[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

9 Year old kid told he cant play baseball

whomper

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The kid isn't going to improve at all if he just keeps destroying everyone else.

Just bump him up to an older age group/more competitive league.

That's what they did when I was young.

Seems to me the realy a tasty morsel here is the Dad of the kid with the 40 mph fastball. Why doesn't he want his kid playing beneath his ability?

So your saying that, in today's real-world enviornment of dual working parents and over-filled schedules, that 9-year old boys who's parents have to juggle quite a bit and can't prepare them enough for 40-MPH fastballs (which are almost unheard of at this level) should be left behind?

I hope your trying to be funny.

I'm glad I'm not your kid. "Son...Daddy had a long day at work and I'm too tired to go practice with you."

My opinion on this comes from first hand knowledge. I was one of the lucky ones and baseball paid for my college. I played from age 5 to 22 and I never saw parents bitch because another player was too good. This is pussification defined. The whole "fragile egos" argument is bogus. What you're teaching these boys is if someone is better than you, either get rid of the competition or quit. Practice and get better. Lawyers and parents won't replace what hard work will.

And 40 mph fastballs are not almost unheard for 9 year old boys. It's actually fairly common to have a few if the league is halfway competitive.

I'm glad I'm not your kid. "Son...Daddy had a long day at work and I'm too tired to go practice with you."

My opinion on this comes from first hand knowledge. I was one of the lucky ones and baseball paid for my college. I played from age 5 to 22 and I never saw parents bitch because another player was too good. This is pussification defined. The whole "fragile egos" argument is bogus. What you're teaching these boys is if someone is better than you, either get rid of the competition or quit. Practice and get better. Lawyers and parents won't replace what hard work will.

And 40 mph fastballs are not almost unheard for 9 year old boys. It's actually fairly common to have a few if the league is halfway competitive.

Okay, let's say I agree with you. Wouldn't the 9-year old who can actually *throw* a 40mph fastball get better by practicing and playing with others who can actually *hit* a 40mph fastball? Are pitchers somehow exempt from the logic you are applying to batters? Just sayin'.

Okay, let's say I agree with you. Wouldn't the 9-year old who can actually *throw* a 40mph fastball get better by practicing and playing with others who can actually *hit* a 40mph fastball? Are pitchers somehow exempt from the logic you are applying to batters? Just sayin'.

Sure...except for the fact that he's no longer allowed to play with his friends. Plus, leagues have All-Stars for most of the summer and he'd be competing against other league's best players. I wouldn't be too worried with him facing decent competition.

I'm more worried about the message it sends to the other players.

What is the message it sends to players when the league says "Don't do x", and then you go and do x.

Teaching your kid that the rules don't apply to you because you're talented is a good way to breed a Maurice Clarett. Good luck with all that.

Sure...except for the fact that he's no longer allowed to play with his friends. Plus, leagues have All-Stars for most of the summer and he'd be competing against other league's best players. I wouldn't be too worried with him facing decent competition.

If its all about the competition, then who cares if he gets to play with his friends or not? Or are you worried about his "fragile ego?"

Alternatively, if its not all about the competition and its just a friendly league, then the league was right to do something to keep it "friendly." I think they were wrong to ban the kid; like I said above, imposing speed restrictions for a "beginners" league makes a lot more sense to me.

Bottom line: if this particular kid wants to take the training wheels off and throw some heat he can move up. If its more import to him to play with his friends, he should be able to do that too. I just don't see what this one particular kid should get to have it both ways at the expense of true beginners being able to have their fun, too.

I'm glad I'm not your kid.

For what its worth, I have bene a work-at-home dad raising 4 kids....and have plenty of time to teach them anything they want ot learn. But I have been open-minded enough to see other parents have to work 12-16 hours to put food on the table and pay rent. Often, their kids are playing with me and other dads, and learning what they can through us. I don't judge their homelife...I know their parents are doing everything they can to provide the basics. I am fairly certain teaching their 9-year-old kids to hit a 40 MPH fastball is pretty far down their priorty list. Providing for food, shelter and healthcare strangely are more important.

Oddly, not once in this entire thread have you answered anyone's question of "why not move the kid to a higher level of competition, rather than have him dominate the rather mediocre league he is in?". Why doesn't that seem more the most logical answer that would serve everyone's best interest?

But we do agree on one thing...I too am glad you are not my kid.....I'd be terribly ashamed of my parenting skills.

What is the message it sends to players when the league says "Don't do x", and then you go and do x.

