[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

lets talk about inground swimming pools

isleseeya

So we are leaning towards putting an inground pool in my backyard ( currently have a small above ground ) ...my backyard is not so big but after having 5 pool companies come to meet with us looks like we may be able to fit a sapphire shaped 16 by 36 pool

So here comes the list of questions and advice :

1. Filter - company we are leaning to use for the job installs and prefers hayward sand filters ..I like de filters better but not enough to make a big deal

However if any expereinced huddler can advise if its much better to go with de instead of sand let me hear you

2. Automatic chlorinator vs salt generator( I know I misuing the word but its the system that produces chlorine for the pool itself without needing chlorine tablets ) -

What do you recommend and why

3. Heater - go with the one that runs on gas and you have to tun the lines or the one that cost more that does not require gas lines ( forgot the exact name )

4. Slide - we are leaning towards slide instead of diving board ...how much for a good slide and please feel free to recommend actual slides by make and model

I live in south central nj and also trying to figure out if the prices I am getting sound fair

Looking at approx 24000-26000 ( which will probably finance over 5 - 10 years as I do not have that kind of money to spend one shot for a pool ) for everything including work , digging , permits , regular heater and chlorinator, everything basically ( no slide however )

Does that price sound fair ?

Look forward to info and replies and tia

As a pool owner here, I'd recommend that you spend your money on a nice health club membership, or country club membership in lieu of a pool. If you get a pool, you are looking at dropping between $2,500 and $3,000 a year for extra electrical cost, upkeep and maintenance. If you are dead set on getting a pool, then at least don't bother with a heater. You will heat it once and see the gas bill, and never heat it again.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

I have a white trash 15' pool from Sam's for $300 dolla. I spend about 75 per year on chemicals, maybe 100 for power, and an hour a week during summer for cleaning at most.

Thanks perch but I was hoping for more positive feedback :wacko:

And polk what u describe I basically have now ...wife and kids and I guess I as well want to upgrade ...but the pool we have now has been good to us and lots of fun last 5 years

i built pools for 3 years... dont do it... not good... loose money... hard to sell house... a lot of upkeep... kill bunnies and baby birds along with cat( ok) mice( ok)kids, dogs, frogs, turtles... i guess if you want to be a killer and spend hours fixing or paying someone to fix i would do it

Yukon , say it aint so ..... A nice inground pool , a little landscaping , its got to be all good ...

I know its not cheap but with 4 kids young enough to enjoy it I think it could still be worth it

dude im tellen yah that for what it will cost you... it is not worth it... get a bigger above ground if you want a pool... cheaper to put in and take out....

depends on if you can afford all of that and how much back yard you'll have left and if you'll be ok with that. My mom's in ground is beautiful and fits her in backyard perfect with much room to spare. There's not much better then hitting that sucker on a hot July day.

Guest Chappy

Here's the thing Isleseeya, inground pools are absolutely wonderful for the look and appeal to spend some quality time in your backyard. It'll make you feel like you're at a hotel. I have an 18 by 36 inground that was already in place when I bought my house. Everybody wants to have all the summer parties at my house cause the pool is awesome and really dresses up any party even if it's just a regular barbeque. However, (note you won't have many of these problems being that it would be new but I'm just telling you about them) I had to change both of my inground lines as they collapsed in the ground and weren't able to suction water or pump it back out. My filter and pump have already been replaced along with having to get a new liner and cover. You'll most likely want to get a pool vaccuum and they run about $800-$1,000. Then of course you have the electric bill, and cost of all the chemicals that are needed for proper upkeep.

So in the end, if you really like the idea of an inground pool (no doubt they are much more beautiful regardless of making the value of the house dip) and are prepared for the cost of getting one put in and paying a higher electric bill and a pretty penny for chemicals then inground is the way to go. However, if you're not all about the look and just about cooling off in the summer while saving some coin on the installation, electric bill, chemicals, pretty much everything involved, then above ground is the way to go.

Being that I have the inground since I moved in, I'm happy I have it and prefer it over an above ground while not minding the extra cost. However, if I didn't have a pool and was looking to get one I'd probably go with an above ground being that it's less expensive to run and easier to manage, especially if I had to fix or replace something. (Boy do I love my inground though!!)

By the way both d.e. and Hayward filters are top notch and I prefer sand filters over the earth ones. Skip the heater and if you go inground get the slide and I prefer to use chlorine granules over the tablets (liquid chlorine is terrible) and have never used and automatic chlorinater so I couldn't help you there.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Chappy

I'd definately go with a DE filter, not a sand or cartridge. Do a very good job.

