[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest Olympian?

tazinib1

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think in order to make sprinting comparable to swimming they need to add in new sprint events like:

the 100-meter backwards run

the 200-meter skip

etc. etc. etc.

200m crawl (torso-up and torso-down versions)

100m hop (1 leg and 2 leg versions)

100m roll

Talk about a great quote from Usain Bolt when asked about Michael Phelps:

I don't compare myself to Michael Phillips. He's a swimmer, I'm an athlete.

:D:D

:wacko: so, before I agree with that I'd like to see usain bolt hit a baseball. or shoot a basketball. or box. or catch or throw something. or change directions. or do anything athletic other than running real fast in a straight line. I still fail to see how running fast in a straight line is any more athletically impressive than swimming fast in a straight line.

:wacko: so, before I agree with that I'd like to see usain bolt hit a baseball. or shoot a basketball. or box. or catch or throw something. or change directions. or do anything athletic other than running real fast in a straight line. I still fail to see how running fast in a straight line is any more athletically impressive than swimming fast in a straight line.

[semantics]The 200m isn't straight[/semantics]

great quote from Bolt :D

cmon - Phelps is a great great athlete, but I will take the track guy vs the swimmer every time.......... is this even debatable?

mainstream sports is stocked with guys who ran track at a high level who are studs in their respective sports

swimmers? ehh not so much.

were human, we roll on land not water - in the pecking order of overall "athletic ability" swimming is down the list

cmon - Phelps is a great great athlete, but I will take the track guy vs the swimmer every time.......... is this even debatable?

"take" him how? in a foot race? sure. as a partner in beach volleyball, or a game of horse, or as a centerfielder? seems pretty debatable to me, because I have no idea how either of them would fare or why it would even be the least bit relevant to anything.

mainstream sports is stocked with guys who ran track at a high level who are studs in their respective sports

so guys who are good at other sports can sometimes do well in track because they run fast. all that tells me is track is relatively easy if you can run fast. doesn't mean it goes in reverse, that guys who are fast are necessarily good at anything else athletic. hand-eye coordination, reflexes, endurance...all the things that make a great all around athlete...they aren't any more inherent to an elite track athlete than they are to an elite swimmer.

track and swimming are two totally different disciplines with totally different physical demands. there are enough people competing at each worldwide that being truly elite at either is a great athletic accomplishment. this "pecking order" of yours is nothing but personal preference as a spectator, has absolutely nothing to do with the athletic demands of either.

"take" him how? in a foot race? sure. as a partner in beach volleyball, or a game of horse, or as a centerfielder? seems pretty debatable to me, because I have no idea how either of them would fare or why it would even be the least bit relevant to anything.

so guys who are good at other sports can sometimes do well in track because they run fast. all that tells me is track is relatively easy if you can run fast. doesn't mean it goes in reverse, that guys who are fast are necessarily good at anything else athletic. hand-eye coordination, reflexes, endurance...all the things that make a great all around athlete...they aren't any more inherent to an elite track athlete than they are to an elite swimmer.

track and swimming are two totally different disciplines with totally different physical demands. there are enough people competing at each worldwide that being truly elite at either is a great athletic accomplishment. this "pecking order" of yours is nothing but personal preference as a spectator, has absolutely nothing to do with the athletic demands of either.

you don't really actually believe this do you?? maybe I am missing all the elite swimmers that crossed over into other sports, elighten me please. I know quite a few D1 swimmers, I would classify ZERO as a good all around athlete- and none of them even PLAYED another sport in high school- not what I would call an all around athlete. No one is denying the physical demands of swimming, marathons, bike racing is all demanding - and in the same classification as swimming IMO - one dimensional.

sorry, in the US an athlete is measured on land - elite swimmers become bitter doochbag motivational speakers that no one cares about,

Brian Clay won the decathlon, I would say he is probably the best 'athlete" in the olympic games - Phelps won the IM- there is no comparison who the better athlete is -

Tex Schramm said he would have been waiting for Bolt in Jamaica before his plane even landed to sign him - doubt he was making a stop in Baltimore