[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jared Allen trade rumors

Savage Beatings

As a Chiefs fan, I'm feeling pretty good about this trade.

However, I do find it a bit ironic that in the (nearly) 10 years I've been at thehuddle, this is (iirc) the first time that we've had a thread with (nearly) 200 posts on the Chiefs ... except now, the thread is about the Vikings and their stud DE.

:wacko:

I remember the thread to vote on CD's new Huddle name (Hermander in Chief, I think) being pretty popular.

Edited by budlitebrad

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Chiefs fan, I'm feeling pretty good about this trade.

However, I do find it a bit ironic that in the (nearly) 10 years I've been at thehuddle, this is (iirc) the first time that we've had a thread with (nearly) 200 posts on the Chiefs ... except now, the thread is about the Vikings and their stud DE.

:wacko:

Yea, but a quarter of them are from jealous Packer fans. :D

Yea, but a quarter of them are from jealous Packer fans. :wacko:

34-0

EDIT: On a side note, I just read that his first 2 strikes will be wiped out in September as long as he stays on the straight and narrow (which I think he will.) Even as a Packers fan, I'd rather see him on the field than suspended for something stupid and dangerous.

Edited by budlitebrad

34-0

EDIT: On a side note, I just read that his first 2 strikes will be wiped out in September as long as he stays on the straight and narrow (which I think he will.) Even as a Packers fan, I'd rather see him on the field than suspended for something stupid and dangerous.

According to the Strib Blog and PFT, the Vikings wrote some language in the contract that the Vikings get half of the guaranteed back if he gets in trouble between now and September 2009.

According to the Strib Blog and PFT, the Vikings wrote some language in the contract that the Vikings get half of the guaranteed back if he gets in trouble between now and September 2009.

I read it goes like this.

The problem is that the 2006 amendments to the Collective Bargaining Agreement prevent teams from attempting to recapture significant chunks of bonus money in the event of a player default. Instead, teams may only target a portion of the signing bonus proration for the year in which, for example, a suspension is imposed.

The Vikings addressed this problem by pushing half of the guaranteed money into 2009 and 2010, and by making the guarantee applicable to injury only, for now.

Here are the numbers.

Allen receives a signing bonus of $15,500,069, and a base salary of $750,000 in 2008.

In 2009, he gets a base salary of $7.75 million. A whopping $7.5 million of that amount is guaranteed against injury only; as of the first day of the 2009 league year, it is guaranteed for skill, too.

In 2010, Allen will receive a base salary of $6.38 million and a roster bonus of $8 million. The roster bonus is guaranteed for injury only; it becomes guaranteed for skill as of the first day of the 2009 league year.

Allen’s base salaries for 2011, 2012, and 2013 and $8,979,438, $11,619,850, and $14,280,612, respectively.

Allen will receive more than $38 million over the first three years of the deal. However, if he gets into any trouble before March 2009, the team can cut the cord, avoiding $15.5 million in guaranteed payments.

The total value? $73,260,069.