[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Car question

Cunning Runt

I know next to nothing about cars so I'm looking for some help.

My wife's Kia Sedona minivan has both the brake and battery lights come on at the same time, but not always. This just started a few hours ago.

I turned the iginition on when she got home and it did it. I turned the van off, started it again and it didn't do it. Van seems to sound ok and runs fine.

Any ideas? Sensor maybe?

:wacko:

She probably owns the engine light and the gas tank light on her dashboard light fantasy team, and wanted those other two lights to fail???

And here I gave you props in the other thread where you had an even better shot at me and didn't take it.

Actually, she was trying to trade for the engine light. She currently only has the team alternator light.

Seriously though, a little online research did suggest it's probably an alternator. Apparently there was a bulletin issued a few years ago that pretty much described these symptoms. That's not something I want to have fail when she's driving around - especially since she's carting our kids around as much as she does. We dropped it off at the dealer already tonight. Hopefully they fix it tomorow and on their dime.

'Twas the alternator.

It's $249 for the part and 4hrs labor (gotta remove portions of the AC to get to it) at $85/hr so it was going to cost approx. $600 but fortunately it was under warranty still (gotta love 100k mile warranties) so all we had to pay was a $50 deductible.

Done and everything's good.

I totally suck when it comes to car repairs. True dat.

Edited by Cunning Runt