[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

9 Year old kid told he cant play baseball

whomper

I don't think they have Mexicans in Connecticut. We had Puerto Ricans.

But yes about the drugs.

I just googled "connecticut and mexican immigrants", they're ther and a couple of them are up on capital murder charges.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like it s a social league to keep kids at risk off the streets, by the name of the league and team names mostly made up of hispanic kids?

Going to be a lot of he said going on. suprised there isn't You tube video out there.

They've already pawned the video cameras that they stole, how else they gonna buy gloves, bats and balls for the league.

More here

so, little jericho's parents are clearly d-bags, hiring a lawyer and all that nonsense (I can't necessarily blame them for not wanting to move him up to the 10-12 league, a lot of factors can go into that decision). but still, this thing was obviously precipitated by a bunch of a tasty morsel parents getting together to "protect" their a tasty morsel kids by throwing a 9 year-old off his baseball team because he's too good. the whole thing just reflects so badly on all of these parents, coaches, lawyers -- hell, on our society as a whole. pusslification of america? check. over-competitive type-A dbags living vicariously through their kids? check. media retardation? check. what the f*ck is wrong with people? :D

edit: p.u.s.s.l.y = "a tasty morsel" :D

DMD = colonel angus? :wacko:

Edited by Azazello1313

The boys parents may not be handling this perfectly dont get me wrong but keep in mind it said the boy has been pretty depressed about this because he feels its his fault games are getting forfieted and that kids arent playing. If I am a parent and my kid is bummed about things that are happening because my kid is tioo good I may get a little aggressive myself.

The boys parents may not be handling this perfectly dont get me wrong but keep in mind it said the boy has been pretty depressed about this because he feels its his fault games are getting forfieted and that kids arent playing. If I am a parent and my kid is bummed about things that are happening because my kid is tioo good I may get a little aggressive myself.

Isn't it at least partly his (more likely his parents) fault though? Whether you think its acceptable or not, wouldn't this whole mess have been avoided if he agreed to play another position for the rest of the year? Isn't this more a comment on the "me-me-me" aspect of today's society than it is on the over-protectiveness of parents or the so-called pussification of America?

The more I read about this thing, the more I blame his parents. It appears to me that they are the personification of parents living vicariously through the exploits of their child. I get the sense that they take pleasure at watching the other kids get scared sh*tless because of their boy. I'm wondering if the kid really wants to pitch that badly that he'd rather not play, then play another position.

Isn't it at least partly his (more likely his parents) fault though? Whether you think its acceptable or not, wouldn't this whole mess have been avoided if he agreed to play another position for the rest of the year? Isn't this more a comment on the "me-me-me" aspect of today's society than it is on the over-protectiveness of parents or the so-called pussification of America?

The more I read about this thing, the more I blame his parents. It appears to me that they are the personification of parents living vicariously through the exploits of their child. I get the sense that they take pleasure at watching the other kids get scared sh*tless because of their boy. I'm wondering if the kid really wants to pitch that badly that he'd rather not play, then play another position.

The kid obviously has talent as a pitcher. Why should he have to give that up?

If this were my kid I'd just move him to another league that was competitive. He needs to be playing with better players anyway. Making the kid play against 12 year old boys would not be an option for me.

This is a classic case of parents getting way too involved. I wonder how many of the other kids actually complained. I've seen a lot of parents ruin the game and make the kids miserable by being way too involved and screaming shi*t from the stands.

Whether you think its acceptable or not, wouldn't this whole mess have been avoided if he agreed to play another position for the rest of the year? Isn't this more a comment on the "me-me-me" aspect of today's society than it is on the over-protectiveness of parents or the so-called pussification of America?

no. your characterization of doing what you're good at and doing it well as "me-me-me" is an example of the pussification of america.

he's good at picthing so he should be forced to do something else? :wacko:

no. your characterization of doing what you're good at and doing it well as "me-me-me" is an example of the pussification of america.

he's good at picthing so he should be forced to do something else? :D

Forced? Have you lost your mind?

Its a voluntary league, which includes 8 year old girls. He doesn't have to play in it if he doesn't want to. He can go play in another league if he wants.

:wacko:

No one is winning this blame game

Dave Solmon, Register Sports Columnist08/27/2008

Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendly

NEW HAVEN — While the rest of the country has already determined that the satanic Liga Juvenil de Baseball of New Haven scores its double plays 6-6-6, we are here to remind all of those who want in on Jericho Scott’s 15 minutes of fame that there are two halves of every inning.

At its worst, the Liga Juvenil de Baseball (LJB) is a league that can’t get its story straight, that can’t figure out who and what it is, and a league that doesn’t fully understand the perception that has prompted Robin Roberts, Jay Leno, Ellen DeGeneres, Jimmy Kimmel, Mitch Albom and so many other to seize on New Haven’s inhumanity to man.

But it is not a league that fails to care deeply about its children and its community — and a league that stands together today because of those facts, even while the rest of the free world is reviled by the notion that little Jericho — age 10, today, and happy birthday, by the way — has been denied his inalienable rights to pitch under the Bill of Rights.

We feel his pain, not because the LJB is a villainous gang, but because lawyers and politics and little league parents have turned his life upside down.

Jericho Scott also plays for an all-star team in the Dom Aitro League in New Haven, where he is coach Mark Gambardella’s fourth-best pitcher and only recently installed as the regular second baseman. We should all be sad when Gambardella says that “the kid is a wreck” over all the attention and the associated guilt trip of a 9-year-old who thinks he has done something wrong.

Conversely, we’re guessing that Nicole and Leroy Scott, the parents of the young man, are on a thrill ride, judging by the comments made by Nicole Scott when a league team threatened to pull its team off the field if Jericho pitched in a game on Aug. 20. According to several earwitnesses that day, Nicole Scott threatened to bring the league to its knees, using vulgar language within earshot of the players.

Like most around the country upon hearing of Jericho Scott’s plight, I was appalled that this kid was being harassed, indirectly as it may be, by league administrators and parents. What do you mean he’s a menace to the batters? Everyone agrees he throws hard and straight. Moreover, I talked to no less than four kids who have faced Jericho Scott without fear in the Dom Aitro League, and at least a couple of them profess to have hits off of him.

But there is a foul smell when a team that is 4-0 with a full complement of players and suddenly adds two Dom Aitro all-stars in mid-year while other teams of modest ability, including at least one team with a short roster, are left to struggle.

“This is a fun league, and it really doesn’t have many rules,” said Chris Helland, whose daughter, Danajah, and nephew, Frankie Scalo, both 10, play for J&I Luncheonette. ”I’ve been with this league from the start, and whenever they have a discussion (over some league issue), they get together and agree on rules. That’s how we decided upon the pitching (total pitches). Otherwise you’d have the same kid pitch every game.”

And here’s where the whole affair takes another sordid turn. Some people in the league bemoan the fact that Jericho has pitched more than is reasonably necessary. In his first day in the league, Aug. 9, a Saturday, Scott pitched five innings. The next day, he pitched three more innings. In the following game, Wednesday, Aug. 13, he pitched another five innings — after which the league was ready to disband Will Power Fitness, unless it gave assurances the Scott wouldn’t pitch any longer.

Understand that this is not your Williamsport-styled little league. It is not affiliated with the official brand and it is best called a developmental league. So when little Jericho and his fastball turned up in mid-season to blow 40 mile per hour smoke past uncertain newbie batters game after game, there were raised eyebrows throughout the league.

Tuesday, in response to threats of a suit from an angry Nicole Scott, the LJB held a disjointed press conference at Criscuolo Field. Attorney Peter Noble, the league’s advisor, hemmed and hawed his way through real questions and kept getting back to the fact that league parents were in fear for the eyes, ears, and noses of their precious kids.

Yet there are a couple others in the league who throw almost as hard with less control. No one is demanding that they turn in their pitching spikes. Moreover, Carlito’s Barber Shop, the team that finished first the previous two seasons, actively pursued Jericho Scott for their team prior to the season.

So is this whole Jericho Scott story a political backlash at Will Power Fitness, to some, an increasingly renegade team in a league where the emphasis of many is on the most elemental teaching aspects of the game? Therein lies the inherent inconsistencies of the LJB because in one breath, the league purports to be all about “Community and Family” (the words on the T-shirts that were distributed to parents for press conference purposes Tuesday). Yet, if it truly wants to be a developmental league, don’t keep score and don’t crown champions. You either play to win or you play only for fun.

One interested observer to the dysfunctional attempt at the press conference was Wayne Morrison, coach of the 9-10 all-star team in the affiliated Pop Smith Little League in New Haven. He came here thinking, from everything that he’d heard the past couple of days, that a gross injustice was being perpetrated upon Jericho Scott and Will Power Fitness.

