[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Universal Health Care

MikesVikes

I really hate this idea, but in reality if we are to have any form of universal health care coverage in the United States, then this is the way to do it... at the State level (not Federal). I hate what Minnesota has become. If I didn't have family/friend ties here, I would pack up for sure.

The situations do very greatly from state to state but if states were allowed to do just for themselves what they wanted instead of being a piece of the big pie, then some states like California, Texas and Florida that have significantly higher illegal immigrant problems by virtue of their location would really be in a bigger bind. I could see MIN being able to maybe do this unless the Canadians are a problem coming over to drink beer and spend their pennies.

The situations do very greatly from state to state but if states were allowed to do just for themselves what they wanted instead of being a piece of the big pie, then some states like California, Texas and Florida that have significantly higher illegal immigrant problems by virtue of their location would really be in a bigger bind. I could see MIN being able to maybe do this unless the Canadians are a problem coming over to drink beer and spend their pennies.

I never realized the problem with Universal Health Care was the question of illegals. I thought it was the fact that the health care industry would use its lobbying power to make sure their for-profit industry wasn't jeopardized. So, couldn't the system be set up where you must prove citizenship of the US (or state if its instituted at the state level) in order to receive care? It seems like an obstacle that could be worked through, if that is the main issue.

you can't make healthcare free...I hope this is not the case...

imagine how long it will take to see a doctor...:wacko:

They have universal health care in Germany and Switzerland and we haven't had to wait to see doctors here. In fact, we have gotten to see doctors here more quickly than we see them back in America.

(Note: universal health care and socialized health are not necessarily the same thing. In Switzerland and Germany, the doctors, insurance companies, etc. are still private as opposed to, say, England, where they are run by the government)

They have universal health care in Germany and Switzerland and we haven't had to wait to see doctors here. In fact, we have gotten to see doctors here more quickly than we see them back in America.

(Note: universal health care and socialized health are not necessarily the same thing. In Switzerland and Germany, the doctors, insurance companies, etc. are still private as opposed to, say, England, where they are run by the government)

Germany doesn't exactly have population issues ...and they aren't exactly in America...

I didn't knock free medical.....I knocked it in America because it's already a b!tch to wait and see the doctor....let alone if it were free...

edit: also...when someone is a great doctor elsewhere, they come here because that is where they'll get paid...

Edited by Avernus

Germany doesn't exactly have population issues ...and they aren't exactly in America...

I didn't knock free medical.....I knocked it in America because it's already a b!tch to wait and see the doctor....let alone if it were free...

Almost 9% of Germany's population (and 1/7 of Switzerland's population) consists of foreigners--so they have "population issues" as well. (I'm not sure why the comparison is invalid because they aren't in America.)

If the problem is long waiting times because there aren't enough doctors to go around, perhaps we need to put a dent into the AMA doctor-cartel and make it easier for people to become doctors.

Edited by wiegie

Almost 9% of Germany's population (and 1/7 of Switzerland's population) consists of foreigners--so they have "population issues" as well. (I'm not sure why the comparison is invalid because they aren't in America.)

If the problem is long waiting times because there aren't enough doctors to go around, perhaps we need to put a dent into the AMA doctor-cartel and make it easier for people to become doctors.

that would be bad...IMO anyways...