[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

UEFA Cup '08

godtomsatan

In addition to making me want a Turkey & Swiss sandwich for the last two hours, Switzerland and Turkey just played an extremely dramatic match that was near heartbreaking in how it finished and a reminder of how missed opportunities can be so devastating in a soccer match.

Edited by godtomsatan

I think you mean Euro 2008.

But, yes, the Swiss-Turkey match-up was a very good game (as well as being a tasty sandwich). I watched it with my inlaws in Switzerland and it was fairly heartbreaking at the end (how the Swiss blew a 3-1 break with 5 minutes left still baffles me--although they were playing without their star player Alexander Frei who tore out his knee in the previous game against the Czeck Republic).

croatia looked pretty inspired...... germany, flat.

I just got home from watching that game with my German colleagues--they were not happy (and one of my best friends over here literally looked sick to his stomache). It was then funny watching them root for Austria in the second game (something they would NEVER do under normal circumstances--but they needed for Poland to not win to make it so that a German win against Austria on Monday means that Germany advances). When Austria blew about five incredible scoring chances the entire biergarten was beside itself. Unfortunately, I had to come home before Austria scored the equalizer in injury time.

I couldn't believe Austria was scoreless after the incredible firepower they demonstrated in the first 30 minutes. The Polish keeper was incredible, and made a zero goal game quite fascinating to watch. Until of course, the Pollock named Guerrero puts one in the net to change the game around.

What's the UEFA Cup? The secondary club tournament, right?

That's precisely correct. It's for clubs that win their domestic cup (not league) competitions and also do well in their domestic league (but not well enough to enter the Champions League).

can Italy get a break ??

first game vs holland ( which they did deserve to lose ) first goal was offside / today they overturn a goal from Toni and he was nowhere near offside ...then terrible PK call against them but Buffon made a huge save

terrible officiating

I do agree though that Dutch looks super

The Dutch look sick.

I went to a Dutch bar in downtown Amsterdam Friday night and watched them crush France 4-1. You want to talk about high energy in a bar. WOW!! There is NOTHING like this in the U.S. The whole bar was a sea of orange and they were all singing and it was an all around blast. Even our Superbowl, you basically have fans of two teams rooting. In this thing, you have every person in every bar in every city all cheering for the same team. It was a great time (oh and I was draped in my orange T-shirt to blend in).

I'm no soccer officianado but Holland has looked great so far. Tomorrow's night game is meaningless and I wish I was going to be here for their quarterfinal game on Saturday.

I went to a Dutch bar in downtown Amsterdam Friday night and watched them crush France 4-1. You want to talk about high energy in a bar. WOW!! There is NOTHING like this in the U.S. The whole bar was a sea of orange and they were all singing and it was an all around blast. Even our Superbowl, you basically have fans of two teams rooting. In this thing, you have every person in every bar in every city all cheering for the same team. It was a great time (oh and I was draped in my orange T-shirt to blend in).

I'm no soccer officianado but Holland has looked great so far. Tomorrow's night game is meaningless and I wish I was going to be here for their quarterfinal game on Saturday.

And that is the beauty (one of them anyway) of soccer - international competition. We don't have a parallel here. It's like war without the violence (well, not that much).

I was out at a German bier-garten on Thursday to watch the Germany-Croatia game and that was fun too--although the crowd was more subdued since Germany lost 2-1.

It's a crazy fun experience, no doubt about it.

turkey-croatia: what an incredible game this is. no goals for 119 minutes, then croatia scores with 1 minute left in extra play, and two minutes later turkey scores in stoppage time. going to penalty kicks!

turkey may not win this, but it has been involved in two of the best soccer games i've ever seen in this tournament.

Heck of a game today between Germany and Turkey. Too bad the tv feed kept dropping out because of a bad storm in Austria. I guess they'll re-air it a couple of times though.

Just got done watching the replay (with no dropouts) on ESPN Classic. Great game.

Several other replays including Saturday at noon on ESPN.

Edited by KevinL