[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bengals turn down Skins offer!

ROYALWITCHEESE

They are more stubborn than I thought.

Chad Johnson - WR - Bengals

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Redskins recently offered their first-round pick in 2008 and their third-rounder in 2009 for Chad Johnson.

The third-rounder could've escalated to a first-rounder based on performance in 2009, but the Redskins were turned down. Mort says this is the first "significant proposal" Cincinnati has received for Chad. There is a chance Washington will up its offer on draft day, but the Bengals aren't budging yet. Apr. 22 - 11:06 a.m. ET

Wow... I think the Bengals are going to have to re-think there stance on not trading Johnson. Depending on what the conditions are of the 3rd that could potentially be a 1st, you may have to take that deal... He's going to be a hugh cancer and if you can get that kind of compensation, I think it's the way to go.

I think this is true, and I also believe it to be a disservice to Bengal fans.

The Browns have always been famous for their big-picture view of the league, rather than putting their own personal interests first. It's that kind of thinking that has made the NFL the league it is.

IIRC, they also refused to trade Dillon and Pickens. The Bengals seem hell-bent on showing their players who's boss, even at the expense of getting rid of a locker room cancer and moving forward.

They traded Dillon to NE for a 2nd rounder. Pickens got a new contract... eventually, and then he sucked.

If the trade report is true, sure they get picks, but how do they fit it into this year's cap? They'd be over the cap and have another 1st rounder and paycheck to get signed for 2008. It just doesn't work financially.

The only way they can get a deal done that makes financial sense is after June 1 when they split the cap hit over two years, but then they are down another WR after already losing Henry.

Its a catch-22.

Why would they bring on another locker room cancer?

They can just keep the one they already have.

Just because CJ is cancer in Cincy doesnt mean he will be here in NY. I will welcome him with open arms. Look at TO in Dallas. I bet you they dont regret making that deal.

Shockey is a distraction to NY but he may flourish elsewhere.

They traded Dillon to NE for a 2nd rounder. Pickens got a new contract... eventually, and then he sucked.

My point was that Dillon complained about a trade for several years before he was dealt. I don't recall Pickens' situation as clearly, but he was moaning for some time as well.

Even if the cap hit was manageable (which it doesn't appear to be right now), I doubt that they'd deal Chad just because he wants out. They have a long history of letting complainers twist in the wind.

The Browns have always been famous for their big-picture view of the league, rather than putting their own personal interests first. It's that kind of thinking that has made the NFL the league it is.

:wacko: and also the reason behind the staggering success of the bengals franchise over the years.

My point was that Dillon complained about a trade for several years before he was dealt.

Well he was never the best team guy, that's for sure. IMO, it was when Rudi really got going in 2003 and the fans chanting Rudi, Rudi, Rudi that Dillon became mr. super douchy. That was the year he demanded a trade after the trade deadline. :wacko: What a moran.

Well he was never the best team guy, that's for sure. IMO, it was when Rudi really got going in 2003 and the fans chanting Rudi, Rudi, Rudi that Dillon became mr. super douchy. That was the year he demanded a trade after the trade deadline. :wacko: What a moran.

I forgot about that last part. :D

I seem to recall him saying back in the late '90s that he'd "rather flip burgers" than continue to play for the Bengals. Team guy, indeed. He and Chad are two peas in a pod.

Edited by Bill Swerski

:wacko:

Now Lewis is telling Chad to be a man of his word and sit out. That's good stuff.

SI link

Bengals' Lewis to Chad Johnson: Keep your word and sit out

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Tired of Chad Johnson's posturing for a trade, Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis says the disgruntled receiver should keep his word and sit out the season.

Lewis also said Tuesday that linebacker David Pollack is leaning toward retirement. The former first-round draft pick broke a bone in his neck while making a tackle during the 2006 season.

Pollack's decision isn't a surprise. He has said all along that he doubted he would return if there was a chance he could injure the neck again.

Lewis' comments about Johnson were his strongest yet. The Pro Bowl receiver has been disgruntled since the middle of last season, when his look-at-me antics came under criticism.

Since the end of last season, Johnson has been lobbying for a trade even though he agreed to a long-term deal with the Bengals two years ago. Johnson's contract would pay him $3 million next season and extends through 2010, with a club option for 2011.

Although Johnson stopped talking to reporters in Cincinnati last season, he has done numerous national interviews in which he threatened to sit out the season if he's not traded. Lewis responded Tuesday by saying he should follow through with his threat.

"I've stated our case with Chad," Lewis said. "He has a contract through 2011. He's stated without an opportunity to go to a different team and a new contract, he wasn't going to play. I think he's a man of his word and says he's not going to play, so don't play."

Lewis said the Bengals haven't received a trade offer for Johnson. The club repeatedly has said it won't trade him.

You can pick only one:

A.Let star player lose value on your bench while he destroys your team, to teach him a lesson

B. Trade player and begin digging yourself out of the hole OWNERSHIP created.

Lost in all this is the fact that while teaching Chad a lesson, they will welcome Odell Thurman back today.