[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Splash... splash.... donk... splash... splash

darin3

That would be the sound of me shooting hoops for the first time since I ruptured my Achilles tendon back nearly 3 1/2 years ago. I hadn't stepped foot on a court since that fateful evening (hey, the shot that I took when I injured myself hit nothing but net).

I had endured plenty of sprained ankles, jammed fingers, sore knees... you name it... as a result of my avid basketball play. At many points in my life (during and just after HS... late in my college years...) I was a 4-5 time per week basketball player.

I was pretty surprised when the mental aspect of this injury really took over. I have probably been physically able to get out on the court for at least a year now. But in the back of my mind (or perhaps even in the front), I was rather nervous about sustaining a similar (or same) injury.

So anyways, today is a somewhat proud day for me. I don't look like it now (for those of you that have met me, y'all can confirm this :wacko:) but I was once a pretty well-conditioned athlete with some college hoops aspirations that simply didn't pan out. Today, it was a hugh weight off my shoulders... or more so off my mind... when those 3-pointers started splashing down.

Still not in the condition to play pick-up, but I figure that now my mental state is on its way back, I can start hitting the elliptical/treadmill with a little more fervor so I can get back on the court to resume the game I love so much and have been playing at a somewhat high level for nearly 30 years.

It seems a little piece of me was reborn today. :D Just had to share. Thanks.

Guest Chappy

Congrats on getting somewhat back in the saddle today shooting hoops. After the physical part of rehabbing an injury is over, the mental part is a huge hurdle to get over as well. Between fearing re-injury, to just not having the fire in your heart to play because of such a long lay-off it can be a daunting task to get back into the swing of things. When March Madness rolls around, I really get thinking about playing some basketball as well.

Good job Darin. I am very out of shape. I just raked me whole yard and did a spring cleaning in the front and back of the house. I need vicodin asap

Edited by whomper

hey i put one "donk" in there... twas an indoor court so it had nice rims with no clanging :wacko:

well it's good you are back on the court. I played twice this winter after a year or two off (non injury) and I could barely hold wind after one time up and down the court but it was still a blast.

That would be the sound of me shooting hoops for the first time since I ruptured my Achilles tendon back nearly 3 1/2 years ago. I hadn't stepped foot on a court since that fateful evening (hey, the shot that I took when I injured myself hit nothing but net).

I had endured plenty of sprained ankles, jammed fingers, sore knees... you name it... as a result of my avid basketball play. At many points in my life (during and just after HS... late in my college years...) I was a 4-5 time per week basketball player.

I was pretty surprised when the mental aspect of this injury really took over. I have probably been physically able to get out on the court for at least a year now. But in the back of my mind (or perhaps even in the front), I was rather nervous about sustaining a similar (or same) injury.

So anyways, today is a somewhat proud day for me. I don't look like it now (for those of you that have met me, y'all can confirm this :D) but I was once a pretty well-conditioned athlete with some college hoops aspirations that simply didn't pan out. Today, it was a hugh weight off my shoulders... or more so off my mind... when those 3-pointers started splashing down.

Still not in the condition to play pick-up, but I figure that now my mental state is on its way back, I can start hitting the elliptical/treadmill with a little more fervor so I can get back on the court to resume the game I love so much and have been playing at a somewhat high level for nearly 30 years.

It seems a little piece of me was reborn today. :D Just had to share. Thanks.

awesome darin :wacko:

as a fellow achilles rupturer , i am glad to see you did this as the mental part of injury is always very tough

but when its my time i will go out and play again once i am recovered

its really good that you go back to the court ...keep it going

Good job Darin. I am very out of shape. I just raked me whole yard and did a spring cleaning in the front and back of the house. I need vicodin asap

Aaarrrrrrr matey! Did ye make them scurvy dogs walk the plank? Yo ho ho!