[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jared Allen trade rumors

Savage Beatings

Trade and money terms

April 22nd, 2008 – 11:03 PM by Kevin Seifert Judd and I have been working the phones to figure out exactly how much the Vikings have given up to pry DE Jared Allen from the Chiefs. And here it is: A first-round pick and two third-rounders. Meanwhile, Allen told Jay Glazer of FOX Sports that the contract is worth a whopping $74 million over six years and includes more than $31 million in guaranteed money.

That makes Allen the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history.

Meanwhile, here are the details on the draft picks that are exchanging hands:

The Vikings’ No. 1 in 2008, the 17th pick overall.

The third-round pick they acquired from Denver in a 2007 draft-day trade, the No. 73 overall

Their own third-round pick, the No. 82 overall

We’re also hearing that the Vikings and Chiefs might swap positions in a later round, giving the Vikings a higher pick in that round. Glazer reports that will happen in the sixth round, but we’re not sure which of the Vikings’ two sixth-round picks will get swapped.

So for now, here are the picks the Vikings own for this weekend’s draft:

The No. 47 overall (Round 2)

The No. 117 overall (Round 4)

The No. 150 overall (Round 5)

The No. 182 overall (Round 6)*

The No. 193 overall (Round 6)*

The No. 207 overall (Round 7)

*One of these picks will go to Kansas City in exchange for the Chiefs’ sixth-round pick, the No. 170 overall.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of teams are looking for Ryan or Ellis (Bal, Cin, NO, Det, Car, Chi maybe), so I'm sure they could find a trade partner.

I'm not so sure about that ...

I think that if Gholston, Chris Long or McFadden are available at #5, KC will be more likely to find a trading partner than if those guys are gone and Ellis and Ryan are on the board.

...wondering how far up in the first round they could go with that 3rd 3rd round pick from 1.17?

According to the draft point system thing

they could use their #5 overall (1700 points) and the #17 overall (950 points) to trade with St Louis into the #2 overall (2600 points). Or they could use any combination of the their other picks to move up. (I left off the later picks because they aren't certain yet and they descend in value points pretty quick after the 4th round)

round pick value points

1 1700

1 950

2 540

3 255

3 220

3 175

4 82

5 37

5 35

overall pick pick value points

1 3000 1. Miami

2 2600 2. St. Louis

3 2200 3. Atlanta

4 1800 4. Oakland

5 1700 5. Kansas City

...but, if one of the DEs is available (especially Chris Long), I can't see KC trading down (unless it is a stout package)...

However, if Long (and to a lesser extent Gholston) are off the table, I could see a trade down from KC to anyone in the 6-10 range.

NYJ could want Ryan, McFadden, Gholston, Ellis

NEP could want McFadden, Gholston, Ellis

BAL could want Ryan, Gholston, Ellis

CIN could want McFadden, Gholston, Ellis

NO could want Ellis, McFadden

KC would want at least their first and 3rd round picks to move down two spots ... a 1st and a 2nd to move down more than that ... but ... only if CLong is off the board. Otherwise, they stay pat and piss off Howie (who now has to root for his son's team to do well ... I couldn't wish anything finer on a Raider HOFer).

they could use their #5 overall (1700 points) and the #17 overall (950 points) to trade with St Louis into the #2 overall (2600 points). Or they could use any combination of the their other picks to move up. (I left off the later picks because they aren't certain yet and they descend in value points pretty quick after the 4th round)

round pick value points

1 1700

1 950

2 540

3 255

3 220

3 175

4 82

5 37

5 35

So, #17, plus their 3rd pick in the 3rd round ... plus maybe a 7th round pick ... should move them up to #13 from #17? And #17 plus their 1st 3rd round pick plus maybe a 5th rounder could get them up to #11 overall?

I'd be ok with something like that (especially if they are able to get Chris Long at #5) in order to get a linemen like Albert from UVA or Clady.

Edited by muck

round pick value points

1 950

3 255

3 220

overall pick pick value points

10 1300

202 24.4

...according to this pick value chart, effectively, the Chiefs just traded Jared Allen away for the 10th pick in the first and sixth rounds...

Edited by muck

Of course they could also move down a bunch, pick up a poop-ton of picks, and end up filling their entire roster with rookies which would be super awesome to see happen.

...they already have 13 picks...or about 25% of a new 53 man roster...

With 13 picks, Carl & Co. now have plenty to spend on a place kicker... :wacko:

...in all seriousness...

I would look to see KC take:

3-4 offensive linemen

2-3 defensive linemen

1-2 cornerbacks

1-2 wide receivers

1 quarterback

1 tight end or running back

1 linebacker or safety

1 kicker (or possibly a second QB)

That's a boat load. A Smoot sized boat load.

Welcome aboard Jared. :D

Who knows what Herm and Carl are thinking, but if it were me I'd do one of two things.

1. Trade down from #5 and pick up even more picks to fall into the 6-10 range and select Albert who they are hot for. Then package some picks to move up from #17 to get another lineman or maybe someone who falls that they have high on their board.

2. Stay put and draft the best available, package some more picks to move up from #17 and take another highly touted player.

Bad part about all of this is they have 13 players to sign (which is no small task for Carl) and if they have 2 first rounders to sign, or even two high first rounders :wacko: Good thing is if they keep all 13 picks they will surely hit on 25% of those :D

I like this move for the Chiefs although you never know what you'll get from draft picks in exchange for a proven player like Allen. Clearly they didn't want to commit big $ to him long term and two DUI's are troubling. The youth movement is necessary in KC and now it's time for Edwards and Peterson to earn their paychecks, make some good picks and build thru the draft.

I'm so sick about hearing about Favre :wacko: . Enough already Brett and Pack fans. You're were you should be .... done!

A Vikings fan brought it up. I just responded. They would cheer.

I have said I don't want him on the Packers, it's time to move on.

Good thing Favre will be at the 1st game. They might need him before halftime. :D

A Vikings fan talking about another teams qb? I guess that saying about casting stones when you live in a glass house fell on deaf ears...

:D

I'm so sick about hearing about Favre :wacko: . Enough already Brett and Pack fans. You're were you should be .... done!

Clown.

A Vikings fan talking about another teams qb? I guess that saying about casting stones when you live in a glass house fell on deaf ears...

:wacko:

Jared Allen has scored 2 touchdowns the last 4 years. Who needs an offense? :D

As a Chiefs fan, I'm feeling pretty good about this trade.

However, I do find it a bit ironic that in the (nearly) 10 years I've been at thehuddle, this is (iirc) the first time that we've had a thread with (nearly) 200 posts on the Chiefs ... except now, the thread is about the Vikings and their stud DE.

:wacko: