[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jared Allen trade rumors

Savage Beatings

Update: As of 3:50 p.m., Allen remains inside Winter Park. How do we know this? Well, a very big limousine is sitting in the parking lot of the Vikings facility. The Vikings also had limos wait outside when they were negotiating with free agents Bernard Berrian and Madieu Williams.

(from Star Tribune blog)

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad he can't score enough to win games. It is a good addition but will it help enough to win games?

but he can score, and not just with your wife/mom/sister

Jared Allen 2 catches 3 yards 2 tds

but he can score, and not just with your wife/mom/sister

Jared Allen 2 catches 3 yards 2 tds

2 touchdowns over a 61 game career equals 1 touchdown every 2 years. :wacko:

Hey it was just a question.

Well - almost midnight after 2 and half days of negotiations. I wonder if the Chiefs want too much compensation. The Vikings have said they won't give up 2 #1 draft picks. Maybe it is the opposite - Allan wants too much. Hopefully managment will do the right thing.

Ugh. The longer this goes, the more worried I get. I'm afraid if he gets out of town and goes to Tampa, we'll miss out on another one. Tampa seems so good at sealing the deal if they want someone, although the Vikes under Wilf have proven to get their man if they want him. I can guess that dealing with two personalities like Carl Peterson and Jared Allen could be somewhat difficult, though.

This is an interesting take from PFT:

VIKES CAN SIGN ALLEN POST-DRAFT

Posted by Mike Florio on April 19, 2008, 11:04 p.m.

Earlier on Saturday, we floated the possibility of the Minnesota Vikings signing Kansas City Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen to an offer sheet after the 2008 draft. If the Chiefs choose not to match the offer, they would be stuck with the Vikings’ first-round draft picks in 2009 and 2010.

Several readers asked whether such a move would be permissible, citing the Friday, April 18 deadline for signing players to offer sheets. Though vague, the CBA seemed to indicate that the pre-draft deadline applies only to restricted free agents, and not to franchise players. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed for us that there is no pre-draft deadline for signing franchise players to offer sheets.

Thus, if the Vikings believe that the team is going to be a solid contender over the next few years in a so-so NFC North (especially after Brett Favre’s retirement), why not make the run at Allen after the draft? The first-round picks in 2009 and 2010 will be low.

They’ll be even lower if the players whom the Vikes land in a 2008 draft that is deep but not top-heavy become solid contributors.

In our view, it’s a no-brainer. The Vikings should sign Allen to an offer sheet with a poison pill the moment after exercising the 17th overall selection in round one.

That's a riskly strategy however if Tampa or anyone else makes a serious offer for Allen in the meantime.

This is an interesting take from PFT:

That's a riskly strategy however if Tampa or anyone else makes a serious offer for Allen in the meantime.

I would think Minnesota made a serious offer and Allen is window shopping to find the best deal. It may be more than money and he may be looking for the best winning formula.

Allen isn't allowed to stay past 48 hours. If he's leaving it isn't because a deal fell through or he wants to shop for a better one. His agent is still here so things look to be moving.

Regarding the PFT rumors, it seems like they are assuming that the Vikes will be picking 30th after this year. That's a strong assumption. It is an interesting concept though.

So Allen came to Minnesota on a private jet. Is he leaving for Tampa on a greyhound? :wacko:

Rightfully so, Allen is going to Tampa to see what they have. Why would he eliminate other teams out of the equation, when it looks like KC isn't going to pay him and he doesn't want to play for them.

"Carl Peterson, who serves as Chiefs president, chief executive officer and general manager, is known in league circles as an extremely tough negotiator and could be looking for more in return." How can he be in a position of strength? Who is the last player he gave a blank check to? Allen doesn't want to stay.

Edited by MikesVikes

"Carl Peterson, who serves as Chiefs president, chief executive officer and general manager, is known in league circles as an extremely tough negotiator and could be looking for more in return." How can he be in a position of strength? Who is the last player he gave a blank check to? Allen doesn't want to stay.

Larry Johnson. No return on that investment, yet. (since he signed the contract)

Chiefs are rebuilding, plain and simple. The Chiefs are 3 years from being decent again, at which time Allen is close to 30.

Edited by Chief Dick

This will be hard to match.

The Vikings' contract proposal to Chiefs franchise player Jared Allen is believed to be worth $50-60 million over six seasons.

Roughly $25 million would be guaranteed. The K.C. Star reported late Sunday that the sides were close to an agreement, but this offer seems low. Dwight Freeney got $72 million over six years with $30 million guaranteed. Allen is more of an off-field risk, but has much better size and is younger.

Source: Tampa Tribune

This will be hard to match.

The Vikings' contract proposal to Chiefs franchise player Jared Allen is believed to be worth $50-60 million over six seasons.

Roughly $25 million would be guaranteed. The K.C. Star reported late Sunday that the sides were close to an agreement, but this offer seems low. Dwight Freeney got $72 million over six years with $30 million guaranteed. Allen is more of an off-field risk, but has much better size and is younger.

Source: Tampa Tribune

KC needs to keep him now for that price.

KC needs to keep him now for that price.

$2 million a year below Freeney's contract with DUI concerns plus it'll cost the Vikings to acquire him? Maybe the Chiefs keep him. I doubt it though. They seem to be looking for draft picks.

I wonder how they know that. Not a freaking peep has come out of Winter Park all weekend long. I think thats a lot of money. The Colts gave Freeney 12 million per year and actually 37 million of it was paid out in the 1st 3 years. What has he done since? Maybe the vikings are worried about that? Still - 10 million per year is a lot...

Feb. 7, 2008 - 10:32 p.m. ET

The Colts exercised a $15 million option bonus in DE Dwight Freeney's contract Thursday.

Freeney suffered a Lisfranc fracture in November, but the Colts weren't going to give up. The success rate of Lisfranc surgery has grown rapidly in recent years. Of some concern is Freeney's declining production. He has only nine sacks in his last 25 games after averaging 13 a year his first four seasons.

I wonder how they know that. Not a freaking peep has come out of Winter Park all weekend long. I think thats a lot of money. The Colts gave Freeney 12 million per year and actually 37 million of it was paid out in the 1st 3 years. What has he done since? Maybe the vikings are worried about that? Still - 10 million per year is a lot...

This is the LINK.

Excerpts-

TAMPA - We’re getting a better idea of what it will take to pry DE Jared Allen away from the Chiefs, and it’s not very appetizing.

Word now is that the Chiefs will settle for no less than a first- and second-round draft pick for their disgruntled “franchise’’ pass rusher.

It’s hard to imagine the Bucs giving that up, especially when they have just five draft picks and so many needs. It’s questionable whether the Vikings will give it up, too. ...

We’ll also continue to monitor the Allen situation. At this point, though, Allen is back home in California contemplating the Vikings’ offer, which is believed to be a six-year deal that includes $25 million in guarantees and carries a total value between $50 million and $60 million.

I'm just wondering if the Vikings have actually offered the contract. If they have, the Chiefs can automatically "not match", and receive a first this year and the Vikes 1st next year. I believe KC would jump on that.

My guess is that the Vikes have offered the first and third, while the Chiefs want the 1st and 2nd this year. In this case the Vikings would be smart to settle compensation BEFORE tendering the contract.

I'm just wondering if the Vikings have actually offered the contract. If they have, the Chiefs can automatically "not match", and receive a first this year and the Vikes 1st next year. I believe KC would jump on that.

This is the only way that I won't be completely upset if this trade goes through...