[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Advice needed for the purchase of a new laptop...

Guest Chappy

Guest Chappy

I am not the most computer savvy guy you'd ever meet and therefore, am reaching out to those more knowledgeable on the topic (which just might be everyone here). I'm looking to purchase a new laptop (best bang for it's buck) in the range of $500-$700 (maybe $800 but that's pushing it). I wouldn't be using it for anything but word/excel and access to the internet. Maybe I'd put a few games on it but I have another household PC that I'd use for anything more than that.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be extremely helpful. TIA

Guest Chappy
H8tank gives good advice in this area.

Thanks for the input. Hopefully he stops by then and drops some knowledge on me. I sure could use it.

I always advise people to buy as high up the food chain as thier budget can afford. No mtter what you buy it is obsolete by the time it gets to your house. So to get the longest serviceable life out of the computer, buy as good as you can.

I followed H8's advice on a Vostro 1500.... I maxed mine out for ~$1000 2 months ago. I have no regrets, but to get the Vostro vs the Inspiron, you need to have a business. This can be sidestepped by just giving them a made up Company name and when they ask for your tax number tell them your an author, consultant, and carry no inventory nor are you in sales/resale. The Vostro's big advantage is they have no "Bloatware/Demo" crap s/w, but they only come in Black no colors. :wacko: Plus you can still get XP S2 on it. Best bang for the buck I found.

I followed H8's advice on a Vostro 1500.... I maxed mine out for ~$1000 2 months ago. I have no regrets, but to get the Vostro vs the Inspiron, you need to have a business. This can be sidestepped by just giving them a made up Company name and when they ask for your tax number tell them your an author, consultant, and carry no inventory nor are you in sales/resale. The Vostro's big advantage is they have no "Bloatware/Demo" crap s/w, but they only come in Black no colors. :wacko: Plus you can still get XP S2 on it. Best bang for the buck I found.

The 17" Vistro dual with XP is about $750. Within his price range. He can use his SS# as empoyer tax ID.

Open office free. Microsoft Office is an extra $150.

I have a copy of Office I never use anymore I could send him for free though. PM if interested.

Edited by Randall

I bought the Vostro 1500 a few months back, but I don't remember having to fake a business or anything. :wacko:

I actually didn't fake a business, as I AM an author and a consultant. I still get some royalties , but don't do the consulting anymore. Actually it was the first question they asked me, but they didn't require my SS# after I told them what my business entailed.

I always advise people to buy as high up the food chain as thier budget can afford. No mtter what you buy it is obsolete by the time it gets to your house.

Wow, that's bad advice.

Something is never obsolete until it ceases to do something you need it too.

Stick to mullets and hair bands wiener boy.

I actually didn't fake a business, as I AM an author and a consultant. I still get some royalties , but don't do the consulting anymore. Actually it was the first question they asked me, but they didn't require my SS# after I told them what my business entailed.

Gotcha. I just built mine online and didn't need to give any details like that.

Guest Chappy
Whatever you buy. add extra 100.00 for Office 2007.

Word/Excel will not be included in most purchases.

The 17" Vistro dual with XP is about $750. Within his price range. He can use his SS# as empoyer tax ID.

Open office free. Microsoft Office is an extra $150.

I have a copy of Office I never use anymore I could send him for free though. PM if interested.

Thanks for the info and offer. If I need the copy of Office, I will no doubt send you my info. However, I have a good friend who's an IT guy and has copies of MO that he would install for me. The reason why I've asked you guys for advice and not just go with what my friend says, is he's a bit consumed and I've been asking him for a while now and he hasn't been able to get around to it just yet.

Wow, that's bad advice.

Something is never obsolete until it ceases to do something you need it too.

Stick to mullets and hair bands wiener boy.

Good point and was something I was thinking about since I don't need it for much and therefore don't need many upgrades. If Word and Excel operate effectively for very basic purposes and I can surf the internet at a reasonable speed, then I'm fine.

Anyway, H8, since you're the guy that some have said is the one to talk to, what are your thoughts about the best laptop I could purchase in my price range?

Thanks to all others who have shared their advice.

Edited by Chappy

• 1 month later...
Guest Chappy

Thanks for all the input guys in regard to what laptop I should buy.

This is what I ended up with-

Module Description Show Details

Vostro 1400 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5270 (1.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)

Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition, SP2

LCD Panel 14.1 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Anti-Glare Display

Memory 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM

Video Cards Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

Hard Drive 160GB 5400RPM Hard Drive

Integrated NIC and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader

Optical Drive 8X DVD Burner w/ double-layer DVD+R write capability, w/ Roxio Creator

Sound Card Integrated High Definition Audio

Wireless Networking Cards Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Wi-Fi Internal Card

Camera Integrated 2.0 mega pixel Web Camera

Productivity Software No Pre-installed Productivity Software

MediaDirect Dell Exclusive MediaDirect™ Instant Play Software Application

Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-Install) No Pre-installed Anti-Virus/Security Software

Primary Battery 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Limited Warranty, Services and Support 1 Year Basic Limited Warranty plus 1 Year Mail-in Service

Installation Services No Onsite System Setup

Dell DataSafe Online Data Backup No Online Data Back Up Installed

Automated PC Tuneup No Dell Automated PC Tune Up Installed

Media No Media Software

Purchase Intent Purchase is not intended for resale.

Processor Branding Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

Labels Windows XP™

Anything I turned down like Microsoft works, no anti-virus, etc. my brother is going to put in when I get it. Total cost was under $700.

Thoughts?

Guest Chappy
Chappy... Does that mean you already bought a laptop? I missed ths thread, but I have a spare I could sell for pretty cheap...

Yup, just made the purchase last night. Thanks for the offer though and if I had known I just might've gone that route.

• 3 weeks later...
Anybody want to try and talk me out of getting a new MacBook? :wacko:

Macs are far superior to PCs.

They even run Windows better than PCs.

I recommend staying away from the low end Macbook however, the $1099. Much more worth it to jump up to the next level.

Send me a PM and we can chat more about it.