[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Help...

alexgaddis

I guess he didnt put too much :wacko:

In my old house the AC guy put too much freon in the system and it iced and causing water damage on my ceiling so I thought thats wha happened to you also.

Its cool Mr. Ted, you can be the Puddy of Home repairs...

1. You have a leak. An AC system is a closed system, meaning you do not "use up" freon. A system low on freon will ice up.

2. The leak could be an a number of places. Could be the outside unit or the indoor coil. The only way to know is to pay for a leak search. This will cost you in the neighborhood of $250 and MAY NOT find the leak.

3. How old is your system?

4. If your system is in the 15 year old range or older, it's time to replace the outdoor unit and indoor coil.

5. There is a refrigerant change coming in 2010. After Jan 1, 2010, all NEW EQUIPMENT will be manufactured with the new refrigerant. At this point you can still buy both. If you have a leak in your indoor coil, DO NOT JUST REPLACE THE COIL. You may be screwing yourself in 18 months if you outdoor unit would fail. You would then have to do the coil AGAIN, because the old and new refrigerants DO NOT MIX.

6. Cost to replace will depend on size of your house. If you want to post the model # off the outdoor unit I can give you a pretty good ballpark of what you will pay. The model number is usually found on a metal plate or sticker somewhere on the AC.

7. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING UNTIL YOU TALK TO ME FIRST. I sell these for a living, and I would be glad to talk to you either via pm or phone.

DOH! I knew that and should have recommended you to him. Chief is an excellent resource and will help you.

Update, we were low on freon, about 1 pound short...so they refilled it and said the leak was located in the A-coil located in the furnace...very expensive to repair and its not covered by the home service plan...

so it works for now but I am going to need to repair it or get a whole new damn system...

Update, we were low on freon, about 1 pound short...so they refilled it and said the leak was located in the A-coil located in the furnace...very expensive to repair and its not covered by the home service plan...

so it works for now but I am going to need to repair it or get a whole new damn system...

DO NOT JUST REPLACE THE COIL.

When you get a chance post your model number of your AC and I will give you some pricing/info.

7. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING UNTIL YOU TALK TO ME FIRST. I sell these for a living, and I would be glad to talk to you either via pm or phone.

I'm going to be replacing at least one unit, possibly two (the second one will probably last another year or two, and adding a third. I know the higher SEER rating the more energy efficient the unit. That being said, usually the higher the SEER number the higher the cost. I'm looking at some 18 SEER units right now. I plan on living in my house for about 10 more years or so. My question is based on the cost of the units, and the energy consumption over a ten year period of time, which SEER rating makes more sense?

I'm going to be replacing at least one unit, possibly two (the second one will probably last another year or two, and adding a third. I know the higher SEER rating the more energy efficient the unit. That being said, usually the higher the SEER number the higher the cost. I'm looking at some 18 SEER units right now. I plan on living in my house for about 10 more years or so. My question is based on the cost of the units, and the energy consumption over a ten year period of time, which SEER rating makes more sense?

Are you replacing the furnaces as well?

:wacko:

Whats that gonna cost me???

I don't plan on living in this house much longer than we have to so I don't want to sink a bunch into a brand new AC unit...can I buy a slightly used one?

Adding a new AC will be a good selling point in a crappy market.

Also, you live in Minnesota. Just wait a short while and your house will be f'n freezing again.

Do you have a Heat Pump now? And is your house all electric or do you have a gas furnace? What are the ages of the whole system?

I'll be back later to give some good info.

I have two heat pumps now. All electric. With the exception of one air handler, all of the units are about 10 years old. The one air handler is 2 years old. The equipment has been run real hard, as i don't have enough tonnage for the house right now, and I will be adding on another 500 square feet or so. I can probably save one of the 10 year old 2 ton units and the newer air handler, knowing I'm going to be replacing the compressor in another couple of years if not before, when it konks out. Right now I have 6 tons which isn't enough prior to taking in some of the attic. I'm going to need a minimum of 8 tons, and would probably need 10 optimal.