[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hypothetical question for youse guys

Savage Beatings

What would you do if somebody stole thousands of dollars from you (let's say somewhere around $15k). You know with absolute certainty who did this and where they live, but you have zero evidence to support it... in fact the evidence on the surface looks more like it exonerates the guy. You basically can never ever prove it. But you know it, and he knows it.

The theft takes a pretty heavy toll on you and your family. It causes major stress on your marriage. It means the kids don't get new clothes for a while, maybe no Christmas presents, definitely no vacations or other luxuries.

What do you do? Do you risk going to prison for the satisfying moment of beating the living crap out of the thief (which could possibly destroy your family - prison time might mean divorce and would probably mean losing your house)? Do you kill him (or is $15k not worth that)? Since he messed with your family, do you mess with his family? Do you steal from him? Do you vandalize his house? How far do you go? What methods do you employ if any to get revenge? Or do you find a way to let it go?

If there is a paper trail, you go and get the money through the legal system.

If there is no paper trail, you can dedicate yourself to the likes of what cliaz suggested, or other means, which make it as uncomfortable for him as possible to ignore what went on. At some point, you'll have to let go, but if you have "the truth" and not merely an interpretation of "the truth" on your side, justice will prevail.

I think you guys have all jumped to the false conclusion that Savage was the one who had money taken from him.

Personally, I think he was the guy who took the money, and he's wondering how bad he's going to get it.

Interesting take. :wacko:

In that case SB, I'll need 50% of what you stole to not take 100%. :D

Do you really go to prison for beating the crap out of somebody? I spent the better part of 20 years either owning or working in bars and have seen many an arse whippin. Dont think I ever saw anyone have to do more than a night sobering up in the hold.

depends in part on whether the whoopee presses charges.

I don't know how in this day and age 15k can disappear without a trace unless you had that amount in cash in your house or something (and if you did It's raining men! Hallelulah! It's raining men!?) If you really need to have cash (dunno why again), get a safe or safe deposit box (just a thought).

I would love to hear how this guy got away with such a large amount of money undetected. Can you indicate or tell us how? Just purely out of curiosity.

Depends. 15k is still 15k, no matter how you slice it. But a business partner ripping you off for 15k on a shady deal is a whole different story than someone breaking into your house and stealing your wife's 15k engagement ring. I'd have a lot tougher time if someone not only stole from me, but desecrated my home or family. Now, in my younger days I did somethings I'm not proud of to get a bad person out of my life. But in retrospect I was gambling with my entire future over something that was worth substantially less than my entire future. And I was single.

If there is a family who depends on our protagonist for food and shelter, he needs to buck up do what's right for them. If the 15k cannot be legally regained, you'd probably have to walk away. Besides, even if our protagonist - hypothetically speaking - wanted ill-gotten vengeance, it would be better if he were to bide his time. Let memories fade. Then, years later, late at night a certain someone gets a seemingly random Molotov cocktail in the back seat of their nice new car.

Edited by yo mama

If there is a paper trail, you go and get the money through the legal system.

If there is no paper trail, you can dedicate yourself to the likes of what cliaz suggested, or other means, which make it as uncomfortable for him as possible to ignore what went on. At some point, you'll have to let go, but if you have "the truth" and not merely an interpretation of "the truth" on your side, justice will prevail.

That's what OJ said.

Besides, even if our protagonist - hypothetically speaking - wanted ill-gotten vengeance, it would be better if he were to bide his time. Let memories fade. Then, years later, late at night a certain someone gets a seemingly random Molotov cocktail in the back seat of their nice new car.

Best if there is no car insurance in place...because if there is, all you're doing is costing the insurance company (unless there is some sort of inanimate item of great value in the car that gets destroyed at the same time).

• 2 years later...

How'd I miss this one originally?!?!?!?!

I'm really thinking that said person would get knee capped or hobbled. Not sure how this would happen, let's just call it karma.