[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Identity Theft

Skilly

Yep. I just got hit this week. :D:wacko:

Seems someone got ahold of the information for my bank checkcard (a Visa) and has used it this week to draw money somehow from ATMs. Took my checking down to 0.00 in two days this week.

I have done the following so far:

1. Went to the bank and had the card terminated, and got a printout of all the fraudulent charges. Then they faxed down the fraud form to their security department, and I'm waiting for a call from them.

2. Put a fraud alert on my info for the three credit bureaus, Equifax, Transunion, and Experian. I looked at my report and so far no new accounts have been opened up.

3. Filed a police report.

4. Adjusted all my online bills to remove that particular card number.

When I talked to the lady at the bank, she told me that I am not the first one this week that this has happened to, and that a common thread between these charges seems to be using the card at a McDonalds. I didn't even use the ATM: this was swiping the card at their counter machine. The charges then appeared on my account as coming from Canada, and possibly somewhere in Europe. And they were strange amounts, such as an ATM withdrawl for $195.26. How do you get .26 from an ATM???

What else should I be doing now? Has this happened to anyone here, or anyone you know? And yes, my card has been in my possesion all the time....I am very particular about my wallet and my keys.

And they were strange amounts, such as an ATM withdrawl for $195.26. How do you get .26 from an ATM???

Foreign currency exhange, that's how. Maybe $200 Canadian = $195.26 US

you knew that food was going to be bad for you ...

:D No doubt.

And yes, it must be a foreign exchange currency rate. That makes sense.

The gal at the bank asked me last night if I have been to Canada. I said yes: in 1989.

:wacko: Hmmmm....seems to me we had some sort of Canadian elk problems going on a few years back. I wonder if it's connected somehow?

Yep. I just got hit this week. :D:wacko:

Seems someone got ahold of the information for my bank checkcard (a Visa) and has used it this week to draw money somehow from ATMs. Took my checking down to 0.00 in two days this week.

I have done the following so far:

1. Went to the bank and had the card terminated, and got a printout of all the fraudulent charges. Then they faxed down the fraud form to their security department, and I'm waiting for a call from them.

2. Put a fraud alert on my info for the three credit bureaus, Equifax, Transunion, and Experian. I looked at my report and so far no new accounts have been opened up.

3. Filed a police report.

4. Adjusted all my online bills to remove that particular card number.

When I talked to the lady at the bank, she told me that I am not the first one this week that this has happened to, and that a common thread between these charges seems to be using the card at a McDonalds. I didn't even use the ATM: this was swiping the card at their counter machine. The charges then appeared on my account as coming from Canada, and possibly somewhere in Europe. And they were strange amounts, such as an ATM withdrawl for $195.26. How do you get .26 from an ATM???

What else should I be doing now? Has this happened to anyone here, or anyone you know? And yes, my card has been in my possesion all the time....I am very particular about my wallet and my keys.

Sorry to hear this. I would take it a step further and freeze my credit. Not sure if it suits you but it is not too painful. I just froze mine recently with all 3 credit bureaus. If you are interested let me know and I will send you the links.