Teaching your kid that the rules don't apply to you because you're talented is a good way to breed a Maurice Clarett. Good luck with all that.

Let's call it what it is. That's a chicken sh*t league. The fact that it's coed tells me everything. So what's probably best for this boy is to find a real youth baseball league. That would probably solve the problem. Moving the kid up a league is not an option...at least it wouldn't be for me. Most of the leagues here 5-6, 7-8, 9-10, 11-12 and so on. Moving him up would put him with 12 year old boys. I wouldn't want my boy hanging out with kids 3 years older. Big difference between 9 and 12.

Not sure I get your reference to MC.

Let's call it what it is. That's a chicken sh*t league.

You know what else is chicken sh*t, dad? The coach. Screw that guy. I'm not following his rules.

You know what else is chicken sh*t, dad? The Vice Principal. I punched him in the face.

You know what else is chicken sh*t, dad? This cop telling me to pull over. I'm making a run for it.

Thanks for teaching me the lesson that I only have to follow the rules that aren't for puss:es. I rule!

You know what else is chicken sh*t, dad? The coach. Screw that guy. I'm not following his rules.

You know what else is chicken sh*t, dad? The Vice Principal. I punched him in the face.

You know what else is chicken sh*t, dad? This cop telling me to pull over. I'm making a run for it.

Thanks for teaching me the lesson that I only have to follow the rules that aren't for puss:es. I rule!

Um...maybe the kid's coach told him to pitch. :wacko:

I don't think a 9 year old just said "I'm going to stick it to the man."

Um...maybe the kid's coach told him to pitch. :wacko:

I don't think a 9 year old just said "I'm going to stick it to the man."

Kids never learn things at that age. You're probably right. The lesson he's getting from violating league rules and becoming a media celebrity over it is probably a good one.

Kids never learn things at that age. You're probably right. The lesson he's getting from violating league rules and becoming a media celebrity over it is probably a good one.

You've got to be the best employee on the planet. Just do as your told...don't worry about standing up for what's right.

Seriously, in the kid's defense the coach may have told him to play. In that case the kid should follow the coach. I'll have to re-read the article and investigate. I didn't realize that was the topic at issue.

Seriously, in the kid's defense the coach may have told him to play. In that case the kid should follow the coach. I'll have to re-read the article and investigate. I didn't realize that was the topic at issue.

:wacko:

I'm not saying that the kid was at fault.

All I want to know is if the kid has comparable hitting and fielding skills to go with the 40 mph fast ball?

After I know this I can decide whether there is just cause to move him up an age group.

Also, these parents are being a bunch of puss ies. I remember when I was younger, I was an all star in DeKalb at my youth league. We moved to Cobb County, my dad warned me that the baseball was much more serious. He was right, those kids were good. I played for as long as I could, never gave up, it just got to the point where I couldn't make teams. Anyway, I don't ever recall any kid being moved up an age group, the excellent players helped to improve everyones game.

I don't think that I have ever seen a story that has evoked more "when I was a kid" stories than this one. :D

Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.

:wacko:

More here

Controversy Over 9-Year-Old Pitcher Divides League

By PAUL DOYLE | Courant Staff Writer

August 27, 2008

NEW HAVEN - — By Tuesday afternoon, Jericho Scott's story was an Internet sensation.

Bloggers were commenting, sports talk radio hosts were skewering the Youth Baseball League of New Haven, and Jericho was a 9-year-old cause célèbre. The story line was etched: A kid was kicked out of his league because he was too good.

So at 6 p.m., parents, coaches and kids gathered at New Haven's Criscuolo Park to tell their side of the story. With cameras from Connecticut's TV stations lining the infield, a procession of speakers defended the league's decision to bar Jericho from pitching.

It was the latest twist in a bizarre battle between adults concerning a kid with a 40 mph fastball.

"It's unfortunate that it's gotten to this point," said Peter Noble, the league's attorney. "This has escalated out of control."

First, some background. The Youth Baseball League of New Haven — otherwise known as Liga Juvenil de Baseball de New Haven — is a community league with no affiliation to Little League or any other sanctioning body. The league, in its third year, is made up of more than 100 boys and girls from New Haven neighborhoods, and has teams sponsored by local businesses.

There is a division for ages 8-10, another for ages 10-12. League officials say they make their own rules and bylaws based on the experience and skill of the players.

"Let's be real," said Abraham Hernandez, who sponsors a team. "We've got teens getting killed in the city and we've got the mayor concerned, not knowing what to do. And we've got a league that's taking these kids off the street. They're here in the park, playing ball."

