[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Complaining to Moderators

untateve

I have heard that one of the reasons that threads sometimes get locked/deleted here in the Tailgate is because various members will complain to moderators. These complaints multiply and we are left with a somewhat watered down version of the Tailgate.

I am interested in understanding why people complain to the moderators (i.e., DMD, WW). I'm not looking to flame anyone or start a pile on. I'm really curious.

In my view, there is almost nothing that could offend me enough on a message board that would cause me to complain to a moderator to lock down a thread. I, like many, find that debates that deteriorate into name calling to be tiresome. However, I find it relatively simple to just opt out. I've never considered going to a moderator over something like this.

I'm hoping that someone can explain to me the thinking/processing that goes into the decision to involve a moderator. I promise not to flame anyone, but I guess others would. If someone would like to PM me the reason, I give my word that I will not share the PM with anyone. I really don't understand.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never run to mama (DMD/WW) about any post. So, I really can't answer your question, Unta.

But it does deserve an answer.

As a slice of the greater society, there is no surprise what people complain about. They don't like to see certain things disparaged that they identify themselves with (and hence are being disparaged indirectly). The things that people find offensive here are no different than you would see in society, particularly things pertaining to religion, politics and the like. I have tried very hard to allow political threads to continue even though I have had to Josh Gordon some of them. But as a public board open to all, it does default to the lowest common denominator.

Total freedom and lack of moderation sounds great to many and in the right place it can be. That just isn't here. Trust me, the boards are what they are for a reason.

As a slice of the greater society, there is surprising in what people complain about. They don't like to see certain things disparaged that they identify themselves with (and hence are being disparaged indirectly). The things that people find offensive here are no different than you would see in society, particularly things pertaining to religion, politics and the like. I have tried very hard to allow political threads to continue even though I have had to Josh Gordon some of them. But as a public board open to all, it does default to the lowest common denominator.

Total freedom and lack of moderation sounds great to many and in the right place it can be. That just isn't here. Trust me, the boards are what they are for a reason.

Your avatar cracks me up. I literally just seconds ago polished off a box of white cheddar cheez-its. That's some good sh-t.

Guest Chappy
I'm offended by Cheez-its. Please lock this thread.

I'm offended by Sheik's avitar flaunting the idea that Tom Cruise and his dragon tongue are trying to perform cunnilingus on Oprah Winphrey. Lock this thread up baby and ban the pron provider immediately!!!

ETA: For the record, I've never complained to the moderators.

Edited by Chappy

As a slice of the greater society, there is no surprise what people complain about. They don't like to see certain things disparaged that they dentntify themselves with (and hence are being disparaged indirectly). The things that people find offensive here are no different than you would see in society, particularly things pertaining to religion, politics and the like. I have tried very hard to allow political threads to continue even though I have had to Josh Gordon some of them. But as a public board open to all, it does default to the lowest common denominator.

I understand why debates deteriorate into name calliing--when a person really doesn't have anything intelligent to add, they call names. Others call names to bludgeon those with opposing views into submission. Of course, some just call names to get a rise out of others, but that's fairly easy to spot. I can't imagine getting upset over any of these scenarios--even when someone attacks something I care about.

I guess I don't get why it bothers someone so drastically that they essentially want to end discussion/debate on the board.

i dont believe anyone who has complained to a moderator , will have the stones to post it here nor give reasons

i have never have and i am pretty sure i never will

A few times heated threads get out of hand to the point where it does no good to have it up... I've sent a pm to Big John once before saying that a thread needs to be checked out as one member was getting flamed beyond what he deserved, and a few other huddlers were getting nasty... I don't think running and complaining at anything that offends is a good idea, but there is a point where certain threads need to be contained...

Guest Chappy
what about a separate forum for controversial topics?

I'm new here, so if that's been suggested before, please spank me.

:wacko: Well you asked for it.

Besides, another option is for all sensitive momos to grow a sack. :D

Guest Chappy
A few times heated threads get out of hand to the point where it does no good to have it up... I've sent a pm to Big John once before saying that a thread needs to be checked out as one member was getting flamed beyond what he deserved, and a few other huddlers were getting nasty... I don't think running and complaining at anything that offends is a good idea, but there is a point where certain threads need to be contained...

F'ing RAT!!!

That thread was probably one of mine. :wacko:

I am likely involved with more mud slinging than anyone and I often am lured into it by a few hyenas but I have never...ever complained. I take what is dished out...as annoying as it might be and I move on. This is a friggin forum built around NFL football...not a private school system. I'd suspect some of the moderators feel like they are stepping in and just dropping a bullet in a thread isn't going anywhere. I agree with Untav...if you get yer feelings hurt here, you might be weak.

This is DMD's and WW's site and we pay for a service. If they want to lock down a thread about Tom Brady and how he got destroyed by the Giants...who cares. It is there site...

Edited by SuperBalla

I am likely involved with more mud slinging than anyone and I often am lured into it by a few hyenas but I have never...ever complained. I take what is dished out...as annoying as it might be and I move on. This is a friggin forum built around NFL football...not a private school system. I'd suspect some of the moderators feel like they are stepping in and just dropping a bullet in a thread isn't going anywhere. I agree with Untav...if you get yer feelings hurt here, you might be weak.

This is DMD's and WW's site and we pay for a service. If they want to lock down a thread about Tom Brady and how he got destroyed by the Giants...who cares. It is there site...

I reported your post to the moderators for poor grammar.

I'm offended by Sheik's avitar flaunting the idea that Tom Cruise and his dragon tongue are trying to perform cunnilingus on Oprah Winphrey.

It's actually supposed to be Tom Cruise using his Sith lightning to try and kill Oprah. I'm not sure what the tongue is all about. Still, I agree locking the thread is warranted.

So you are kind of like the Huddle's version of Robin Hood?

Guest Chappy
It's actually supposed to be Tom Cruise using his Sith lightning to try and kill Oprah. I'm not sure what the tongue is all about. Still, I agree locking the thread is warranted.

:wacko:

Wow!! I totally missed the boat with the lightning. I thought the lightning was actually part of the white dress Tom was trying to lift up.

I'm offended by Sheik's avitar

I'm offended by people who pretend to be other people while subscribing to mail order ghey pron :wacko:

please spank me.

This request would be easier if DMD made a new folder called "Cliaz's Dungeon" and all newbs shuold 1 week in there posting :D

I reported your post to the moderators for poor grammar.

I reported you to for picking out correct grammar...why do you hate publik schoolin?

Edited by SuperBalla