[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

GB and public ownership, are there really stock certificates?

Scooby

I understand that GB is publicly owned, but are the owners the city? or season ticket holders? I am a little foggy on this ownership. Also, why would you want to be under the salary cap so much if the shares really aren't publily traded. I mean, having cash on the balance sheet makes the price of the stock go up, but why would you care if it goes up when you couldn't sell it anyway? Are they saving money for a new stadium or something? Or waiting for that big contract like a Randy Moss would have been? Please advise. Thanks.

Stocks were originally issued in the 1950's mostly to keep the team solvent, but this gave public ownership of the team. Unsold shares had since been split a couple times and the last stock sale was in 1997. The last one mainly for the renovation of Lambeau Field. The city inself does not own the team, but obviously have a very vested interest in them. Also, season-ticket holdership and stocks have no correlation as you can be one without the other and stock holders are not given priority on the waiting list for tickets. Shares themselves are for fan support and partial ownership of the team. Packer stock is not traded on the open market and is only available in the window of public offerings by the team, and value does not appreciate over time.

For the other question, stock was meant for team operations and not to help pay for salaries.

BTW, I do own a share of Packer stock.

How does it have any value?

The shares from the original sale did give voting rights; the '97 sale didn't.

But anyone holding a share does get to go to the shareholders meetings and such.

I also own GB stock. Many people who live or have lived in Wisconsin do.

The Packers are a publicly owed entity. They have to provide annual reports to shareholders, and that information is also made public on the web. It's a great source of information regarding salaries and such, as well as some insight as to the inner financial workings of an NFL team.

They hold shareholder meetings like any other publicly held entity, and like a lot of other corporations are run by a president and have a board.

The stock isn't publicly traded, and it has static value as per the operating bylaws of the company. Being a shareholder does entitle one to attend meetings but corporate decisions are made by the upper management. Being a shareholder amounts virtually to an honorary thing.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Owning shares really just has to be more of a novelty than anything...when a shareholder wants to sell, the shares are to be sold back to the team at a fraction of the original price. One is basically donating their $$$ to the team, in exchange for a piece of paper with a Packers logo on it...