[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My dog Lizzie on TV

Sugar Magnolia

Lizzie, my Aussie is on TV this week showing how to train an off leash recall. She had a questionable recall when the ducks started flapping their wings. Please do note her prior recalls off the ducks were pretty good until they "went into motion" She has such high prey drive that the recall is a life long challenge for me.

http://www.kohd.com/article.aspx?id=34608

Here's my segment last week:

http://www.kohd.com/article.aspx?id=33534

I really like these segments.

Training a dog makes so much sense when someone explains how to do it. I wish I had started earlier knowing what I was doing with my dog. Treating them like people doesn't work. Ironically though... treating people like dogs does work. :wacko:

Good Stuff!

This is all very cool. However, with all due respect, my dog likes to act like a jackass when I take her in the field. Somewhat, shall we say, dog like. Having a dog trained to be "polite" is all good and nice, but can't we just let them be nuts and act like the animals that they are. Mattie loves to go nuts on our walks in the fields and I like it too. She chases the gophers, birds, and squirrels and has a blast. To have her coddle at my side all the time would take away from the experience. What's wrong with that? Just sayin'...

I'm sure your'e training is fulfilling, but sometimes I wonder if we humans go too far with the obedience thing....thoughts??

This is all very cool. However, with all due respect, my dog likes to act like a jackass when I take her in the field. Somewhat, shall we say, dog like. Having a dog trained to be "polite" is all good and nice, but can't we just let them be nuts and act like the animals that they are. Mattie loves to go nuts on our walks in the fields and I like it too. She chases the gophers, birds, and squirrels and has a blast. To have her coddle at my side all the time would take away from the experience. What's wrong with that? Just sayin'...

I'm sure your'e training is fulfilling, but sometimes I wonder if we humans go too far with the obedience thing....thoughts??

You want to know your dog will come back when you call-this segment was teaching that. My dogs range and are allowed to be a dog when I have them off leash. I love watching my Gordon Setter hunt his birds, and my Aussie hunt her chipmunks, and love watching the joy they feel being free off leash and run as fast as their legs can carry them, and they get to do that. I got into trail running just so I could share the outdoor experience with them. They are never at my side off leash. But, I also need to make sure I can call them off of a horse who might be spooked by them, a person afraid of a dog, an unfriendly dog on a leash, or call them back so they don't run right in front of a mountain biker and throw them over the handle bars. If my dog is chasing a squirrrel towards a busy street, or a deer that could hurt them, or get them lost as they chase them for a mile, I want to be able to call him/her back. That is about being a responsible dog owner, and about keeping them safe.

Sugar. I absolutely can not get my 2 Golden retriever/Standard Poodles to stop digging in my yard. We split the yard so we have one good side and their side. There side looks like Afghanistan. Is it true you cant discipline a dog unless you catch them in the act ? How can I get them to stop digging giant holes in my yard ? :wacko:

Edited by whomper

Sugar. I absolutely can not get my 2 Golden retriever/Standard Poodles to stop digging in my yard. We split the yard so we have one good side and their side. There side looks like Afghanistan. Is it true you cant discipline a dog unless you catch them in the act ? How can I get them to stop digging giant holes in my yard ? :wacko:

Stop burying dead bodies in it

I love these segments. We inherited a beagle that is like putting a squirrel on a leash when she walks her. When I walk the same dog, she's much more calm. I've had dogs my whole life though and she's new to 'em. Takes aloooot of patience. :wacko:

I really like these segments.

Training a dog makes so much sense when someone explains how to do it. I wish I had started earlier knowing what I was doing with my dog. Treating them like people doesn't work. Ironically though... treating people like dogs does work. :wacko:

get my slippers!

Fixing digging is not easy because it is so reinforcing to the dog because some of them love doing it, and they do it when you aren't around, so training is difficult. It is best to first diagnose why they dig which is due to either boredom, trying to get cool, to escape (if it is by the fencelines only), to bury things, digging for moles, voles, gohphers, genetic (like being a terrier), or seperation anxiety. My solution suggestions would be different depending on WHY they do it. So, if you have an idea why, I can help you better.

Fixing digging is not easy because it is so reinforcing to the dog because some of them love doing it, and they do it when you aren't around, so training is difficult. It is best to first diagnose why they dig which is due to either boredom, trying to get cool, to escape (if it is by the fencelines only), to bury things, digging for moles, voles, gohphers, genetic (like being a terrier), or seperation anxiety. My solution suggestions would be different depending on WHY they do it. So, if you have an idea why, I can help you better.

