[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

8-team league

i_am_the_swammi

Our 8-team league has been having numerous discussions about some items. Wanted some feedback from FF veterans.

1. Roster size -- how large should the rosters be to ensure there isn't a wealth of talent left on waivers?

2. Starting line-up requirements -- should they be larger than normal to make it more competitive? What would you require?

Anyone play in an 8-teamer? What do you guys have in place?

I won't post what we have in place right now...I want some unbiased feedback.

Wow. 8 team league. That's not much of a challenge without forcing owners to go deep with large starting requirements.

If you figure that the standard for FF is the 12 team league with 2 starting RBs and 3 starting WRs, you might want to consider forcing owners to start 3 RBs and 4 to 5 WRs at a minimum. You also might consider starting 2 QBs and 2 TEs. That might give your league some spice.

So let's say you're starting 2 QBs, 3 RBs, 5 WRs, and 2 TEs (and a freakin' K and a D). That's 14 starters, figure rosters at 22 to 24 players to really stoke the competitiveness.

Well, my local is 8 guys. We've been going for 12 years and most of the guys just aren't crazy serious about it. Over the years, there's been a total of about 12 different guys that have come and gone but, for whatever reason, there always seems to be about 8 who are into in a given year.

I actually find it rather pathetic what a big deal some around here make it. Obviously we're all here 'cause we're into it, but it's really not the end of the world to just have an excuse to talk smack with your friends.

I will say, that pretty much every year I try to expand the league for all the reasons that are often given, however, since -heaven forbid- I'm more interested in reconnecting with old friends who I now live on the other end of the country from, I'm not so concerned with finding a competitive challenge that I'm prepared to be a dick about it.

Now, having said that.

The one compromise I did get was to add a flex, so we start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, 1K, 1 D, 1 coach (5 pts for a win) and carry a total roster of 17. Again, if it was up to me, I'd push for larger rosters but then, everyone else knows that I'm already far more prepared than the rest of the league and this would only make it worse.

A small league is a great way to keep those who aren't prepared to geek out like us interested. You can still put together a pretty good team. Mind you, it's no coincidence that the few of us who put in the work are always near the top.

Oh, and Blitz, you're pathetic response to the OP is exactly why I have you on ignore.

Sometimes there is no alternative to an 8 team league. If that is the total amount of people available....then that is the total amount of people available. So if you want to play FF you have to go with what you can scrape up.

Was in an 8 team league for almost 20 years. It was a money league and limited rosters were the name of the game.... as on any given week you could win your years fees back.

We had 14 man solidified rosters:

2 QB

3 RB

3 WR

2 TE

2 PK

2 Def

Lineups were:

1 QB

1-3 RB

1-3 WR

1 TE

1 PK

1 Def

With a total of 8 in the lineup... (Example:1QB, 1RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1PK, 1Def)

You paid 5.00 for an add/drop and it had to be same position for same position.

Worked for me for almost 20 years...and still works though I am no longer in it.

Easy fellas, just one of a few leagues I am in...happens to be some long-time guys from college about 19 years ago, and has whittled from 12 down to 8....we didn't want to add anyone outside our college group, so it is what it is....mostly a way for a bunch of old friends to keep on keeping in touch.

Thanks for all the preconceived notions, though.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

So let's say you're starting 2 QBs, 3 RBs, 5 WRs, and 2 TEs (and a freakin' K and a D). That's 14 starters, figure rosters at 22 to 24 players to really stoke the competitiveness.

Pretty much dead-on to what I am proposing, except I proposed the WRs at 4.

Right now, with roster sizes at the limits they were a few years ago when we were at 12 teams, there is way too much talent on waivers.

FWIW, we like our little 8-team....8 good guys. Sometimes, larger leagues include larger arses...right Grits?

Didn't most of us start out in 8 team leagues? Why is everybody jumping down his throat because of the size of his league? Petty.

Personally, I don't do anything below 12 and that will change to 14 next year. Thats just me. But you don't see me chastising the guy for it.

Skylive has some pretty good parameters to follow for ya Swami.

Well, truth be told, you may as not even bother asking a question about an 8 team league with the way people carry on. Seriously, 4 of 5 responses will be nothing but some smug BS about how lame your league is. So, yes, it can get rather old. I've been around long enough that I obviously enjoy the banter as much as the next guy, but the 8 team league hang up is a bit tired.

the 8 team jokes never get old for me :wacko:

and to be honest, a few years ago I had to run an 8 team league as my local and posted about it in some form or fashion in the advice forum..and took the heat like a champ...it's what it is...

now when it comes down to free leagues....I'll break anyones balls about it and could care less....but the 8 team league sometimes has to happen when you don't garner enough interest, especially when you make the buy in $160 like I do....most people just aren't that serious...

Lot of hostilty against 8 team league.

Been in an 8 team auction league for 10 years. Never really wanted to expand it. I have been and am in 10-12 team leagues.

The nice thing about an 8 team league is that everyone gets good players, so the casual owners can have fun too. You still have to watch the waiver wires, make trades, do you homework and put together a good team. We have a low buy in and it is pretty much a league that we get togeher talk some smack drink some beer and talk football a few times during the season.

