[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rising Fuel Prices

Savage Beatings

NOT A POLITICAL THREAD. JUST DAILY LIVING AND ECONOMICS. HEH HEH HEH. :wacko:

So the price of a gallon of gas is going up. It's literally ruining the livlihood of many people, seriously hurting others, and at least annoying everyone.

1) What do you believe is the chief reason for the spike in pricing over the last year or two?

2) What do you believe is the best way for us to act in order to bring down the price of fuel (if that is possible)?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the price of a gallon of gas is going up. It's literally ruining the livlihood of many people, seriously hurting others, and at least annoying everyone.

1) What do you believe is the chief reason for the spike in pricing over the last year or two?

2) What do you believe is the best way for us to act in order to bring down the price of fuel (if that is possible)?

Walk?

I'm gonna guess that the chief reason is the weakness of the U.S. dollar. And the weak dollar is a direct result of us spending $$$ we don't have - i.e. printing money.

Oil is hitting all-time highs versus the US dollar, but is it also at all time highs versus other currencies?

1) Multiple factors. Rising demand (China and India), instability in the Middle East (fear), artificial supply tampering (OPEC), and speculators in futures markets making a killing.

2) Probably not possible. We need to somehow develop a better Middle East foreign policy to set peoples minds at ease (not an easy thing at all). We need to explore oil options here at home not as a fix for prices but for national security longer term interests. We need heavy investment in alternative energy research. We need some conservation from those that can and in ways that are economically feasible. Don't trade in the SUV and lay out a ton of cash on a Prius. Rather telecommute if you can one or two days a week if possible for example. Longer term we need more fuel efficient vehicles. We need Detroit to lead again.

I'm gonna guess that the chief reason is the weakness of the U.S. dollar. And the weak dollar is a direct result of us spending $$$ we don't have - i.e. printing money.

Oil is hitting all-time highs versus the US dollar, but is it also at all time highs versus other currencies?

Yeah, forgot that one. Big big influence.

Price drops are all but impossible, unless global demand settles down. That is unlikely to happen, however, if countries like China continue to subsidize gas prices for their citizens.

Expensive gas is here to stay. The only solution is to adapt our lifestyles in order to use less of it. In the short term there isn't much you can do, except drive less.

Price drops are all but impossible, unless global demand settles down. That is unlikely to happen, however, if countries like China continue to subsidize gas prices for their citizens.

Expensive gas is here to stay. The only solution is to adapt our lifestyles in order to use less of it. In the short term there isn't much you can do, except drive less.

What about businesses that are bulit upon transportation. Taxis, Freight Haulers, Garbage Trucks, etc.? Is their only alternative to pass along their additional costs to the consumers? Many smaller companies will get squeezed out if they try to do that. It just sucks.

What about businesses that are bulit upon transportation. Taxis, Freight Haulers, Garbage Trucks, etc.? Is their only alternative to pass along their additional costs to the consumers? Many smaller companies will get squeezed out if they try to do that. It just sucks.

Many municipal vehicles (buses, trucks, etc) run on natural gas. Its a cheaper, cleaner burning alternative fuel, and one we've got a lot of domestically. I'm not saying its a panacea, but it illustrates the point that NOT using gasoline is a viable option that people/business should be exploring. Sitting around and waiting for gas to be cheap again is a suckers move.

There honestly isn't much to do about the short-term pain. The country (government, citizens, and businesses) need take a long-term approach to this issue. Nobody likes to hear that, but its the only honest answer there is to give. Do you think China is going to stop growing anytime soon? India? Do we really believe more oil is going to magically appear underneath the earth's crust? There are certain factors that could certainly help out, like stability in the middle east. But even if the US halts the war in Iraq and was magically gone tomorrow that place is going to be a mess for a long time; it always has been. We've benefited from low-cost gas for decades, relative to other developed countries. Those days are over. We can sit around and lament about those days, like a Detroit auto worker wondering where the hell his job went. Or we can rise to the challenge and reinvent how we consume and produce energy. It just might take a couple decades.

Edited by yo mama

How can you say that with a straight face?

I'll buy you and your ol' lady a steak dinner (two drink maximum) if regular 87 octane stays under $3 a gallon (California prices) for 30 consecutive days at any time in the future, assuming regular market forces determine that price (i.e., no gas tax holidays, government subsidies, etc).

If I'm right, well, that will be its own reward.

Edited by yo mama

1) Weak dollar. Increased demand. Speculators.

2) Improve the value of the dollar. Decrease demand by using this time to develop alternative fuel solutions. Vote democrat.

I am one leftist who is a big fan of drilling domestically.

Whatever damage we might cause the enviroment - we could make up for by starving the islamofacists whose wallets we are making fat.

That would save money on the war or at least help shorten it. Domestic drilling would created jobs and the lower prices would help the economy.

We should keep on researching on all fronts while this is going on - including bettering existing technologies like coal.

Up here tourism is way down. I mean way down. Speculators and the falling dollar are a large part of this problem in my opinion. There really isn't a shortage of supply in my opinion.

I too drive 55 and get about 35 MPH in my small truck.

My personal contribution to the high cost of gas is to drive 55 mph on the interstate highways of our great nation. if I remember correctly at one time that was the law. Why not again.

I too drive 55 and get about 35 MPH in my small truck.

I'm as green as they come, but lets not get crazy here. I'll pay 10K to convert my car to electric as long as I can still drive 90.

Wow.

Its easy.

Bush is an idiot. He's from Texas. His dad is the man with power. Figure it out.

Besides that...those little bumbs outside of Targets and Walmarts really piss me off. I feel like my dentures are gonna vibrate out my teeth.

Wow.

Its easy.

Bush is an idiot. He's from Texas. His dad is the man with power. Figure it out.

Besides that...those little bumbs outside of Targets and Walmarts really piss me off. I feel like my dentures are gonna vibrate out my teeth.

You mean bumps? We don't have them or one way streets up here, but I hate them too.