Could be seperation anxiety or possibly boredom. They are usually in the house with us. Sometimes we leave them in the yard so they can stretch their legs and run around. They like to wrestle each other so when they start that in the house we let them out and I watch them run after each other and wrestle outside. On a nice day my wife leaves the house at 3:30 and I get home at 6:30 so she will leave them out a few times a week (with food and water) until I get home. We figure they fresh air and space to run is good for them as opposed to being in the house and a nice day when we arent there. I hope that helps

While we're tapping the expert, can you recommend a reference (book) or any other means (go see a professional?) by which I can paper train my Yorkshire Terrier. I only had big dogs as a kid and training them to tell you when they needed to go out was easy. I bought my wife a Yorkie for Christmas and we've been fighting it ever since. She turned a year in January, if that helps. I have been telling my wife to take her to obedience school, but is that the right move?

She's the sweetest little animal I've ever met. I was skeptical at first because at 3-1/2 pounds I was afraid the kids would trample her, but she is fantastic. She owns the house, already, and lets everyone know.

TIA

You want to know your dog will come back when you call-this segment was teaching that. My dogs range and are allowed to be a dog when I have them off leash. I love watching my Gordon Setter hunt his birds, and my Aussie hunt her chipmunks, and love watching the joy they feel being free off leash and run as fast as their legs can carry them, and they get to do that. I got into trail running just so I could share the outdoor experience with them. They are never at my side off leash. But, I also need to make sure I can call them off of a horse who might be spooked by them, a person afraid of a dog, an unfriendly dog on a leash, or call them back so they don't run right in front of a mountain biker and throw them over the handle bars. If my dog is chasing a squirrrel towards a busy street, or a deer that could hurt them, or get them lost as they chase them for a mile, I want to be able to call him/her back. That is about being a responsible dog owner, and about keeping them safe.

Good point. This was my only :wacko: moment so far. She ran into a horse field and wouldn't come back when I called. A mare was getting aggresive and the handler came out and said "you better get her away from that mare or its over". Like I'm gonna run in there and take on a horse. I was really worried that day, but she eventually got the point and came back out of from the charged horse fence. Your right, its best to have them trained to obey in these situations.

Could be seperation anxiety or possibly boredom. They are usually in the house with us. Sometimes we leave them in the yard so they can stretch their legs and run around. They like to wrestle each other so when they start that in the house we let them out and I watch them run after each other and wrestle outside. On a nice day my wife leaves the house at 3:30 and I get home at 6:30 so she will leave them out a few times a week (with food and water) until I get home. We figure they fresh air and space to run is good for them as opposed to being in the house and a nice day when we arent there. I hope that helps

Sorry this has been a long week....

This doesn't sound like separation anxiety. There would be digging at the fencelines or digging to try to get back in the house and barking, more precise a howl type bark-calling to the pack.

It sound like boredom. These are the resolutions.

1. More exercise-off leash runs, lots of fetch and make them dead tired. Offer mental stimulation as well as physical

2. Give them something else to do outside. Rawhides, stuffed Kongs, raw marrow bones

3. Give them their own digging area and hide rawhides, stuffed Kings and marrow bones. When they dig elsewhere, redirect

them to their 'sand box" to dig as they please.

While we're tapping the expert, can you recommend a reference (book) or any other means (go see a professional?) by which I can paper train my Yorkshire Terrier. I only had big dogs as a kid and training them to tell you when they needed to go out was easy. I bought my wife a Yorkie for Christmas and we've been fighting it ever since. She turned a year in January, if that helps. I have been telling my wife to take her to obedience school, but is that the right move?

She's the sweetest little animal I've ever met. I was skeptical at first because at 3-1/2 pounds I was afraid the kids would trample her, but she is fantastic. She owns the house, already, and lets everyone know.

TIA

Training to paper is no different than training to go outside. Take them to the paper when it's time "to go" instead of outside. A great little booklet on housebreaking a dog is a booklet titled "Way to Go". In the booklet the author discusses how to teach a dog to go outside-but just substitute outside to paper. I'm sure it is on Amazon or try www.dogwise.com or patriciamcconnell.com. Obedience school with a well research trainer who does reward based training is a good idea-but it won't housebreak your dog. It will teach basic commands, build a better relationship and bond with your dog, and teach you how to be the pack leader.

Training to paper is no different than training to go outside. Take them to the paper when it's time "to go" instead of outside. A great little booklet on housebreaking a dog is a booklet titled "Way to Go". In the booklet the author discusses how to teach a dog to go outside-but just substitute outside to paper. I'm sure it is on Amazon or try www.dogwise.com or patriciamcconnell.com. Obedience school with a well research trainer who does reward based training is a good idea-but it won't housebreak your dog. It will teach basic commands, build a better relationship and bond with your dog, and teach you how to be the pack leader.

Thanks. I'll pick up the booklet, for sure.

We spent the weekend teaching little Bella to stay, sit, etc. I am amazed at quickly she picked up on it and wanted to please us. I've loved big dogs my whole life, but this 3 pounder is awesome! She does take "lap dog" to a whole new level, though. If you sit down, she wants to be touching you.

Thanks, again.

J