Trouble began Aug. 9, nearly a month after the season started. As Will Power Fitness defeated Bomberos Hispanos 12-3, Jericho pitched five innings in his league debut.

According to league officials, parents expressed concern because Jericho threw so hard. He pitched three innings the next day and more parents conveyed their concern, according to the league.

When Jericho pitched five innings Aug. 13, coaches and league officials told Will Power Fitness coach Wilfred Vidro that parents were worried about the safety of their children and they suggested Jericho play another position. An argument ensued and Vidro — according to Noble — threatened to leave the league before agreeing to keep Jericho off the mound.

Over the next week, league officials say they spoke to Vidro and to Jericho's parents, Leroy and Nicole Scott. Noble says it was suggested that Jericho should move to the higher division, but Nicole Scott didn't like the idea.

Vidro sent Jericho to the mound Aug. 20 after a warning from an umpire. League officials say Nicole Scott came onto the field and threatened them. The game was called and members of Carlito's Barber Shop left to taunts from parents of the Will Power Fitness players.

"Thing escalated to a very, very ugly point," Noble said. "That particular day, it was a very hostile environment, a very unhealthy environment for the players."

The league says Vidro resigned. The team was disbanded, with players given the opportunity to shift to other teams. Vidro says he was fired by the league.

Parents of Will Power Fitness players went to the New Haven Register and the story picked up speed. Jericho's parents hired lawyer John Williams, who plans to meet with parents this week.

"I've had cases before involving both players and coaches in youth athletics, and it is invariably terrible what the adults do," Williams said. "I've never seen one before where excellence is being punished."

Williams said the dispute has nothing to do with safety concerns. Jericho was recruited by Carlito's Barber Shop, Williams said, and his parents' decision to join Will Power Fitness left coaches and parents from other teams envious.

"The concern was, we want him on our team," Williams said. "The problem is, it's not part of national Little League. It's a local league, run by small businessmen with small minds."

Williams said Jericho hasn't hit a batter all season. But Roberto Melendez, a coach for Carlito's, said the accuracy of a 9-year-old can vary from pitch to pitch.

"We don't want to punish Jericho," Melendez said. "He's good. This is just the wrong league for him. We've got kids here, they've never played before. What if one pitch got away and hit someone?"

Jericho's team was 8-0 and going to the playoffs, but the league's actions likely will prevent the team from competing.

"I expect that there will be litigation," Williams said. "It's not going to make things change because it's going to be too late, but we hope to send a message to these people and others like them."

Back at Criscuolo Park Tuesday night, parents were talking about the comments by ESPN bloggers and the chatter on the radio.

"We had to tell our side," Noble said. "We just need to work this out."

Some tidbits I found interesting:

" Noble says it was suggested that Jericho should move to the higher division, but Nicole Scott didn't like the idea."

"League officials say Nicole Scott came onto the field and threatened them. The game was called and members of Carlito's Barber Shop left to taunts from parents of the Will Power Fitness players."

"Thing escalated to a very, very ugly point," Noble said. "That particular day, it was a very hostile environment, a very unhealthy environment for the players."

"Jericho's parents hired lawyer John Williams, who plans to meet with parents this week."

At the end of the day, no matter what side you are on, it seems the more I read about this, it is becoming apparent that the very kids these fektardish parents are trying to fight for are the very ones they are hurting by the example they are setting.

Bunch of dirty messicans, they should run a green card check at the next game and deport them all.

And Jerihco is probably 14.

I bet this is a cover up for a drug smuggling ring, them baselines is 100 percent mexican blow. And, Carlito's Barber shop is about to put out a hit on Jerhico and his padre.

Bunch of dirty messicans, they should run a green card check at the next game and deport them all.

And Jerihco is probably 14.

I bet this is a cover up for a drug smuggling ring, them baselines is 100 percent mexican blow. And, Carlito's Barber shop is about to put out a hit on Jerhico and his padre.

I don't think they have Mexicans in Connecticut. We had Puerto Ricans.

But yes about the drugs.

I don't think they have Mexicans in Connecticut. We had Puerto Ricans.

But yes about the drugs.

All, please replace "dirty messican" in my previous post with "when I wore my first dressing puerto ricans".

Thanks for the heads up, sometimes my ignorance gets the best of me.

Sounds like it s a social league to keep kids at risk off the streets, by the name of the league and team names mostly made up of hispanic kids?

Going to be a lot of he said going on. suprised there isn't You tube video out there.