I wouldn't do a slide as they never seem to work very long, the water line often cracks and you end up having to take a bucket of water up to the top to wet it down. Diving board would be better, but neither is a good option as well. Salt water pools seem to be the big thing nowadays as they require fewer chemicals and are easier on the skin. If you have natural gas lines to the house, I'd definately put in a gas heater.

In Jersey, I would probably gree with Perch and Yuk, spend your money elswhere. The short swimming season you have is not worth it. I have 4 kids and even though they enjoy the pool, I'd much rather have a back yard with grass and a nice membership to a club.

depends on if you can afford all of that and how much back yard you'll have left and if you'll be ok with that. My mom's in ground is beautiful and fits her in backyard perfect with much room to spare. There's not much better then hitting that sucker on a hot July day.

the best pool and boat are someone elses...

Great day when I took my pool out and sold it...

Nothing positive to add, move along. Sorry.

We have above ground here, mainly because our pool season is SO short that putting inground in seems wasteful. Oh, and expensive.

I have DE and love it. Once you know how to do it, it's not hard at all and does keep the water so sparkly clean. Hint: if you go with sand, you can put a little DE into it to boost the filtering capacity. The amounts and how tos can be found at Pool Forum Bulletin Boards the best boards on the net for info on maintaining your pool. I use their bleach, borax and baking soda method with fantastic success. I spend little on chemicals and don't have to go to a pool store to get them. There are tons of pool folks dropping knowledge there. I highly recommend it to anyone.

Caveat: the guy who owns the site and the boards seems to have...disappeared? The board is still running but nobody's heard from him in a long, long time, so far as I know. Somebody's paying the bill for the board but :wacko: There are a couple of offshoot boards run by former regulars there, so if this one craps out I can dig up links to those.

Are you looking at a concrete custom or a pre-fab fiberglass?

My best recommendation is scour your pool seller like a hawk and contact the BBB and every other authority before hiring. The pool industry is ripe with frauds and people building pools with other people's money because they got behind on cash (robbing Peter to pay Paul). Make sure you are not left with a hole in the ground.

so far alot to look at and think about ...guess have to sit with mrs and go over this a bit more before taking the leap

by the way Chappy , if i do get a pool yoiur avatar is invited anytime :wacko:

You do know that is a pic of Puddy, do you not??

I would like to add something myself. Check with the B.B.B on the companies you are considering. The pool business are a bunch of money sharks and will take your money and run. Some will dig a hole and run. Do as much research with the companies as possible.

Hire a pool cleaner is about $250 a month.

Everytime your pool breaks down is gonna cost you between $400-$4000 (New Heater).

Pools run off 240 volt like adding 3-4 more dryers.

dear huddle brethren , thanks for your advice and info

wife and i spoke however and we do want to proceed with pool

on bright side if any of you are ever in NJ in the summer you have an open invite to come over and use the pool :wacko:

with 4 children and a chance to really do up the backyard we stilll feel pool is way to go

but thanks anyway :D

Guest Chappy
dear huddle brethren , thanks for your advice and info

wife and i spoke however and we do want to proceed with pool

on bright side if any of you are ever in NJ in the summer you have an open invite to come over and use the pool :wacko:

with 4 children and a chance to really do up the backyard we stilll feel pool is way to go

but thanks anyway :D

No doubt it costs alot of money but if you spend alot of time in your yard with the family (I know I do) you'll really get to enjoy the pool and it'll be well worth it.

Edited by Chappy

I have always heard (at least around here in Northern Indiana) that a pool was a negative investment in the value of your house. However if that is what you and your family wants, then obviously it's worth it to you and there's nothing wrong with that. Two other things that you may or may not have thought of is that most municipalities require a fence for safety reasons around your property. If you don't already have one suitable, there is an additional expense. And don't forget to talk with your insurance agent to see if you need additional/different coverage going from an above ground to an in-ground pool.

When we bought our current house I didn't want it at first because it had a pool. Now, 3 summers later, I couldn't imagine living without it. The maintence is not that bad..not anymore then the maintence on my other "toys" (snowmobiles, boat ect..) . Defenitly get a heater. You will only need to heat in the spring and fall but you will want your pool open then. Also, we did not get a slide because of the fact that we have kids and they tend to use the slide more as a high dive then a slide.

There is obviously some expense with a pool but we also spend a lot more time at home in the summer at our pool.. which saves us money. My kids swim everyday in the summer.