[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

car batteries

CaP'N GRuNGe

One of our vehicles wouldn't start this morning (click click click) so I assume we need a new battery. I don't recall every buying a battery from an auto parts store. Usually I've ended up replacing them at a shop either when something else was going on or because of the warranty (dealer).

Any recommendations on where to go for a good solid battery at a decent price? I assume any chain auto parts store will do?

I also assume you just pull the other one out and pop the new one in and you're good to go? (Yes I'm not very knowledgeable with cars.)

Of course when the one wouldn't start we carpooled and took the other into work today and after my wife dropped me off she said the check engine light came on and it was acting like it wanted to overheat a bit at the stop lights. Thermostat maybe?

It seems like the last time we had car issues it was both at the same time as well. :wacko:

As far as the battery goes yes just pick up the right size and your good to go. I usually go with Die Hard.

As far as the engine light that a little confusing because if it was over heating the coolant light should have gone on but I can't say for sure with out knowing the the year and make.

As far as the battery goes yes just pick up the right size and your good to go. I usually go with Die Hard.

As far as the engine light that a little confusing because if it was over heating the coolant light should have gone on but I can't say for sure with out knowing the the year and make.

Had the car at the airport sitting over 2 weeks when we were on vacation. Got back and drove home and the engine light came on then on the drive. Got home and shut it off. Opened and closed the gas cap because I've heard it can be something as simple as that. Check engine light came on for another short drive. Turned it off and turned it back on. Light did not come back on for last couple of days. Today it came back on again and she said the guage was creaping up around the 3/4 mark or so at the lights. Car is a 2002 Chevy Impala. Have to get something else checked out so probably will try take it in somewhere this weekend and have them check it out. Hate going to repair shops because you never know if you're getting screwed or not.

Thanks for the advice on the battery.

I usually buy mine at Autozone. They offer a good selection and stand by their brand.

+1 on Autozone, and I've had good luck with the higher-quality Wal-mart batteries (the yellow ones, NOT the cheap black ones). The one in my truck (died late on a Sat night when I was going out of town on Sunday) has been in there for four plus years, since 120K miles or so (nearly 180K on it now).

Can't recommend a do-it-yourself place, but we have a very reputable Goodyear dealer that is honest and does the whole magilla!

Years ago I used to all my own repairs. Brakes, mufflers, tune-ups, the whole nine yards. When all this electronic crap showed up, i had the advantage of being able to let the school I was working for do repairs (no labor, just parts).

My point is, a shop will checkout your electrical system to make sure it IS the batt.. You never said how old the current batt. is. 4-5 years is about the max, regardless of original or replacement.

The light is another deal. Do you have a temp. gauge or just a light. Could be a thermstat, but again, I think a good shop will solve both problems w/ minimal guessing!

Good Luck!

Edited by rocknrobn26

I usually buy mine at Autozone. They offer a good selection and stand by their brand.

+1 and i think they will actually install it for you for free while you wait(if you can jump start your car to get it there) and I think they will test the alternator to make sure its good too (free too)

check your manual it will usually tell you what a warning light is actually warning you about....on my ford explorer the check engine light means that there is a problem with the EMISSION SYSTEM and I think that is what most if not all check engine lights refer to.

Edited by keggerz

+1 and i think they will actually install it for you for free while you wait(if you can jump start your car to get it there) and I think they will test the alternator to make sure its good too (free too)

Got it to start (the vehicle with the dead battery) and drove it first to a shop. They wanted something like 139.99 for a battery and 40 bucks for an electrical system check. I figured screw that and with 49,000 miles on the vehicle it was probably just the battery (original) and drove to Autozone. They tested it and it was bad. Didn't think to have them test the alternator. They said they'd put it in for me but they were busy with other people pulling up, at least a couple batteries, so I did it myself in their parking lot and saved a bit of money with an 89.99 battery. Seems to be running fine now.

Now we'll see what the other vehicle costs me...

timely thread....

I too am having an issue with the battery...or I think I am.

When I turn the ignition, I get nothing....no clicks, nothing....the radio/AC/lights work fine.....it takes me 4-5 turns of the ignition, and then, for some reason, the car starts. However, this has creeped up from just needing to turn the ignition 1-2 times....now it takes 4-5 times.

I did notice that if I turn the steering column, then take the key out, then try it again, it usually starts up.

What could be going on? Battery? Starter? Alternator? Cables? :wacko: seems odd that I get silence the first few turns of the ignition, but then all of the sudden, it turns over.

EDIT: 1998 Camry, 101,000 miles, battery age is unknown...I think I replaced it 4-5 years ago.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

timely thread....

I too am having an issue with the battery...or I think I am.

When I turn the ignition, I get nothing....no clicks, nothing....the radio/AC/lights work fine.....it takes me 4-5 turns of the ignition, and then, for some reason, the car starts. However, this has creeped up from just needing to turn the ignition 1-2 times....now it takes 4-5 times.

I did notice that if I turn the steering column, then take the key out, then try it again, it usually starts up.

What could be going on? Battery? Starter? Alternator? Cables? :wacko: seems odd that I get silence the first few turns of the ignition, but then all of the sudden, it turns over.

EDIT: 1998 Camry, 101,000 miles, battery age is unknown...I think I replaced it 4-5 years ago.

Sounds like a bad ignition switch or steering column. Like a loose/bare wire.

plus 2. Have them install it and check your charging system for no charge.

From my expierence Sears tries to rip you off and make you buy an alternator. I will never go to a Sears Car Service center again. :wacko: They tried to get me but I didn't.

I'm trying to recall exactly what I had happen one time but they had to replace the ignition switch because of it. I think it was the fan not wanting to come on when I turned it on. Strange that the switch had anything to do with that, some kind of electrical thing I guess. Or I'm misremembering...

One of our vehicles wouldn't start this morning (click click click) so I assume we need a new battery. I don't recall every buying a battery from an auto parts store. Usually I've ended up replacing them at a shop either when something else was going on or because of the warranty (dealer).

Any recommendations on where to go for a good solid battery at a decent price? I assume any chain auto parts store will do?

Go to Autozone. They'll hook up your battery and tell you if it's really your battery or alternator. Bad alternator will just drain your battery down again.

I usually tip 'em $5, but the service is free at Autozone.

:wacko:

I'd suggest googling your make model vehicle + the word 'forum or message board' and browsing some forums. Helpful for when/if you go to your mechanic and you have an idea what's the issue (and how much it should cost you when they give an estimate)

:wacko:

I'd suggest googling your make model vehicle + the word 'forum or message board' and browsing some forums. Helpful for when/if you go to your mechanic and you have an idea what's the issue (and how much it should cost you when they give an estimate)

He tried that but 83 Pinto yielded no results