[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Barry Sanders

Zooty

Cowboys O-Line- :D Lot's of pro-bowlers...Hall of fame receivers/QB/Offensive lineman

Detroit O-Line - :D Name one offensive lineman in the Barry era? How about their QB's? Did Herman Moore make it to the pro-bowl more than one year, let alone the HOF?

:wacko:

DET was a top 10 O 2 years while a bottom 20 O 2 years of the years Barry played. DAL was a top 10 O in 6 years while a bottom 20 O 6 years of the years Smith played. If you want to play stats games, you'd better do some research.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DET was a top 10 O 2 years while a bottom 20 O 2 years of the years Barry played. DAL was a top 10 O in 6 years while a bottom 20 O 6 years of the years Smith played. If you want to play stats games, you'd better do some research.

I never said anything about stats...I was making the point that on an NFL team, the more weapons you have, the easier it is to run the ball. What kind of Defenses did both teams see, genius? I am willing to bet the Boys saw a lot more packages than the Lions did. Detroit had Barry, and that was pretty much it. Which means teams put a lot more in the box.

Are you saying that with Troy Aikman, Micheal Irvin, Jay Novacheck, and Daryl "Moose" Johnston on the offense, that a lot of teams played in the box against the Boys...just to stop Emmit?

Barry never had a fullback did he?

Better yet gimme this stat, BB. What is the ratio of Hall of Famers on each team (offense)

during each RB's career? How about pro-bowlers?

I do A LOT of research when it comes to stats so I have that under control, thanks. But you should re-think the facts before you come to the table with comparisons of Emmit and Barry.

Of course I mentioned that. Big players step up in big games. Barry's performance speaks for itself. -1 yds rushing in 13 carries? In a playoff game? C'mon. Stop making excuses and admit that he had a hole in his game.

His hole was that there never was one...

He created his own...

Barry never had a fullback did he?

So you're saying that a team running out of a spread O is a disadvantage to a RB?

Why don't you just say that you enjoy sniffing Barry's jock. It would make your argument more credible than what you are putting forth right now.

So you're saying that a team running out of a spread O is a disadvantage to a RB?

Why don't you just say that you enjoy sniffing Barry's jock. It would make your argument more credible than what you are putting forth right now.

Ok, I enjoy sniffing Barry's jock.

Happy?

Edit: How about all those other not credible points I made? Nothing to say for that?

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

Ok, I enjoy sniffing Barry's jock.

Happy?

:wacko: Yes.

Look, Barry was a great RB. You can't question his talent. But I'll readily admit a bias for a RB who is always leaning forward to one who gives up ground in an effort to gain ground (with the possible exception of Payton, who would give up ground occasionally but never seemed to get tackled in the backfield).

When you compare Sanders & Smith, you are comparing RBs with vastly different running styles, and so it becomes very difficult to assess which one is better in a manner that supports one overwhelmingly over the other, other than a personal bias.

I like Smith's style better. I think it helps an O more to have a RB constantly moving forward and creating better situations in the following down with every run. It contributes to consistancy in the overall offensive scheme, and it grinds down Ds.

Others like the scatter-shot any-given-play-can-go-for-a-TD type of exciting runner more, I'd guess mostly because of the occasional eye-popping run that he produces. But I hate it when a RB gets tackled for a loss while searching for big play that isn't there. That puts too much burden on the rest of the team to cover the loss, and contributes to mistakes from other players like QBs throwing INTs because they have to go further downfield to pick up a first down.

Edited by Bronco Billy

You never saw Emmitt give up ground in an effort to gain more yardage. He was always moving forward. Sanders gave up plenty of ground in an effort to make the big play, and he made it work enough to make it worthwhile as well as extremely exciting. But his antics also killed more than a few drives when it didn't work and DET was forced into 2nd/3rd & very longs.

Sometimes it's better to take a 2 yd gain and come back the next down instead of giving up 5 yds trying to gain 15.

Yeah, Barry trying to make something happen on 3rd and 10 after two Scott Mitchell incompletions was definitely a fatal flaw. Barry simply refused to run through the gaping holes in front of him! Once they got a downhill runner like James Stewart in there, the Lions' offense REALLY took off. :wacko:

Peace

policy

Look, Barry was a great RB. You can't question his talent. But I'll readily admit a bias for a RB who is always leaning forward to one who gives up ground in an effort to gain ground (with the possible exception of Payton, who would give up ground occasionally but never seemed to get tackled in the backfield).

When there are two defenders in the backfield before you get handed the ball, leaning forward for a two-yard loss gets you nowhere. When you are four yards downfield, get touched by a defender for the first time and you lean forward, apparently you're the greatest running back of all time.

When you compare Sanders & Smith, you are comparing RBs with vastly different runing styles, and so it becomes very difficult to assess which one is better in a manner that supports one overwhelmingly over the other, other than a personal bias.

Emmitt needed FIVE HUNDRED MORE CARRIES behind the greatest offensive line ever assembled to equal Barry's career yardage total. Objective argument over.

I like Smith's style better. I think it helps an O more to have a RB constantly moving forward and creating better situations in the following down with every run. It contributes to consistancy in the overall offensive scheme, and it grinds down Ds.

Bit hard to 'grind down Ds' when Wayne Fontes gives you 14 carries a game but lets Rodney Peete throw 40 lame ducks.

