[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any car detailers in the hizzy?

Furd

Now that's what I'm talking about Kid Cid.

The Menzerna polish is good? The guy that I learned from let me use his Machine Polish # 3 from Griot's Garage. I borrowed his Porter Cable 7424 (which I have since purchased) and used an orange pad. I wasn't really impressed with it.

I didn't have Z-5, which I should have used given the scratches on my paint. I used the Z-2 with ZFX. I use the Z-6 regularly and the Z-8 every 3 weeks or so, after washing.

A leaf blower would be great for me since my car has gills that hold water which is a real pain in the ass. I don't have a lawn, but I'm tempted to buy one anyway. :wacko:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that's what I'm talking about Kid Cid.

The Menzerna polish is good? The guy that I learned from let me use his Machine Polish # 3 from Griot's Garage. I borrowed his Porter Cable 7424 (which I have since purchased) and used an orange pad. I wasn't really impressed with it.

I didn't have Z-5, which I should have used given the scratches on my paint. I used the Z-2 with ZFX. I use the Z-6 regularly and the Z-8 every 3 weeks or so, after washing.

A leaf blower would be great for me since my car has gills that hold water which is a real pain in the ass. I don't have a lawn, but I'm tempted to buy one anyway. :wacko:

Get an electric one. I think there a 210 mph one (Toro?) at Sears that a lot of guys use. I have to use one or I'll never get the water out of my side mirrors. Go ahead and buy one, you'll never go back.

There used to be this guy around called the Detailing Dude who advocated using water to dry your car. Sounds wierd, but the sheeting action of water will actually help pull water droplets off the car if applied in a thin layer almost horizontal to the car surface. It still won't get water out of nooks and crannies though.

Check this place out as a reference point. http://www.autopia.com. There's a lot of good info there.

I swear by the Menzerna polish. I think it does a great job. I've used the Meguiars and the 3M stuff before and I think the Menzerna is better. I don't know about the Mazda paint and clear coat, but the clear coat from GM is super easy to scratch and fraking impossible to buff out. Don't be afraid to run the ROB up to 5.5 or even 6 when trying to buff out a particularly stubborn scratch. You still won't damage the paint with it.

The nice thing about the Zaino is that you can layer it without worrying about buildup. Get some Z5 and throw it right over the top of what you currently have, no worries. Sal says that you should always finish with Z2 though since it is more optically pure than the Z5.

I always use the Z8 to finish. It's expensive but worth it IMO. I'll use the Z6 as a quick detailer or a bottle wash if I'm going to a show.

Take it from me...the best way for a new neighbor to freak out the old retired nosy people living around you is to let them see you taking a leaf blower to you car the first time they see you wash it. It scares and confuses them more than normal. The good thing is no one messes with or complains about the crazy guy down the street. :wacko:

Take it from me...the best way for a new neighbor to freak out the old retired nosy people living around you is to let them see you taking a leaf blower to you car the first time they see you wash it. It scares and confuses them more than normal. The good thing is no one messes with or complains about the crazy guy down the street. :wacko:

My neighbors look at me kinda funny when they see me haul out my gear. The first time they usually ask if I'll do their car next. I tell them that I'll do it for $150. No takers yet, and no one axes twice.

I love getting up early (around 6:30) Saturday mornings and spending a couple of hours on 'em. It's relaxation for me. If you keep on it, it's not too difficult to maintain. Our garage blocks the sun completely until around noon this time of year so it's a nice shady spot to do it. Plus, I finally got the driveway paved awhile back (after the builder's nightmare finally ended, but that's another story). That makes a world of difference.

It might be worth the $150 in amusement to have you detail my 1994 Tercel. :wacko:

I detail her Toyota Corrolla (however the f you spell that car that tried to kill us back in the big one) a few times a year. It makes the ricers cry after I do. :D

Kid -

What are you detailing? At least one show car I take it.

I wouldn't call her a show car but I do my best to keep her looking better than the average car.

My baby

It might be worth the $150 in amusement to have you detail my 1994 Tercel. :wacko:

An illustration of our differences.

You are an elitist academic who is poisoning young impressionable minds with leftist dogma (who couldn't hold a real job if he tried).

I am a working man of the people (who wouldn't detail that piece of schit for $1,000).

I wouldn't call her a show car but I do my best to keep her looking better than the average car.

My baby

Very nice.

Be careful. if Timmaayyyyyy clicks on that link, he's going to try to give you a reacharound.

I love that people are finally using MY handmedowns.

Your buddy got a lousy start - did he lose traction or is the Cobra just geared high?

He sucks at racing because he's driving a Mustang. He did reel me in a couple of times and win by a nose. I'm mostly stock...he's not.

Umm, your tranny is leaking.

Remember, when the tranny is leaking, it's a piece of crap Chevy. Otherwise, it's a Vette. :wacko:

I'd just washed it. Water gets trapped under the wheel well and other places and slowly drips out.

Remember, when the tranny is leaking, it's a piece of crap Chevy. Otherwise, it's a Vette. :D

I'd just washed it. Water gets trapped under the wheel well and other places and slowly drips out.

Leaf blower. I thought you knew better. :wacko: