[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mortgage question

muck

I'm considering a refi.

The mortgage broker I use is telling me that rates are ____% for the type of loan I'm looking for...whereas, Citimortgage (a division of Citibank) is quoting me a rate of ____% - 1.5%.

The questions is ... why is Citi that much less? Is it simply because they're able to offer something to existing mortgagees that no other bank is willing to offer in this current credit environment? If so, is this sort of behavior consistent with what other banks are doing with their existing mortgagees and their efforts to refinance?

TIA.

What I have been told it is watch fees and the other fine print in the lesser interest rate. The other thing is that Citi-Bank is about to go under, I know they are in trouble.

I'm considering a refi.

The mortgage broker I use is telling me that rates are ____% for the type of loan I'm looking for...whereas, Citimortgage (a division of Citibank) is quoting me a rate of ____% - 1.5%.

The questions is ... why is Citi that much less? Is it simply because they're able to offer something to existing mortgagees that no other bank is willing to offer in this current credit environment? If so, is this sort of behavior consistent with what other banks are doing with their existing mortgagees and their efforts to refinance?

TIA.

extremely, extremely unlikely

If this is a conforming loan amount (<$417k) there's no way. If it's between $417k and what the conforming jumbo (stimulus package) limit is in your area, there's a possibility. If it's over all that, there's also a possibility, because non-agency loans (fannie and freddie) can vary greatly right now, but at the end of the day the market is the same to sell these loans for everyone.

What I have been told it is watch fees and the other fine print in the lesser interest rate. The other thing is that Citi-Bank is about to go under, I know they are in trouble.

CitiBank is about to go under? I would need to see something to confirm that.

The questions is ... why is Citi that much less?

Probably because you have a good amount of equity. They are buying your rate down and feel you are rate conscious, that being the angle of the sale. Your broker has access to anything Citi has. I would stay with your buddy.

We all get our money from the same place.

Looks like I'll be:

1) Getting a new appraisal (from a Citibank approved appraiser).

2) Sending in a check of some amount.

3) Re-amortizing the existing loan and getting rid of PMI.

Cutting PMI = good thing

Having to write a check to do so = not a good thing

Getting an appraisal above the purchase price = good thing (because it makes the check I need to write that much smaller)

Reamortizing the loan = good thing (smaller required monthly payment = a small amount of additional flexibility with the business, etc)

Cutting PMI = good thing

Getting an appraisal above the purchase price = good thing (because it makes the check I need to write that much smaller)

Reamortizing the loan = good thing (smaller required monthly payment = a small amount of additional flexibility with the business, etc)

Are you actually refinacing the loan?

Cutting PMI = good thing

Unless you've been in your house more than 5 years I wouldn't count on that.

Unless you've been in your house more than 5 years I wouldn't count on that.

Unless you know anything about (i) what I paid for my house a year ago, (ii) how much we've done to the place or (iii) the price of the new construction right around me, you should shut yer yap.

Are you actually refinacing the loan?

No.

New appraisal (hopefully, up a fair bit due to the work we've done to the place, the good price we got a year ago and the high-dollar new construction around us) + cash payment ($$ amount depends on the appraisal) = no PMI, lower principal balance and a chance for a one-time reamortization.

No.

New appraisal (hopefully, up a fair bit due to the work we've done to the place, the good price we got a year ago and the high-dollar new construction around us) + cash payment ($$ amount depends on the appraisal) = no PMI, lower principal balance and a chance for a one-time reamortization.

You have done your homework. Smart move.

Unless you know anything about (i) what I paid for my house a year ago, (ii) how much we've done to the place or (iii) the price of the new construction right around me, you should shut yer yap.

(i) You didn't give those examples initially

(ii) AC was just trying to tell help

(iii) IMO, your response to AC was uncalled for :wacko:

Dunnow any of that but do know from recent experience that appraisers (especially ones hired by banks) are in general assuming about 20% lower value than a year ago for just about every property in the Atlanta area. Fair or not that's what I've seen.

Having done upgrades will help. New construction won't matter. The only thing that will is recent SALES of comperable homes in your area. In other words, if people near you are still getting "deals" you may be in trouble. However, if recent sales in your area for comperable homes are higher than what you paid you'll have a better shot at a good appraisal.

I just wanted you to be prepared in advance for the real possibility of paying for an appraisal that doesn't end up helping your deal at all.

ETA - the cash payment portion will help too but won't really affect the appraisal.

Edited by Atlanta Cracker

(i) You didn't give those examples initially

(ii) AC was just trying to tell help

(iii) IMO, your response to AC was uncalled for :wacko:

I'm in a grumpy mood.

You can kiss my ass, too. :D