[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

new PC for home use

Azazello1313

I'm reasonably computer savvy, but I still haven't touched vista. I only know about it through anecdotes, horror stories, legends and myths. my first inclination is to stick with what I know works how I need it to work. but maybe vista has gotten better since its initial release? any feedback is appreciated.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reasonably computer savvy, but I still haven't touched vista. I only know about it through anecdotes, horror stories, legends and myths. my first inclination is to stick with what I know works how I need it to work. but maybe vista has gotten better since its initial release? any feedback is appreciated.

It's still guzzles memory (2 gig minimum!), has compatibility issues w/ older s/w, older hardware drivers, and most large IT Depts won't change for other issues. I'd stay w/ XP, but good luck finding anything new in a desktop that has XP offered. Dell still offers it in their Business laptops.

It's still guzzles memory (2 gig minimum!), has compatibility issues w/ older s/w, older hardware drivers, and most large IT Depts won't change for other issues. I'd stay w/ XP, but good luck finding anything new in a desktop that has XP offered. Dell still offers it in their Business laptops.

I was at dell's site today configuring a home/home office desktop with xp :D

eta: also configured one w/ xp through tigerdirect. dell was significantly cheaper for the same specs, though :wacko:

Edited by Azazello1313

Vista has bugs and XP doesn't. I looked into buying a new PC and the price is the same for XP and Vista. If I buy it I'll go with XP.

Yeah. Dell gives you a choice until about the 16th. Vista basic tries selling you a number of upgrade versions. It's like they sell you a trial and keep asking for more money.

I'd get no new PC with Vista, but XP isn't going to be available much longer. My dad could only find 1 Dell laptop last month that didn;'t come with Vista preinstalled. You honestly think that Microsoft is going to be getting better any time soon?

I've gone mac and am happy so far. There something to be said for a completely integrated system.

I was at dell's site today configuring a home/home office desktop with xp :D

eta: also configured one w/ xp through tigerdirect. dell was significantly cheaper for the same specs, though :wacko:

Unless something has changed, XP was only available on Business systems. And even then, the real high end stuff was Vista! :D

I'd get no new PC with Vista, but XP isn't going to be available much longer. My dad could only find 1 Dell laptop last month that didn;'t come with Vista preinstalled. You honestly think that Microsoft is going to be getting better any time soon?

I've gone mac and am happy so far. There something to be said for a completely integrated system.

He didn't look at Vostro! Try and play any War Game or any new game w/ a Mac! Try and get AutoCad to work on a Mac! Try to get many business apps to work on Mac?

I'll admit .....Macs are cute, but overpriced and serve a niche market. H8....where are you????

Macs have their place, but it is NOT a cure for many users! 92% of the market is PC. 8% is Mac!

He didn't look at Vostro! Try and play any War Game or any new game w/ a Mac! Try and get AutoCad to work on a Mac! Try to get many business apps to work on Mac?

I'll admit .....Macs are cute, but overpriced and serve a niche market. H8....where are you????

Macs have their place, but it is NOT a cure for many users! 92% of the market is PC. 8% is Mac!

I have run both AutoCad and Assassin's Creed on my Macbook Pro, both run flawlessly. So I've done a bit more than try.

Macs cost more than PCs because you're buying a quality product with excellent customer and technical support.

The average PC lasts a little over a year while Macs last three to four years.

If I ever do run into any problems on my Mac and call their customer support, I am speaking to someone in Texas or California within five minutes. I don't know if you've ever been on the phone with a Dell representative, but it takes at least half an hour to get there, and even then you can't understand a word they're saying.

My father works for Intel, and because of this I grew up on PCs. I've probably been through more than fifteen machines.

I switched to a Mac two years ago, and haven't regretted it a day since.

I have run both AutoCad and Assassin's Creed on my Macbook Pro, both run flawlessly. So I've done a bit more than try.

Macs cost more than PCs because you're buying a quality product with excellent customer and technical support.

The average PC lasts a little over a year while Macs last three to four years.

If I ever do run into any problems on my Mac and call their customer support, I am speaking to someone in Texas or California within five minutes. I don't know if you've ever been on the phone with a Dell representative, but it takes at least half an hour to get there, and even then you can't understand a word they're saying.

