[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calvin or Chad Johnson?

kiser17

I'm in a 2 keeper league where WRs are almost more important that RBs. (10 of our top 20 last year were WRs)

Starting lineup is WR heavy = 1RB, 3 WR/TE, 1 Flex (WR/RB), 1 QB, 1D, 1K

I traded most of my team to get Addai last year, and I am left to choose between Chad and Calvin Johnson as my 2nd keeper. This league is based in Detroit, so if Calvin does go off, he will have lots of additional trade value. Do you go with the guy with super high potential, or do you go with the mouth?

I have Chad Johnson ranked in the top 10 of WR's, and Calvin Johnson ranked about 20th. I'm not impressed at all with Kitna, although Palmer showed us last year that he could play a pretty awful game as well. But I still like Cincy much better than the Lions. Chad is the safer pick.

There is no way you even consider Calvin. He has shown nothing except how to get hurt.

Chad has at least 3-4 years left at a high level.

Will Calvin ever catch 90 balls? Doubtful. Chad does it every year with high yardage.

+1

There is no way you even consider Calvin. He has shown nothing except how to get hurt.

Will Calvin ever catch 90 balls? Doubtful. Chad does it every year with high yardage.

Well, I've had Chad for 3-4 years, and he is very inconsistent. He has some very big games, but more often average games. He always does poor in week 14 (week 1 of playoffs) and I get eliminated in round 1.

Calvin is all potential right now, but so was Braylon last year with what looked like a MUCH worse QB situation. I tend to put more stock in potential some times.

Thanks for the input!

Perfectly stated.

Well, I've had Chad for 3-4 years, and he is very inconsistent. He has some very big games, but more often average games. He always does poor in week 14 (week 1 of playoffs) and I get eliminated in round 1.

Calvin is all potential right now, but so was Braylon last year with what looked like a MUCH worse QB situation. I tend to put more stock in potential some times.

Thanks for the input!

Chad has had one inconsistent year, which was last year... That being said, I'd take that every year... He still put up 90-1300+ yards. You getting eliminated from your playoffs in the first week has to do with more than just one guy on your roster. He didn't help, but so did a few others, I'm sure.

As far as comparing Calvin Johnson and Braylon Edwards, tap the breaks immediately. Braylon Edwards was and still is twice the player that Calvin Johnson is. Calvin was shut down at the NCAA level, which people seem to forget. Yes, he has the potential to be great, but Edwards was a monster at Michigan and is a monster at this level. I think comparing him to Edwards will only leave you disappointed.

Chad has had one inconsistent year, which was last year... That being said, I'd take that every year... He still put up 90-1300+ yards. You getting eliminated from your playoffs in the first week has to do with more than just one guy on your roster. He didn't help, but so did a few others, I'm sure.

As far as comparing Calvin Johnson and Braylon Edwards, tap the breaks immediately. Braylon Edwards was and still is twice the player that Calvin Johnson is. Calvin was shut down at the NCAA level, which people seem to forget. Yes, he has the potential to be great, but Edwards was a monster at Michigan and is a monster at this level. I think comparing him to Edwards will only leave you disappointed.

I'm a Michigan grad, so I also a big Braylon fan (trying to trade for him as we talk). Calvin was shut down in college more as a product of Reggie Ball, IMO. I think they both have freakish WR talents, and I think it's only a matter of time before Calvin's are realized. I do agree that the Lions situation is not a good thing...

Not even close - Stinko has to be your guy

Another consideration at the qb position, chances are Kitna has 1 year left or he gets the hook at some point this season for Stanton. Do you really want to weather the learning curve of what could be rough times ahead with Stanton driving the ship? I tend to think Calvin is one of those guys who is going to start flying under some peoples radars. If Kitna stinks this season and Stanton comes in and struggles Calvin becomes a perfect buy low canidate.

Keep the Ocho. Being you are keeping him, I am sure you are well aware that Chad disappears for 3 weeks at a shot, but then surfaces with a 20+ point game to remind you why you spent a high draft pick on him. With all the turmoil he caused this offseason, he is going to come back and play like he owes child support. Just make sure to grab another high end WR right away to make up for the three weeks in a row Chad posts 2 catches for 32 yards and no TD's.

Wow, thanks to all for your input. It seems overwhelming majority is in the Ocho camp. So I'll start with Addai & Calvin. Now who should I pick #1 overall?

Projected available guys:

Andre Johnson or Fitzgerald (owner has to drop one of these two)

Colston

Steve Smith

TJ Housh

C Portis

R Bush

Other potential option would be to trade down to #5 overall and swap my 2nd pick for Romo. Then I could still pick one of the above at #5.

Wow, thanks to all for your input. It seems overwhelming majority is in the Ocho camp. So I'll start with Addai & Calvin. Now who should I pick #1 overall?

