[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Home Theater

Perchoutofwater

I'm looking at getting a new surround sound system. I know next to nothing about audio. I've got a budget of $2,500. What should I get?

I will try to help.

you want 5.1 or 7.1?

Also, how big is the room?

Harman Kardon AVR 745 7.1 Home Theater Receiver HDMI 750

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-AVR-745-...1742.m153.l1262

CMT-340 SE CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER 300

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/produ...0c/cmt340c.html

CMT-340 SE MINI-TOWER MONITOR... 568

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/produ...0m/cmt340m.html

CBM-170 SE BOOKSHELF MONITOR... 350

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/produ...170/cbm170.html

SB12-Plus 700

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12plus.cfm

Edited by MrTed46

Go to www.avsforum.com and do your research. You can get a nice system for that price if you shop. I purchased a Sony 7.1 (700 watts I think) receiver on clearance for around $350. I purchased a set of new/discontinued Infinity floor speakers for $400 for the pair and a matching center channel for around $200. My sub is an Infinity 10" 350 watt and it sound fine. I got it for $200 on ebay new...retails for $500. My surrounds are Infinity and I think I paid around $250 for the pair. I run a 5.1 system.

So I paid less than $1500 and my system sounds really good. A 100 times better than the Bose crap I had before. For $2500, yours will be awesome if you do it right.

Don't skimp on the subwoofer. It makes all the difference.

Budget is a good first place to start.

With that in mind the next question has already been asked, how big is the room? Is it a perfect square or rectangle? Concrete floor? Hard wood? Carpeted? Depending on the room itself you may have some of that budget taken up by room treatments to help with the sound.

Next set of questions: Are you planning on using the current DVD player and TV? I know you said audio system, but I just want to make sure. Next question is: are there any current pieces of equipment that you plan on continuing to use such as CD players, separate receivers or the such.

Is this only going to be used for Movies and TV or will the system also be used for music as well?

Will the Mrs also use the system? How technologically inclined is she? Will you need to budget a good universal remote into the equation as well?

Sounds like a lot of questions, but just throwing makes and models of stuff at you isn't going to help much. We need to figure out what your needs are and then we can figure out what components fit those needs and your budget.

Budget is a good first place to start.

With that in mind the next question has already been asked, how big is the room? Is it a perfect square or rectangle? Concrete floor? Hard wood? Carpeted? Depending on the room itself you may have some of that budget taken up by room treatments to help with the sound.

Next set of questions: Are you planning on using the current DVD player and TV? I know you said audio system, but I just want to make sure. Next question is: are there any current pieces of equipment that you plan on continuing to use such as CD players, separate receivers or the such.

Is this only going to be used for Movies and TV or will the system also be used for music as well?

Will the Mrs also use the system? How technologically inclined is she? Will you need to budget a good universal remote into the equation as well?

Sounds like a lot of questions, but just throwing makes and models of stuff at you isn't going to help much. We need to figure out what your needs are and then we can figure out what components fit those needs and your budget.

Room is approximately 18 x 25, however the sitting area is only about 18 x 15 with the TV on the 8' wall due to a pool table. Flooring is carpet. I'm going to use my current TV. I"ll probably just use the PS3 for my DVD's unless there is something out there that is significantly better at a reasonable price. It will be used primarily for movies and games. I'm pretty good at juggling remotes, and getting the wife to actually sit down long enough to watch a movie is nearly impossible, so she really doesn't factor into the equation.

This is more important than you might think. After I finally got my system like I wanted it there were 4 or 5 remotes and many different settings for many differnt things. I bought a Harmony remote from Logitech and it cleared up everything, and made my life much easier. If she wants to listen to music she presses listen to music. If she wants to watch a DVD she presses watch a DVD. The remote does the rest.

Perch...consumer reports says:

Onkyo HT-SR800 is the best surround sound receiver to get considering price and quality, at $450. Top marks for sound quality and features, neat top marks for ease of use.

Just MHO, I have a Bose surround in a small room, and have had it for several years. I always used it with a separate DVD player and surround sound receiver, so the model I have (or the one available now) is the Acoustimas system. This system used to be in a 16x20ish room, and I never thought it was "bad" or "weak". I also always had a freestanding subwoofer that I attached, and 2 small additional "L" and "R" speakers, so maybe those things were the difference in what I felt I got and what some of the "audiophiles" think of the bose products.

I also have an onkyo receiver hooked up with a nice set of Cambridge Soundworks Newton floor speakers. It's nice. but IMO the "niceness" versus the convenience and additional money isn't necessarily worth it. The

I loved my Bose when I had an apartment. When I bought a home with a large living room that opened to the kitchen, I realized how bad the Bose were. There are extremely overpriced for the quality. My new system was cheaper than my Bose and there is absolutely no comparison to the quality. Do yourself a favor and don't even think about Bose.

I know the difference between 5.1 and 7.1, but does 7.1 make much difference?

Depends on the room. If your viewing position is in the middle of the room and there is space behind you, then yes it matters. If the seating area is against the rear wall, then don't waste your money on 7.1. A 6.1 might sound good in that scenario.

The subwoofer Mr.Ted suggested is awesome. It's the same subwoofer we used for my dad's system. It will flat out rattle your teeth if you turn it up.

Another suggestion...once your system is installed, calibrate it. Go buy yourself a sound pressure meter and calibrate each speaker.

