pee" to me yesterday.

"Did you pee?"

"no"

"Do you need a diaper"

"no"

"Do you want to go to the potty?"

"yes"

Excitement! I took him up to the potty, and he sat down for 5 minutes then got up and wanted a sticker... but no pee in the bowl. Then he peed in his diaper.

Slowly but surely. We're figuring it out.

So I compiled many suggestions here and tonight we implemented the following:

- Created a potty board to place stickers on each time he tries.

- Placed the 1st sticker on the board as reward for trying last night.

- 10 stickers = new matchbox car (hanging on the wall above it).

- New small doodle game only for use while sitting on the potty.

After about an hour of unveiling, explaining, and creating the hype the moment of truth came. "Sam, are you ready to sit on the potty and play with your new game and get a sticker?" "No daddy, I want to pway chutes and waddurs." :wacko:

So I compiled many suggestions here and tonight we implemented the following:

- Created a potty board to place stickers on each time he tries.

- Placed the 1st sticker on the board as reward for trying last night.

- 10 stickers = new matchbox car (hanging on the wall above it).

- New small doodle game only for use while sitting on the potty.

After about an hour of unveiling, explaining, and creating the hype the moment of truth came. "Sam, are you ready to sit on the potty and play with your new game and get a sticker?" "No daddy, I want to pway chutes and waddurs." :wacko:

Just pay him a dollar!

Well, we finally had a breakthrough in the attempt department before his bath. Even after 5 mins on the potty he didn't want to get up. After his bath while getting ready for bed he sat on the potty again and, after I cleaned him up from the dirty diaper this morning :wacko: he sat on the potty again.

At the very least he's not scared of it now and thinks it's fun. Although, he has said on every occasion "I don't want anything to come out." :D

he sat on the potty again.

At the very least he's not scared of it now

that's good--to make sure his fears stay away you should remind him again that it only very rarely happens that a child tries to use the bathroom and then accidentally ends up getting flushed down the toilet

I just received a phone call from home. We've had our first pee-pee in the potty success ! :wacko:

:brew::D:D

He said something to you that you mentioned in an earlier post. He doesn't want anything "to come out". This is actually a common fear in children. They are scared that for whatever reason, they are losing a part of them when they go. In the diaper, urges take over and there is no instant visual verification that something came out of their body. On or at the toilet, there is and it can be quite intimidating.

I really want to stress the "Shoot The Cheerio" strategy as well. It worked wonders with my son and he thought that was the greatest. You are putting a "weapon" in his control and command. Show him once and he will want t play all the time.

Now that you are crossing this bridge, you should look forward to the first time you guys actually pee together. As a little guy, you will have to lift him to most urinals in public.

It was Sea World, San Diego for us. He asked to go pee and I took him in the Men's room. This restroom had the urinals that go all the way to the floor. His eyes opened as big as I'd ever seen them. He looked at me and "ordered me" to the one next to the one he chose,, dropped trow and wated for me to "prepare myself" as well. He was SOOOOO proud standing there with his dad and all the other dudes taking a wiz on his own. It is one of those Father/Son moments I will never forget. His look of accomplishment was the best. He strutted the rest of the day! :D

A word of caution. I don't know what it is about little boys, but they all seem to be compelled to drop their pants to the floor and pull their shirts up to their armpits when they pee for quite a while after getting control over the body part of it. It look s funny as hell, but don't laugh or challege them on it as it can make them self-concious to go in public.

It was Sea World, San Diego for us. He asked to go pee and I took him in the Men's room. This restroom had the urinals that go all the way to the floor. His eyes opened as big as I'd ever seen them. He looked at me and "ordered me" to the one next to the one he chose,, dropped trow and wated for me to "prepare myself" as well. He was SOOOOO proud standing there with his dad and all the other dudes taking a wiz on his own. It is one of those Father/Son moments I will never forget. His look of accomplishment was the best. He strutted the rest of the day! :wacko:

a guy i worked with years ago said he was at the airport with his family about to board the plane to europe. their son, who i think was around 4 at the time, said he had to go potty. so the dad took him, and it was one of those urinals that went to the floor. the son started to do his business, so the dad stood behind him, just kind of looking around, not concentrating on what his son was doing. when he looked down, he saw the kid had taken a dump in the urinal. the dad was like, Khloe, Kim and Kourtney Kardashian, and grabbed the kid and headed to the stall. the bathroom had been empty, but just then someone came in and saw the dump-filled urinal and was like, "omg, what happened here?!" the guy hid out with his son until the coast was clear.

• 1 month later...

My son and I took my mom to lunch today. We went to her house after lunch to try and fix her computer issues (she formatted her hard drive, but that's another story). He took a dump in his diaper, and I didn't bring another one. I took the crap off him and told him daddy didn't bring another one.

We had to go to my aunt's and feed her cats. He tried going on the potty, but no luck. Then we took my mom back and tried to go on the potty, no luck. We drove home and he said he wanted to sit on the white seat at home. We got all the way home, got to the toilet, and he said, "daddy I peed on my leg." :D I told him it was ok and we cleaned it up.

We went upstairs to get changed. He took off his pants and put them in the laundry. I gave him new pants and a diaper (he recently began putting on his own diaper :wacko: ). He then announced to me, "Daddy, I'm all done diapers." I gave him a hugh hug and kiss. I then asked him if he wanted me to go get him some underwear and he said he didn't want diapers or underwear. :D My son is now rolling commando style. I told him he had to wear underwear at school. He told me he was ok with that and he would take them off at home. He said he's going to use the potty in a little bit. :fingerscrossed:

My son and I took my mom to lunch today. We went to her house after lunch to try and fix her computer issues (she formatted her hard drive, but that's another story). He took a dump in his diaper, and I didn't bring another one. I took the crap off him and told him daddy didn't bring another one.

We had to go to my aunt's and feed her cats. He tried going on the potty, but no luck. Then we took my mom back and tried to go on the potty, no luck. We drove home and he said he wanted to sit on the white seat at home. We got all the way home, got to the toilet, and he said, "daddy I peed on my leg." :brew: I told him it was ok and we cleaned it up.

We went upstairs to get changed. He took off his pants and put them in the laundry. I gave him new pants and a diaper (he recently began putting on his own diaper :wacko: ). He then announced to me, "Daddy, I'm all done diapers." I gave him a hugh hug and kiss. I then asked him if he wanted me to go get him some underwear and he said he didn't want diapers or underwear. :D My son is now rolling commando style. I told him he had to wear underwear at school. He told me he was ok with that and he would take them off at home. He said he's going to use the potty in a little bit. :fingerscrossed:

Because I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,

freeee Ballin"!

:D