Projected available guys:

Andre Johnson or Fitzgerald (owner has to drop one of these two)

Colston

Steve Smith

TJ Housh

C Portis

R Bush

Other potential option would be to trade down to #5 overall and swap my 2nd pick for Romo. Then I could still pick one of the above at #5.

Going against my own advice (grabbing another WR to make up for CJ's inconsistencies), I would grab Portis. He is a top notch RB. This is essentially the third round, and you are getting a first round RB at that point. Having a Portis/Addai combination could cause havoc for your opponents. Just make sure to grab the best WR on the board next round :wacko:

Not even close - Stinko has to be your guy

Another consideration at the qb position, chances are Kitna has 1 year left or he gets the hook at some point this season for Stanton. Do you really want to weather the learning curve of what could be rough times ahead with Stanton driving the ship? I tend to think Calvin is one of those guys who is going to start flying under some peoples radars. If Kitna stinks this season and Stanton comes in and struggles Calvin becomes a perfect buy low canidate.

Most rankings I've seen have Calvin in the top 20 WRs. Many ABOVE Roy, which I think is laughable. And some have him in the 20's. I don't think I've seen him below that. I don't think he's under the radar at all. I think he's being overrated. Ah the offseason....

• 1 month later...

Just out of curiosity, I did a little research on WR consistency, using my local league's scoring system & last season's stats. Scoring = 0.5 PPR, 6 pts TD, .075 points per yard. Fantasy points scored by game for Ocho Cinco:

JOHNSON, CHAD CIN   16  33  15  5  --  10  10  6  5  7  10  32  10  6  9  7  25

Some other notables, in no particular order, just as a point of comparison:

FITZGERALD, LARRY ARI   3  10  9  15  21  10  10  --  9  22  17  28  --  15  9  8  30 WELKER, WESLEY NE   14  11  8  5  3  27  27  17  11  --  10  18  3  16  4  6  15 HOLT, TORRY STL   15  14  7  6  15  4  10  17  --  13  14  7  19  11  9  5  10 JOHNSON, CALVIN DET   13  13  5  --  1  --  12  5  5  4  11  16  2  6  10  5  6  ENGRAM, BOBBY SEA   6  8  13  12  3  14  8  --  23  6  10  9  13  12  11  8  13

FWIW.

Edited by ts

Going against my own advice (grabbing another WR to make up for CJ's inconsistencies), I would grab Portis. He is a top notch RB. This is essentially the third round, and you are getting a first round RB at that point. Having a Portis/Addai combination could cause havoc for your opponents. Just make sure to grab the best WR on the board next round :wacko:

I agree that picking Portis at #1 is the best move.

Thanks for the input!

I had Chad for the last 3 years, and I totally agree with you. And as you can see, I actually did something about it.

We will be talking about Calvin alot this year.

Just out of curiosity, I did a little research on WR consistency, using my local league's scoring system & last season's stats. Scoring = 0.5 PPR, 6 pts TD, .075 points per yard. Fantasy points scored by game for Ocho Cinco:

JOHNSON, CHAD CIN   16  33  15  5  --  10  10  6  5  7  10  32  10  6  9  7  25

Some other notables, in no particular order, just as a point of comparison:

FITZGERALD, LARRY ARI   3  10  9  15  21  10  10  --  9  22  17  28  --  15  9  8  30 WELKER, WESLEY NE   14  11  8  5  3  27  27  17  11  --  10  18  3  16  4  6  15 HOLT, TORRY STL   15  14  7  6  15  4  10  17  --  13  14  7  19  11  9  5  10 JOHNSON, CALVIN DET   13  13  5  --  1  --  12  5  5  4  11  16  2  6  10  5  6  ENGRAM, BOBBY SEA   6  8  13  12  3  14  8  --  23  6  10  9  13  12  11  8  13

FWIW.

I did a similar analysis, and looked at % games >10, >15, and >20. Chad was not aweful, but not nearly as high as the other top scoring WRs. Calvin's numbers were terrible, but I also looked at the year 2 WRs from last year (Colston, Holmes, Jennings, Marshall) and extrapolated their improvements from year 1 to 2 to Calvin's stats. I think I came up with a projection for something like 70/1100/9. I think that is a very reasonable expectation for Calvin...though I am a Calvin slappy so I think he will do even better...

I had Chad for the last 3 years, and I totally agree with you. And as you can see, I actually did something about it.

We will be talking about Calvin alot this year.

I just cannot get over a 6'5" 239lb WR running a 4.35 40. This guy is not only super skilled, but his measurables are out of this world. If Kitna and the Lions can be solid, Calvin is going to dominate.

I am actually a little down on all Browns this year. I think everyone of their skilled guys will take a dip in their numbers this year. I love Braylon, but I don't see 16 TDs this year against the tougher schedule.