We have an 18 player roster with 8 starters. (no flex) We use a modified perfect huddle scoring system. The league still has 6 of the original 8 owners and we have had 6 different champions in the 10 years. The league is competitive.

I have never wanted to be in a league where I have to start a 3rd WR or 3rd down back because of byes or injuries. Just my choice. If you like that great but why bash someone elses league because it doesn't fit into your box?

Lot of hostilty against 8 team league.

Been in an 8 team auction league for 10 years. Never really wanted to expand it. I have been and am in 10-12 team leagues.

The nice thing about an 8 team league is that everyone gets good players, so the casual owners can have fun too. You still have to watch the waiver wires, make trades, do you homework and put together a good team. We have a low buy in and it is pretty much a league that we get togeher talk some smack drink some beer and talk football a few times during the season.

We have an 18 player roster with 8 starters. (no flex) We use a modified perfect huddle scoring system. The league still has 6 of the original 8 owners and we have had 6 different champions in the 10 years. The league is competitive.

I have never wanted to be in a league where I have to start a 3rd WR or 3rd down back because of byes or injuries. Just my choice. If you like that great but why bash someone elses league because it doesn't fit into your box?

there's a lot being made over a couple of negative posts...

this is The Huddle, correct? :wacko:

I have a question about my 8 team free league........... :D

I'm with Det and others on this. My local was 8 for a long time and will probably drop back down to 8. Its fun, its friends, we drink beer at the draft and talk smack.

But like BB said a larger starting line-up makes it more of a challenge and will satisfy Randall's demand that there be less players on the WW :wacko: (as far as that goes, we charge $5 per transaction that goes to the winnings, it adds up fast since so many marginal guys are added and dropped every week, $125 entry fee and each owner also spends about that much in FAs, so its not a bad thing)

We had 22 rosters spots, must carry 3 QBs and 2 K, 2 D and 2 TEs

Start

1 QB (would prefer 2, but we get points for completions)

2 RB

4 WR

1 TE

1 K

1 D

Could add a flex RB/WR

Edited by Zooty

It doesn't matter how many teams you have..........it's all relative anyway. Each team has to field the same number of players, and it just so happens that most of the players in an 8-team league will be starters, or very solid players. You still have to pick the best players for each matchup, and it can even be tougher. For instance, what if you had to choose between, say, Roy Williams or Chad Johnson?

I started playing in an 8-team league, and we used 2 qbs. All of us loved it, because if one of your qbs sucked it up badly, you could still pull out a win if your other qb got hot.

My point is, it's all relative.

I have a question about my 8 team free league........... :D

I'm with Det and others on this. My local was 8 for a long time and will probably drop back down to 8. Its fun, its friends, we drink beer at the draft and talk smack.

But like BB said a larger starting line-up makes it more of a challenge and will satisfy Randall's demand that there be less players on the WW :wacko: (as far as that goes, we charge $5 per transaction that goes to the winnings, it adds up fast since so many marginal guys are added and dropped every week, $125 entry fee and each owner also spends about that much in FAs, so its not a bad thing)

We had 22 rosters spots, must carry 3 QBs and 2 K, 2 D and 2 TEs

Start

1 QB (would prefer 2, but we get points for completions)

2 RB

4 WR

1 TE

1 K

1 D

Could add a flex RB/WR

my local is 10 or 12 teams and we hold our draft at a bar too....plus we get to still talk smack and have some drinks as well....:D

I play in an 8 team league with old college friends. It was 10 at first but 2 dropped and we just don't want to add new outsiders. We do 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 3RB/WR/TE, 1TE, 1K, 1DEF. 22 roster spots. We tossed around the idea of 2QBs, but it never caught on.

It is a nice change of pace to my other 16 team league.

Who should I start in my 8 team local...Brady or Manning?

One of my leagues really is an 8 team. It's not bad. I got invited in before I knew anything about FF. The guys will not add new teams. It's really just a bragging rights league ($50) and I have just as much fun with it as I do my 10 and 12 team leagues.

Whatever league size floats yer boat is fine by me. I've never been in an 8 team league so I can't help with any rules issues.

If I were in an 8 team league though, I would be wondering where to rank Favre. :wacko:

Edit: I'm just finishing up a draft that requires owners to draft a certain number of players at each position. I would think that is a good idea for an 8 team league.

Edited by Clubfoothead

Whatever league size floats yer boat is fine by me. I've never been in an 8 team league so I can't help with any rules issues.

If I were in an 8 team league though, I would be wondering where to rank Favre. :wacko:

Edit: I'm just finishing up a draft that requires owners to draft a certain number of players at each position. I would think that is a good idea for an 8 team league.

it depends on where Favre lands....

I like his value better on the Jets...I like the OL and talent more on the Jets than Tampa....

I was in an 8-teamer a few years ago. The starting lineups were 1 QB, 2 RB, 2WR, 1TE, K and D. It was slugfest all season with those stacked rosters. It was kind of fun to see the teams that stacked because it created a reverse parity with everyone being strong. There was not much thought or preparation for the draft and your average off the shelf cheat-sheet would get you far enough barring a late injury. Good starter league format but I would not want to go back to it.