[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not sure how to approach this...

Cunning Runt

Ok, so draft night everyone was drinking it up, etc... and an envelope was passed around, people wrote their name on it and put their entry fee ($200) in it.

I'm the commish and when I looked at the money the next day, it was $100 short vs. what was written and what was actually in it.

Everyone in the league had access to the envelope at one point or another.

I'm not looking for - "you should have done this, etc...". I'm looking for suggestions as to how to handle the situation as immediately presents itself.

I honestly don't think someone would have pinched, but who knows? Seems that if I reduce the overall payouts by that $100, those that actually paid $200 are getting the shaft. As commish, I feel a sense of obligation to make the pot whole, but then I'm personally out an extra $100 which doesn't sit real well with me. One of the other very trust-worthy league members started up the envelope. I was gonna collect it after the fact when we weren't all partying it up to avoid this very kind of thing happening.

Again, I know what to do for next year and beyond. My question is - what do I do about the situation as it stands?

What say you?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your the commish and responsible.

I didn't even know the envelope was going around. I had every intention of waiting and collecting it later when I could take inventory as the money was collected. One of the other guys took it upon himself to "help me". I never saw the envelope as my entry fee consisted of paying for the website and the room at the hotel where we held the draft.

While I kind of agree with your statement, from a "how it went down" practical standpoint, I don't.

It could have been an honest mistake on someones part or someone is not as trustworty as you think. If you bring it up to the group it could cause a rift. Bottom line is you may have to eat the money this year or possibly cause a problem.

It was brought up to the group as soon as I discovered the shortfall. I wanted to get everyone's take to see if anyone had made a mistake. It won't cause a rift, but it will serve as a learning lesson for next time for sure.

1) Ask them all if they could have possibly been short. (Didn't see your post, sorry. Skip this step.)

2) If the pot is short, and no one fesses up, change the payouts. What ya'll get for having a cheapskate welcher in the league. Who could come away $100.00 richer and not know it? Puleeze. :wacko:

2) Change your collection process ASAP.

Edited by cre8tiff

I didn't even know the envelope was going around. I had every intention of waiting and collecting it later when I could take inventory as the money was collected. One of the other guys took it upon himself to "help me". I never saw the envelope as my entry fee consisted of paying for the website and the room at the hotel where we held the draft.

While I kind of agree with your statement, from a "how it went down" practical standpoint, I don't.

Unless you've got reason to believe this information would cause some huge fuss, I don't see any reason not to simply let everyone know it was short. It could have been an honest mistake. You've already paid for the league and the hotel. Why should you foot the bill?

If you are dripping in cash and want to avoid drama, then just put it in and forget it.

Wow, great commish. :wacko:

Dude, tell me about it. That's exactly how I feel.

I thought I had things completely under control as I had always been the guy that collects the cash. I was completely unaware that one of the other league guys had taken it upon himself to pass the hat, so to speak. The last thing on my mind that night was collecting fees. I knew everyone would be good for it later so it caught me off guard to be going through my shi-t the next day to find the envelope and then, short on top of that.

It was brought up to the group as soon as I discovered the shortfall. I wanted to get everyone's take to see if anyone had made a mistake. It won't cause a rift, but it will serve as a learning lesson for next time for sure.

OK. Scratch my prior post. This info would have been helpful in the first post....

I don't see the issue here. Either reduce the payout or ask everyone to chip in on the shortfall.

Why was he so eager to "help you out" there? :wacko:

Dude, tell me about it. That's exactly how I feel.

I thought I had things completely under control as I had always been the guy that collects the cash. I was completely unaware that one of the other league guys had taken it upon himself to pass the hat, so to speak. The last thing on my mind that night was collecting fees. I knew everyone would be good for it later so it caught me off guard to be going through my shi-t the next day to find the envelope and then, short on top of that.

Is the dude passing the hat above reproach? :D

Edit to Add:

Why was he so eager to "help you out" there? :wacko:

:D

Edited by cre8tiff

I didn't even know the envelope was going around. I had every intention of waiting and collecting it later when I could take inventory as the money was collected. One of the other guys took it upon himself to "help me".

there is your primary suspect.

there is no way you should be forced to eat the $100, especially as it was not your idea to pass the damned envelope. reduce it out of payouts pro rata. explain to the league that as a result of honest mistake or whatever, the pot ended up $100 short, so payouts have to be reduced, and next year a tighter accounting will take place. :wacko:

I would email each owner individually first asking if they could have made a mistake when placing their money in the envelope.

If nothing comes from that I would put out an email to the entire league letting them know what happened.

I would then ask each owner to vote on:

1. to pay the extra $100.00 between them ($8.33 / $10.00)

2. to lower the payouts across the board a total of $100

The guy who decided to "HELP YOU OUT" is responsible IMO. Just the fact that out of the blue he decides to get the envelope going is a red flag. Maybe HE was short and wanted to get his short money in the envelope before anybody else could see?

Exactly my first thought. Who does this themselves - without telling the commish - when the commish has always done it themselves? Someone who needs $100 desperately, that's who.

:wacko: cmon - there is boozing involved people- y'all are so quick to accuse, dayum

booze, cash bunch of guys hangin- probly an honest mistake and should he handled as such, some dood may have been light, and forgot about it -

ask and see if anyone fesses up if not- just lessen overall pot by a hundie -

and make sure it doesn't happen again, yo