My father works for Intel, and because of this I grew up on PCs. I've probably been through more than fifteen machines.

I have NEVER had a PC last me just a little over a year...actually EVERY PC I have ever had has lasted me over 4 yrs......

my 1st pc was a 286 machine back in 90 and i used it for my business for 2 yrs and then sold it(it was a pre windows system)

my 2nd pc was a gateway with a P2 and lasted me well ummm I actually still have it and used it in my business the last 5 yrs...right now it still works but is sitting in the closet collecting dust because I closed my business

my 3rd pc i bought in 2002 and is still going strong but when we opened our 2nd store last yr I had to buy 3 new PCs so since 1 of those was a much more powerful machine that is what I have in my home and my 3rd pc is sitting there collecting dust but it does work and works very well.

oh and the PC my wife uses which works just fine was purchased in 2000

now, i guess I could be the exception but for some reason I think you are exaggerating

Edited by keggerz

The average PC lasts a little over a year

You're doing it wrong.

So, I like Macs, and I used to be a Mac network system admin. I've worked for two companies that ran on Mac networks. They have lots of upside, but I'm not drinking cool aid either... they have downsides.

The company I currently work for makes an applications that does not currently support Mac, and occasionally we get hate mail about it. Recently we had someone complain about it in a particularly annoying way, and I came very close to responding with:

"I understand that macs are growing in popularity among young people, but our product is intended to run at a business, not for a hippie to run next to his bong and futon."

Common sense saved me from hitting the send button on that one at the last second.

:wacko:

I heard the prices for Linux are really coming down these days.

I like it so much that I will personally pay for the license and mail any huddler their very own copy of mepis 6.5.

I know, I am too generous sometimes.

I have NEVER had a PC last me just a little over a year...actually EVERY PC I have ever had has lasted me over 4 yrs......

my 1st pc was a 286 machine back in 90 and i used it for my business for 2 yrs and then sold it(it was a pre windows system)

my 2nd pc was a gateway with a P2 and lasted me well ummm I actually still have it and used it in my business the last 5 yrs...right now it still works but is sitting in the closet collecting dust because I closed my business

my 3rd pc i bought in 2002 and is still going strong but when we opened our 2nd store last yr I had to buy 3 new PCs so since 1 of those was a much more powerful machine that is what I have in my home and my 3rd pc is sitting there collecting dust but it does work and works very well.

oh and the PC my wife uses which works just fine was purchased in 2000

now, i guess I could be the exception but for some reason I think you are exaggerating

I'm not saying that PC's aren't capable of making it longer than a year. I'm saying the average PC doesn't.

PCs are completely capable of making it many years if you know how to maintain them. However your average PC user doesn't know how to keep their computer virus clean, defrag their heard drive, run cache cleans, and physically keep the computer in good condition (cleaning out dust, etc...).

Macs average life is longer simply because you don't have to do these things - which is part of why they are priced higher than PCs.

I'm not saying Macs don't have their downsides either Atomic.

I'm simply saying that arguing they can't run graphics intensive software as good as PCs is a silly argument.

Popular Mechanics did a study that proved Macs run Vista better than their equivalent PCs

We even tested Vista on the Macs using Apple’s platform-switching Boot Camp software—and found that both Apple computers ran Vista faster than our PCs did.

Sure, Vista isn't anyone's ideal software to run, but it is graphic intensive. :wacko:

Edited by kpholmes

:wacko: a niche market of people that want a problem free computing experience?

Market share has nothing to do with better anymore. It has to do with investment in entrenched technology and people going with what they know.

I knew this would happen. see how the topic says "new PC for home use"? that means I've pretty much narrowed it down to a PC. mostly I will be dicking around with this machine but I DO have some real software I will occasionally run on it, so a mac isn't really an option.

anyway, went ahead and ordered a dell with xp pro tonight. just didn't want to take the chance that some programs might not work right on vista. very nice price, I was pleasantly surprised at the kind of computer you can get for 700 clams these days.

why are you afraid of happiness? it's never too late old man.

:wacko: a niche market of people that want a problem free computing experience?

I'm starting to think there are subliminal mind control messages embedded in apple technology. you people sound like scientologists.