[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jared Allen trade rumors

Savage Beatings

Generally, KC needs more talent, not less.

Specifically, trading a player who will want a HUGH payday next year for a few picks would probably be a good idea. I'm not sure that we plan on paying him "top five DE" money ... ever ... so, getting something, rather than nothing, would be fine.

Also, it increases the number of ways that KC can really meet some needs in the draft.

For example, if we need a DE, and Chris Long falls to #5, we could pick him to fill in for Jared Allen ... and then use MIN's first round pick for an OT or OG (Branden Albert was in last weekend). Then, we could still use our early 2nd round pick on either a CB or another offensive linemen...and, if we're able to poach (say) a 1st and 3rd for JA, we could use our two third round picks on some combination of QB, OL, DT, CB and WR.

...assuming King Carl doesn't screw it up by taking just the wrong guys...

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally, KC needs more talent, not less.

Specifically, trading a player who will want a HUGH payday next year for a few picks would probably be a good idea. I'm not sure that we plan on paying him "top five DE" money ... ever ... so, getting something, rather than nothing, would be fine.

Also, it increases the number of ways that KC can really meet some needs in the draft.

For example, if we need a DE, and Chris Long falls to #5, we could pick him to fill in for Jared Allen ... and then use MIN's first round pick for an OT or OG (Branden Albert was in last weekend). Then, we could still use our early 2nd round pick on either a CB or another offensive linemen...and, if we're able to poach (say) a 1st and 3rd for JA, we could use our two third round picks on some combination of QB, OL, DT, CB and WR.

...assuming King Carl doesn't screw it up by taking just the wrong guys...

Thats the problem. You could Royal screw yourself. You don't want to do that. Who said any of these picks will truly pan out.

Thats the problem. You could Royal screw yourself. You don't want to do that. Who said any of these picks will truly pan out.

...who says that we'd want to pay "top five DE" money to Jared Allen?

...especially if we think we could draft Chris Long and sign him to a six or seven year deal ... plus get another couple of picks?

Ding Ding Ding, finally someone with some sense! Now that can work both ways...but I think Allen is worth top 5 DE money....easily :D He's not even in his prime yet :wacko:

...especially if we think we could draft Chris Long and him turn out to be a bust and have him signed for six or seven years ... plus get another couple of guys that we could cut in camp this year or next?

Fixed

Haven't we been down this road with Sims? Serioulsy...if you've found a gem.....keep him! How many times have we seen the Royals do this? Doesn't in pain you?

Edited by Hat Trick

...especially if we think we could draft Chris Long and sign him to a six or seven year deal ... plus get another couple of picks?

Who said Chris Long will even be as good as Allen. You build your team around talent you have and stock pile. But what if you get Chris Long and he plays like Johnathan Sullivan?

Ding Ding Ding, finally someone with some sense! Now that can work both ways...but I think Allen is worth top 5 DE money....easily :D He's not even in his prime yet :wacko:

Sure he's worth it(maybe top 3) but will they pay it?

Allen totally destroyed the Vikings last year in his first game back from suspension. 8 tackles, 2 sacks and a forced fumble! Give KC our #17 overall and one of our 2 thirds!!! Get this deal done. We have CAP room to sign him!!!!

We have waisted five 1st round picks in the last 12 drafts on the following ...

05 James 1.18 Oft injured

04 Udeze 1.20 Illness may end career

99 Underwood 1.29 Never played a game for the Vikings

96 Clemens 1.16 Bust

95 Alexander 1.11 Bust and Could have been W Sapp

Mocks have us taking Harvey if he is there but he is unproven and might not even be there. Merling is also projected but at 17 he may be a reach especially as he is more of a run stopper than a pass rusher and is coming off hernia surgery. I'll take the known quanity of potential especailly as Allen is in his prime right now.

Not saying that he is the only thing missing from this team to get them in the playoffs but everyone in the NFL knows we are looking for a pass rushing DE. Allen and the Williams boys plus a healthy James could be Purple People Eaters 2.0!!!!

From Strib blog

UPDATE: Chiefs President Carl Peterson issued a statement confirming the Chiefs have held “preliminary” trade talks for Allen with a “few” teams. The full text of Peterson’s statement:

We will confirm that we have been in conversation with a few teams regarding the possibility of acquiring Jared Allen’s contractual rights. Any potential agreement would be contingent on the Chiefs receiving appropriate compensation and Jared’s representative reaching a contract agreement.

Jared is not an exclusive franchise player. Therefore, based on the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, he has the right to visit and negotiate with other teams. However, for any trade to be completed, the Chiefs would need to reach an agreement on compensation. At this point, all of these discussions are preliminary.

Who said Chris Long will even be as good as Allen. You build your team around talent you have and stock pile. But what if you get Chris Long and he plays like Johnathan Sullivan?

Then we'd be screwed.

Then again, we're not exactly pre-season favorites for the super bowl as it sits...

Regardless of what we do with Jared, as long as Carl is the GM and Herm is hte HC, I'm not sure we're going anywhere...except back towards the top half of the draft...

You didn't have to go there. :wacko:

I know but trying to make a point. No one in this draft is a sure fire pro-bowler. To give away a Top flight DE. You got a piece keep it. I just hate to see it happen. But if he did go to the Vikings. And they trade for Taylor. I feel sorry for every defense. They are going to be sick with the d they have now and they score. Well all we can do is wait and see. But if it happens and I am the QB i might play injured that week. The William boys take on two blockers they self. And now u telling me to have Taylor and Allen take on one on one all day. That QB don't have a chance in hell.

I know but trying to make a point. No one in this draft is a sure fire pro-bowler. To give away a Top flight DE. You got a piece keep it. I just hate to see it happen. But if he did go to the Vikings. And they trade for Taylor. I feel sorry for every defense. They are going to be sick with the d they have now and they score. Well all we can do is wait and see. But if it happens and I am the QB i might play injured that week. The William boys take on two blockers they self. And now u telling me to have Taylor and Allen take on one on one all day. That QB don't have a chance in hell.

I was just throwing the Taylor thing out there. No way they get TWO high profile DE's like that at once. Would be cool though.

I would like to see this happen.

Jared Allen is one mistake away from a long suspension from the NFL. He was a good boy this year because he knows this is the year to get paid. And for those who think that all of a sudden he is a choir boy, remember this:

HE JUST OPENED A BAR.

Not the best decision for someone who is claiming to have his act together. Chiefs need to move him NOW. Because the reality is, they are rebuilding, and he is the one guy with appreciable value on this team.

And if he moves, this opens the door for Gholston on draft day. Plus, if they get another first this year, they get their O-line or corner addressed in the first round this year.

I'll take that all day.

As an Allen owner in IDP I don't know that I'm too thrilled about this... he is a top scoring D player where he's at now... sure a move to a better system could show some upside, but there's also potential he could dramatically drop off...

and what about his TD catches and involvement at the GL :wacko:

As an Allen owner in IDP I don't know that I'm too thrilled about this... he is a top scoring D player where he's at now... sure a move to a better system could show some upside, but there's also potential he could dramatically drop off...

The Vikes have come up with some good defensive schemes where the QB doesn't know what's coming. They had Rivers completely baffled and shut down and Allen would've been in his face all day long.