[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

One of the greatest plays in sports .....ever

isleseeya

Agreed whomper and that is why we are best huddle friends :wacko:

:D

Unta ,your last post don't jive ...people died for freedom ....does not mean a freedom to do anything and everything , including burning the flag

However I am available to arm wrestle you and pope if need be this weekend

If I win I get your green egg , if you win , you can burn all the flags you want , even the croatian one ( I have family there )

Edited by isleseeya

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed whomper and that is why we are best huddle friends :wacko:

:D

Unta ,your last post don't jive ...people died for freedom ....does not mean a freedom to do anything and everything , including burning the flag

However I am available to arm wrestle you and pope if need be this weekend

If I win I get your green egg , if you win , you can burn all the flags you want , even the croatian one ( I have family there )

You state this as fact, but it is your opinion. My opinion differs. I think you should know that I use flags to help start my lump charcoal on The Egg.

What about the Star of David? The Muslim Crescent and Star? The Scientology Cross? The Jesus fish? (etc.)

Surely you're not advocating protecting only your particular religious symbol? I have to assume you want a law to protect all religious symbols, yes?

I dont advocate burning any of those things. I have to assume there are passionate people out there of that follow the faith that those symbols you posted represent that will vehemently defend any desecration of them. I used the Cross because it represents my faith. Also I never asked for a law in any of my posts to make it illegal to burn the flag. It goes back to unwritten rules and self policing as far as I am concerned. Call it immature. Call it counterproductive. It doesnt matter to me. If you are angry enough at our Country to burn its greatest symbol you should probably try another country out and see how good you had it here. I will never agree that it is OK to burn our flag. The law is on the side of your argument. I would bet the majority of the Country is on the side of mine.

There are only two times that I have set fire to an American flag:

Once was when I set fire to a politician who was wearing an American flag lapel pin and the other time was when I was trying to get my students in Germany to like me better.

:wacko:

Unta..I admire your calm demeanor and ability to surpress natural impulses of violence. Like in the waterboarding thread. I give in to those impulses when it involves our country. Your ideas represent the foundation of America. Mine represent in some cases equal love for our Country but a compromise on the ideals if someone is disrespecting IMO the Country I love. Your thinking is healthier but there is a place and need for mine too.

Unta..I admire your calm demeanor and ability to surpress natural impulses of violence. Like in the waterboarding thread. I give in to those impulses when it involves our country. Your ideas represent the foundation of America. Mine represent in some cases equal love for our Country but a compromise on the ideals if someone is disrespecting IMO the Country I love. Your thinking is healthier but there is a place and need for mine too.

We are generally in agreement. I would never burn a flag as I find it immensely disrespectful. The same reason I've jumped on people who couldn't be bothered to vote--I find that immensely disrepectful to the people who died providing that privilege. However, I believe it is within a person's rights to burn a flag in protest if this is how he wants to express himself.

We are generally in agreement. I would never burn a flag as I find it immensely disrespectful. The same reason I've jumped on people who couldn't be bothered to vote--I find that immensely disrepectful to the people who died providing that privilege. However, I believe it is within a person's rights to burn a flag in protest if this is how he wants to express himself.

Couldn't have said it better.

Do you Italians get upset that we burn so much oil here in the U.S.? That's like one of your symbols, right? :wacko:

And awaaaaaaaay we go! :D

Its grease..And Sinatra...and Ricotta

I've posted this before. Many brave and honorable men and women have fought died in order to insure the right for all Americans to have the freedom of speech. This included nazi hate speech, the KKK, black panthers, and yes, burning the flag.

I know it is a well-worn cliche to say that, and I don't disagree that those idiots have a constitutional right to burn the flag without the government penalizing them for it. but I think you should ask someone who actually fought the nazis in WWII if they did so in order for ass holes to make a spectacle of themselves by burning the flag. the responses might be pretty amusing.

the funny thing about this thread is, one "side" is saying they would kick someone's ass, and the other "side" is saying "what about freedom of speech?" well, I don't think anyone in this thread is saying the government needs to outlaw flag burning. so the whole argument here is just a big fat non sequitur, far as I can tell.

the funny thing about this thread is, one "side" is saying they would kick someone's ass, and the other "side" is saying "what about freedom of speech?" well, I don't think anyone in this thread is saying the government needs to outlaw flag burning. so the whole argument here is just a big fat non sequitur, far as I can tell.

Since I've spent so much time at the Huddle that describes my sequitur perfectly.

Then leave us alone in our mental masturbation.

Kinda like "get chaprish" or "no leave chaprish alone"...

Much like the rolleyes, this whole thread seems to have went WHOOSH right over yer head...

Dude my last post was a joke ...apparently your are not in joking mood as witnessed by above response ..that's ok I like jokes that is why I am still laughing at your post comparing burning the flag as to burning your old clothes ..talk about whoosh and being out there

Dude my last post was a joke ...apparently your are not in joking mood as witnessed by above response ..that's ok I like jokes that is why I am still laughing at your post comparing burning the flag as to burning your old clothes ..talk about whoosh and being out there

Um, er, well, touche. You're right, I didn't get it. I must have a case of the dumbass today... :D

No disrespect, but I'm really amazed by this view. Basically, in my opinion, what you are saying is that if I disagree with your strongly held view, you feel it acceptable to physically attack.

The fact that a government and its people gives permission to the burning of its flag so very much legitimizes our freedom of speech. Again, so far as I know, you only find oppressive governments that institute laws against this act.

It would appear that we will have to disagree. I will not change your view and your argument is in no way convincing to me.

The first 2 minutes of this speech articulates the point very well. It's a movie, and there's some stuff written for the speech that I don't agree with, but the first 2 minutes are spot on.

There are countries where an individual is not allowed to burn the flag...North Korea, China, Iran - to name a few. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't want to live in those countries.
The fact that a government and its people gives permission to the burning of its flag so very much legitimizes our freedom of speech. Again, so far as I know, you only find oppressive governments that institute laws against this act.

sorry to interrupt your mental masturbation again, but according to this, flag burning is illegal in finland, germany, hong kong, new zealand, portugal and saudi arabia. denmark permits its citizens to burn their own flag, but forbids them from burning anyone else's :wacko: no mention is made of north korea, china, or iran.

sorry to interrupt your mental masturbation again, but according to this, flag burning is illegal in finland, germany, hong kong, new zealand, portugal and saudi arabia. denmark permits its citizens to burn their own flag, but forbids them from burning anyone else's :wacko: no mention is made of north korea, china, or iran.

:D So you are agreeing with Unta?