Others like the scatter-shot any-given-play-can-go-for-a-TD type of exciting runner more, I'd guess mostly because of the occasional eye-popping run that he produces. But I hate it when a RB gets tackled for a loss while searching for big play that isn't there. That puts too much burden on the rest of the team to cover the loss, and contributes to mistakes from other players like QBs throwing INTs because they have to go further downfield to pick up a first down.

I'll take a punishing big back any day of the week--I've paid through the nose to get and keep SJAX in my local for the past two years--but Emmitt wasn't punishing. He was a well-rounded back who made up for what he lacked in talent with heart and desire. I think Emmitt is on par with (and comparable to) Marcus Allen and Curtis Martin--no shabby company, that! But Barry was worlds better than Emmitt in every measureable way, except for team successes and media honors.

Peace

policy

When there are two defenders in the backfield before you get handed the ball, leaning forward for a two-yard loss gets you nowhere. When you are four yards downfield, get touched by a defender for the first time and you lean forward, apparently you're the greatest running back of all time.

Emmitt needed FIVE HUNDRED MORE CARRIES behind the greatest offensive line ever assembled to equal Barry's career yardage total. Objective argument over.

Bit hard to 'grind down Ds' when Wayne Fontes gives you 14 carries a game but lets Rodney Peete throw 40 lame ducks.

I'll take a punishing big back any day of the week--I've paid through the nose to get and keep SJAX in my local for the past two years--but Emmitt wasn't punishing. He was a well-rounded back who made up for what he lacked in talent with heart and desire. I think Emmitt is on par with (and comparable to) Marcus Allen and Curtis Martin--no shabby company, that! But Barry was worlds better than Emmitt in every measureable way, except for team successes and media honors.

Peace

policy

:wacko:

+1

Not sure why everyone is so passionate about whom is named the 3rd/4th/5th best RBs in the NFL anyhow. If you want to get into a pissing contest, you ought to be debating who the best is: Payton or Brown?

and you are saying Barry shouldn't be mentioned?

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

Barry would own the record if he stayed playing, and Emmitt never would have caught him. Switch teams, and Emmitt did what?? Barry on any team would have been scary. Not to mention the few extra years, not just carries that it took Emmitt. No Comparison.

and you are saying Barry shouldn't be mentioned?

That's correct. He doesn't fit into the top 2. There's no way he's comparable to either Brown or Payton. He's certainly in the argument for the best of the next tier after those 2.

Barry would own the record if he stayed playing, and Emmitt never would have caught him. Switch teams, and Emmitt did what??

937 yards and 9 tds his last year with the Cards..Thats about 400 yards better than the next highest rusher in the history of the Cardinals

Not sure why everyone is so passionate about whom is named the 3rd/4th/5th best RBs in the NFL anyhow. If you want to get into a pissing contest, you ought to be debating who the best is: Payton or Brown?

We did the official RB all-time rankings here at TheHuddle a few years back, maybe Big John could find it.

That's because Emmitt wasn't in Barry's league.

But he was a few years after Barry quit. :wacko:

We did the official RB all-time rankings here at TheHuddle a few years back, maybe Big John could find it.

But he was a few years after Barry quit. :wacko:

That just means there are too many Cowboys fans in here.

"Here's what I see," Jim Brown says. "Emmitt is a great player in a great system, a system that suits him perfectly. He is a hell of a warrior, and he fits into the Dallas scheme better than anybody.” "I don't think Barry's ever been used properly, but that's a different story. If I had my pick of anybody in the league, and I was picking in terms of talent -- maybe not even winning and losing games, but just pure talent -- I'd take Barry. He's the most talented running back in the NFL."

Link

Gale Sayers, who played for the Chicago Bears and who is consider by some to be the best running back of all time was asked to compare Sanders with Smith. "I wish Barry had a better line to run behind. I'd like to see what would happen then. Many times when you see him, he's making moves behind the line of scrimmage, trying to get away. A lot of times Emmitt isn't touched until he's five yards past the line. When Barry's five yards into the secondary, he's gone. People talk about whether Barry can gain 2,000 yards in a season. Well, if he had Dallas' line, we'd be asking how many years he'd be gaining 2,000 yards. Look at his stats now: He's gaining 1,500 or 1,600 yards anyway. I think Emmitt is a good second-effort runner, a strong runner, but I go with Barry."

Edited by Puddy

He had a lot of gas left in the tank when he retired. Imagine if Detroit and Miami could've worked out a deal and he was in the backfield with Dan Marino?!

I was so pissed at the Dolphins for not even trying to work a deal. I so hate the Dolphins after Joe Robbie died and Don Shula "retired". What a disgrace they became.

A similar event happened with Jim Brown when they wouldn't give him time to do movies. 2 of the very best retiring before their time. :wacko:

I'd beg to differ, and I'm hardly a Cowthug fan.

You never saw Emmitt give up ground in an effort to gain more yardage. He was always moving forward. Sanders gave up plenty of ground in an effort to make the big play, and he made it work enough to make it worthwhile as well as extremely exciting. But his antics also killed more than a few drives when it didn't work and DET was forced into 2nd/3rd & very longs.

Sometimes it's better to take a 2 yd gain and come back the next down instead of giving up 5 yds trying to gain 15.

You never saw Emmitt have to give up ground to gain more yardage 'cause he was at least a few yards across the line of scrimmage before he saw anyone. Was the fact that Sanders got dropped for losses the fault of his style or the fact that he often had to make his first move 3 yards behind the line.