[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rate my odds of success

AtomicCEO

Odds of Success  

41 members have voted

1. 1. To what degree of success will my electric car project be?

• Complete success! A Daily driver for your commute. Everyone who sees it will want one.
    • It'll work.. kinda... but you wont rely on it to commute
    • Almost! You'll find yourself short of the goal and sell it off at a loss to someone who knows what they are doing
    • Utter complete failure. Thousands of dollars in the toilet, and nothing to show for it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the low voltage caused my top speed to be 20mph... but, I still had enough torque to chirp the tires. Electrics are awesome.

Turns out I have the wrong charger, so I need to get a new one before I can get this thing up to full speed. Maybe a week before I can drive again. Rats.

So, there were two noises I was hearing:

1. The high whine, which comes from the motor, which I think is indicating not enough voltage to turn. It went away completely as soon as the motor started to turn. Probably because I was being so tentative with the accelerator so as not to fly away by mistake.

2. A crunchy noise from the transmission... seemed to get better after I moved a little. The car had been sitting for a very long time. Maybe there was a squirrels nest in there. :wacko:

So, the low voltage caused my top speed to be 20mph... but, I still had enough torque to chirp the tires. Electrics are awesome.

Turns out I have the wrong charger, so I need to get a new one before I can get this thing up to full speed. Maybe a week before I can drive again. Rats.

So, there were two noises I was hearing:

1. The high whine, which comes from the motor, which I think is indicating not enough voltage to turn. It went away completely as soon as the motor started to turn. Probably because I was being so tentative with the accelerator so as not to fly away by mistake.

2. A crunchy noise from the transmission... seemed to get better after I moved a little. The car had been sitting for a very long time. Maybe there was a squirrels nest in there. :wacko:

Very very cool. Hook me up with the facebook link I would love to see the background on this project. I have to say as a mechanic I am impressed with what you have accomplished. :tup:

• 1 month later...
bump for an update

We went cruising for chicks and got quite lucky. You know how many hippie chicks you can pick up at 20 MPH? You have to go for the more out-of-shape ones because they tire more quickly and you can catch them quicker. It also helped if you held up a free hemp sign and fake Phish tickets.

• 1 year later...
The newly formed iCon Electric Vehicle Group may be planning to live up to its name.

The “Con” part of it, that is.

On Sept. 5, the startup “’Made in USA’ Brand” sent out an impressively detailed press release announcing its intention to sell brand-new electric versions of the classic Volkswagen Beetle for less than $20,000, built with the same tooling used to manufacture the original car in Mexico until 2003.

The story was picked up enthusiastically by many automotive, tech and environmental websites, often citing each other as the source, and quickly spread across the Web. Unfortunately, they all left out one important item in their reporting: It’s hard to find evidence iCon Electric Vehicle Group actually exists.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/09/20/.../#ixzz1YYM52W4d

:wacko: