[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sound Off: New Orleans Saints passing game

j2v

Consider this Son of Fantasy University. Each day we’ll make a post regarding a fantasy-relevant player or situation; then, we’ll turn the mic over to you and hear what you have to say.

Today’s candidate: the New Orleans Saints passing game

Two years ago the Saints led the NFL in passing yards, and last season they ranked third. Between the two campaigns there was an average of 275 yards per game to be divvied up amongst the receiving corps—numbers that helped establish Drew Brees among the elite fantasy quarterbacks.

This season that corps added tight end Jeremy Shockey, reuniting him with his former offensive coordinator, Sean Payton; it’s worth noting that Saints tight ends caught 75 balls last season. Robert Meachem, the team’s first-round pick in 2007 whose rookie campaign was derailed by injury, looked great during minicamp and will challenge veteran David Patten for the No. 2 receiver gig.

Meanwhile Marques Colston already has 2,240 yards and 19 touchdowns on his resume and enters that magical, mystical third season for wide receivers while Reggie Bush is establishing himself as one of the league’s top pass-catching backs.

Have the Saints maxed out the production of this passing game? Does the addition of Shockey stretch the field and open things up for both Colston and Bush? Where do you see the New Orleans passing game heading in 2008?

It will once again be one of the top passing teams in the league, but this reminds me a little bit of the speculation last year when the Patriots acquired Moss. The debate was, will Moss get enough looks to make him a valuable FF player given how Brady likes to use multiple receivers. Well, obviously that worked out great for Brady and Moss.

I think a similar debate arises for New Orleans. Are there so many weapons that none of them will stand out as a FF stud? I think that like the Patriots last year, the Saints this year will have plenty to go around.

I would agree - this is going to continue to be one of the most producive passing attacks in the NFL, the only question is who will be catching the ball the most.

Colston is an obvious choice for lead receiver and now Shockey will be worked into the mix to some degree. But while in NY he was always one of only two or three targets used by Manning, Brees spreads the ball around much more so will he get as many passes?

The #2 spot is the most interesting to me since Patten holds it but Meacham will challenge for it.

It makes for an interesting breakdown to be sure. It could end up similar to what we saw from IND last year.

If Shockey's healthy, I see a drop in Colston's production.

If he's not healthy, I see a bump for Colston.

I'm not sure how much more slinging around NOR can do ... we may find out if none of their RBs end up being able to run between the tackles on a productive basis...

Ahh yes, the Saints. My call for Super Bowl is the Chargers over the Saints.

I think this season we will see the Saints become the highest scoring Offense for the 2008 - 2009 season.

Drew Brees - 4200 passing yards, 29 TDs, 13 Ints, 50 yards rushing 1 rushing Td

Shocky - 650 yards receiving 4 Tds

Marques Colston - 1300 yards receiving 13 Tds

Reggie Bush - 550 yard rushing 4 rushing TDs, 650 yards receiving, 5 receiving Tds = 1200 total yards, 9 tds

The thing nobody has mentioned yet is the defense. This is hugh when talking about the Saints.

The Saints have added depth and talent on the other side of the ball which will have an impact on the fantasy #'s for the offense. If If If. If Vilma is healthy and they have found an answer to the pass coverage problems of the past I see a significant decline in the passing game. This would be OK if we all knew what to do with the Saints running game. Deuce is really doing his best to come off of serious knee injuries but.... Reggie will probably never be a between the tackles RB. Pierre Thomas anyone?

Will the Saints still be passing in the 4th quarter with a 10 point lead if this def can show they are for real? Will this stable of RB's be able to close out a game with clock devouring drives in the 2nd half? Does Sean Payton have it in him to make smart play calls late in the game to secure a win?

I see people predicting the Saints in the Superbowl. I am not ready to join that group. I think we are still a piece away!

What I like about the Saints' passing game is that their cornerbacks are awful. McKenzie probably won't be healthy enough to be effective, and they have barely anybody behind him.

Other teams will be able to throw on the Saints whenever they want, which means Brees and Co. will have to chuck it about as much as last year.