“I’ve never heard of anything like this ... it was unbelievable ... a kid kind of being denied a chance to play because he’s too good,” Morrison said. “Our first reaction was, Wayne, go over there, find the kid and bring him over to Pop Smith. We’ll welcome him with open arms. It kind of took me for a loop. And then I came out here and I was talking to some of the people who are involved in this and my understanding is that this team was beating other teams (by lopsided scores), and they were trying to kind of balance things.

“The more information I get, the more I understand. You’re talking about 9- and 10-year-old kids here. Is the main thing winning? Sometimes it’s not. I’m just amazed how they let him on this team. I would question that. If a team is 6-0 and you put two all-star kids on it, are you balancing things out? So I’m kind of confused at what the issue is here.”

Around the country, it’s pretty black and white. The LJB of New Haven is being picked over by the pundits and talk show celebrities who have their cause celebre of the moment. But the Liga Juvenil de Baseball of New Haven will survive the ridicule another day, and other year, because enough good people in the community have their hearts in the right place. Jericho Scott, sadly, is caught in the crossfire of a situation that should have been handled with reason instead of threats.

link

Edited by Furd

[/quote

BS. This whole me, me, me, thing cuts both directions here. On the other side are the parents that don't want their kids to look bad. Much like the rest of this society today, this group of people is penalizing and ostracizing the one who excels rather than trying to pull themselves up to his level. Look, they would all be happy if their kid were the best, but their kid isn't. After Jehrico is gone are they gonna throw out the next best player that is superlative?

And here’s where the whole affair takes another sordid turn. Some people in the league bemoan the fact that Jericho has pitched more than is reasonably necessary. In his first day in the league, Aug. 9, a Saturday, Scott pitched five innings. The next day, he pitched three more innings. In the following game, Wednesday, Aug. 13, he pitched another five innings — after which the league was ready to disband Will Power Fitness, unless it gave assurances the Scott wouldn’t pitch any longer.

As much as I still feel the kid should be able to pitch the above bolded part is bad form by the kids coaches bigtime.

Edited by whomper

As much as I still feel the kid should be able to pitch the above bolded part is bad form by the kids coaches bigtime.

It is very bad form and just shows that they care more about winning than they do the kid.

A good rule of thumb for pitchers is for every pitch thrown, rest an hour. So if he throws 60 pitches in a game, he shouldn't pitch again for 60 hours (or 2-3 days). You can tear arms up even at this age.

It is very bad form and just shows that they care more about winning than they do the kid.

A good rule of thumb for pitchers is for every pitch thrown, rest an hour. So if he throws 60 pitches in a game, he shouldn't pitch again for 60 hours (or 2-3 days). You can tear arms up even at this age.

You're complicated.

Are the developmental leagues with girls and boys playing for the first time, or real little leagues?

Both girls and boys. Some kids have more experience then others. 40 MPH is not that outstanding. When I coached the 9-10 year old allstars, we faced kids who threw in the low 50s who were 9 years old.

Both girls and boys. Some kids have more experience then others. 40 MPH is not that outstanding. When I coached the 9-10 year old allstars, we faced kids who threw in the low 50s who were 9 years old.

Those kids should be banished from the planet

Good follow up info from Furd. The more I read the funkier the story gets!

"So when little Jericho and his fastball turned up in mid-season to blow 40 mile per hour smoke past uncertain newbie batters game after game, there were raised eyebrows throughout the league."

Why would the kid come into the league after four games, sound s to me that this league is FUBAR because they make up rules as they go.

"Yet there are a couple others in the league who throw almost as hard with less control. No one is demanding that they turn in their pitching spikes."

How does the league explain that???

"Jericho Scott also plays for an all-star team in the Dom Aitro League in New Haven, where he is coach Mark Gambardella’s fourth-best pitcher and only recently installed as the regular second baseman. "

So the kid plays in a highly competitive league and does not dominate. This is similar to our program, we have a regular league and a travel team that is made up of the best players frorm all the teams. Kids that may be studs on the regular team are average on the travel team. It helps them get better as they play with and against better players.

However we do keep score in the regular league and we do have league champions. It is competitive, but the teams are balanced because the kids are drafted not recuited.

This case is no longer black or white in my opinion. Both sides have blame.