The subwoofer Mr.Ted suggested is awesome. It's the same subwoofer we used for my dad's system. It will flat out rattle your teeth if you turn it up.

I have my sound system in the basement obviously below ground and my neighbor complains about the vibration. Its silly.

Depends on the room. If your viewing position is in the middle of the room and there is space behind you, then yes it matters. If the seating area is against the rear wall, then don't waste your money on 7.1. A 6.1 might sound good in that scenario.

So, if the sitting area is in the middle or the room, or closer to the TV, and I have pool table in the back of the room you are saying I should go with 7.1?

So, if the sitting area is in the middle or the room, or closer to the TV, and I have pool table in the back of the room you are saying I should go with 7.1?

In most case you can use multi room setup as 7.1 also. I know you mentioned back room so I am not sure how it looks exactly.

I love 7.1 but I have a big basement. I upgraded to 7.1 when I bought the house because my basement was big enough. In my old place 5.1 was just fine (7.1 over kill).

I would not buy cheaper speakers to accomplish 7.1 if thats what your asking. If the budget is set get 5.1 IMO. If you dont mind paying extra for the 2 speakers then go for it.

Just my 2 cents.

I know the difference between 5.1 and 7.1, but does 7.1 make much difference?

I almost always advise against a 7.1 system in a dedicated home theater. All it really forces you to do is to buy two additional speakers and the added effects are minimal to the overall movie experience. It's just not worth the additional scratch IMO. Now in a HT/music system, that's a different story. Many 7.1 receivers come with a dual zone capability that allows someone to watch a 5.1 movie in one room and then listen to 2 channel music in another room. Quite handy sometimes.

Next question is: do you have a preference between floorstanding or bookshelf speakers for the two main speakers? Each is a compromise of some things, floor standers typically have better bass response while bookshelves can give you better stereo imaging for music. I would tend to recommend floor standers for a HT, but you may have space considerations which don't make this feasible.

Also, have you thought about how you're going to wire the rear speakers? Do you have to worry about the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) or is this a playroom that you have complete control over?

Carpeting on the floors is good, it will help absorb much of the reflected sound, but there's still the walls to think of. Large pictures or wall hangings can be very helpful here. If there is any type of echo in the room it is most likely the walls doing it.

A general breakdown of the budget will go something like this:

Receiver - $500

SubWoofer - $700

Speakers - $1250 (5 x $250 each)

Wiring - $50

Armed with this information, you can now go shopping.

Also, have you thought about how you're going to wire the rear speakers? Do you have to worry about the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) or is this a playroom that you have complete control over?

Carpeting on the floors is good, it will help absorb much of the reflected sound, but there's still the walls to think of. Large pictures or wall hangings can be very helpful here. If there is any type of echo in the room it is most likely the walls doing it.

Receiver - $500

SubWoofer - $700

Speakers - $1250 (5 x $250 each)

Wiring - $50

Armed with this information, you can now go shopping.

I have complete control over the room. It is mine. If I want to take a crap in the middle of the floor, all she would say is you need to open the windows, it stinks up here. With regard to the walls, there are autographed jersey's, helmets, and balls hanging on the walls, some in picture frames , some in shadow boxes. I don't care what the speakers look like, the only thing I really care about is I don't want a bunch of wires running all over the place.

That's going to be your call. The only time I would consider 7.1 is if the seating area was in the middle and you had plenty of space behind you to really get the 7.1 effect. I've heard both and IMO there's not a huge difference. If it were me, I'd spend the extra money on better speakers. You can always upgrade to 7.1 later if your receiver allows it.

I have complete control over the room. It is mine. If I want to take a crap in the middle of the floor, all she would say is you need to open the windows, it stinks up here. With regard to the walls, there are autographed jersey's, helmets, and balls hanging on the walls, some in picture frames , some in shadow boxes. I don't care what the speakers look like, the only thing I really care about is I don't want a bunch of wires running all over the place.

OK, so being the construction guy you are, it shouldn't be difficult to run the wires through the walls and put wall plates where you want to put the speakers, right? Of course that bumps up the costs associated with the wiring, but the other solutions are 1) run the wires under the carpet. Not perfect, but it mostly keeps them out of sight. 2) run the wires behind any moulding you may have. The wires will still be exposed from the moulding to the speakers, but it's the same thing with the carpet. 3) Take a staple gun and tack the wires to the wall. Not pretty, but at least neat. 4) Duct Tape.

OK, so being the construction guy you are, it shouldn't be difficult to run the wires through the walls and put wall plates where you want to put the speakers, right? Of course that bumps up the costs associated with the wiring, but the other solutions are 1) run the wires under the carpet. Not perfect, but it mostly keeps them out of sight. 2) run the wires behind any moulding you may have. The wires will still be exposed from the moulding to the speakers, but it's the same thing with the carpet. 3) Take a staple gun and tack the wires to the wall. Not pretty, but at least neat. 4) Duct Tape.

With the current POS I have, the wires are ran under the molding, with one wire duct taped to the floor at a door opening into a closet.

With the current POS I have, the wires are ran under the molding, with one wire duct taped to the floor at a door opening into a closet.

I was kidding about the duct tape. :wacko:

I was kidding about the duct tape. :wacko:

I'm not. I'll probably hire some one to install the new one. If it is done right, and I don't have to jack with it, then I don't care if it costs me a few more bucks.